Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:23 PM

Love the win by howgood tonight

#722 GrindL1n3

GrindL1n3

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:59 PM

^Wish I could say this^

Anytime I start to change my tune and give Howard the benefit of the doubt..

. .   . Thump .. . .

(that was the sound of a ball dropping)

Somethings gotta give..

#723 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:06 AM

He's been good down the stretch until this game. Is Quick below average then since he's let in 12 goals in 2 games?

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#724 Hack & Whack Rule!

Hack & Whack Rule!

Goofy Wingnut

• PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:23 AM

I've liked Howard...in the past...before today's game...where he assisted on Boston's goal. What a dumbass move that was! It's like he went into complete panic mode. He could have pushed that puck up centre ice, slightly to his left, and he would have been fine. Time to retire, Jimmy.

Uhh...you might want to duck!

#725 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:24 AM

I've liked Howard...in the past...before today's game...where he assisted on Boston's goal. What a dumbass move that was! It's like he went into complete panic mode. He could have pushed that puck up centre ice, slightly to his left, and he would have been fine. Time to retire, Jimmy.

Definition of knee-jerk?

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#726 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:36 AM

Howard's never been very good at handling the puck, so a play like this shouldn't be entirely too surprising, like the guy or not. It's a weakness of his game, and all goalies have weaknesses. It was a terrible play and utterly atrocious timing for such a play, but if you liked the guy before and this is the only reason you're bent out of shape now, you either haven't been paying too close of attention or you'll get over it. I suspect the latter.

As said, he's never been known to be too hot at handling the puck, but he does many other things well a lot of the time. He's not perfect as we've seen through this regular season, but he was great in game 1, had some great moments in this game, and in the end, we absolutely didn't lose this game because of that play. I wouldn't even call it momentum turning. What was momentum turning, if you can even call it that this early, is when we kept taking stupid penalties and getting rattled by Boston's physical game. That is what lost this game for us.

If we can stay composed and stay out of the box and use our speed against Boston to draw penalties, we can beat them. If we lose our cool and give Boston too many power play opportunities, we're toast, and bad or great, Howard's play won't end up being the factor that changes the outcome of the series. Don't get me wrong, he needs to be on his A-Game no doubt to keep us in it, but it won't be enough to overcome Boston if the rest of the guys lose their cool and play into Boston's game.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#727 GrindL1n3

GrindL1n3

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:53 AM

He's been good down the stretch until this game. Is Quick below average then since he's let in 12 goals in 2 games?

If you want to compare statistics... Why is howard a top 30 goaltender in wins for the regular season this year but not even on the board in GAA or save percentage? Answer: the rest of the team picks up his slack

and I'm not saying he's not a good (average) goalie.. I'm saying he's too inconsistent

Edited by GrindL1n3, 21 April 2014 - 12:55 AM.

#728 Hack & Whack Rule!

Hack & Whack Rule!

Goofy Wingnut

• PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:00 AM

Definition of knee-jerk?

Absolutely...it was meant as a mix of sarcasm and frustration.

#729 GrindL1n3

GrindL1n3

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:05 AM

^Definitely.. I got tunnel vision right as he started to let it go. I wish I could've been his conscience for about 1 second and say "look there! another 250 degrees of possible space to play the puck and not turn it over..

#730 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:12 AM

The thing I don't like about him trying to play the puck more in these past two games is that, by his own admission, it's because he saw Mrazek do it and he thought it was great. Which is fine. I'm all for trying to improve your game and become a more complete player. Just save it for later, i.e. after the playoffs. Don't experiment against the frickin' Bruins. He was probably in their heads a bit, and now he's not, largely because of that stupid mistake.

As for him being average, I'd say he's probably above average. Name 12 goalies who would tear s*** up behind our defense.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#731 Hack & Whack Rule!

Hack & Whack Rule!

Goofy Wingnut

• PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:15 AM

Howard's never been very good at handling the puck, so a play like this shouldn't be entirely too surprising, like the guy or not. It's a weakness of his game, and all goalies have weaknesses. It was a terrible play and utterly atrocious timing for such a play, but if you liked the guy before and this is the only reason you're bent out of shape now, you either haven't been paying too close of attention or you'll get over it. I suspect the latter.

As said, he's never been known to be too hot at handling the puck, but he does many other things well a lot of the time. He's not perfect as we've seen through this regular season, but he was great in game 1, had some great moments in this game, and in the end, we absolutely didn't lose this game because of that play. I wouldn't even call it momentum turning. What was momentum turning, if you can even call it that this early, is when we kept taking stupid penalties and getting rattled by Boston's physical game. That is what lost this game for us.

If we can stay composed and stay out of the box and use our speed against Boston to draw penalties, we can beat them. If we lose our cool and give Boston too many power play opportunities, we're toast, and bad or great, Howard's play won't end up being the factor that changes the outcome of the series. Don't get me wrong, he needs to be on his A-Game no doubt to keep us in it, but it won't be enough to overcome Boston if the rest of the guys lose their cool and play into Boston's game.

No, he hasn't been very good at handling the puck. But that play was very surprising. He should know that he's no that fantastic, and should have picked a better spot to put it. Hell, he could have pushed it into the corner for the d-man to pick up. You're right, though, I'll likely get over it.

I think it was a turning point. A play like that can bring down the spirits of the entire team. It was after that, the second goal I believe, where he looked like he was shaken and was too far out from the net, Bruins loser got behind him, and scored.

Mostly, I've liked him. Despite his sketchiness and lack of puck handling abilities, I've thought he was good. In the playoffs, though, I get dickheaded about performances. I just think it's a ridiculous time to bring anything other than your A+ game.

#732 GrindL1n3

GrindL1n3

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:34 AM

Now I want to be Pekka Rinne's conscience "...Go to the Red Wings..." 2016 'if you build it he will come'.. lol or Craig Anderson

#733 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:19 AM

Howard just had a very bad game. If he has another poor showing in game 3 does Babs start Gus for game 4?
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#734 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:20 AM

Howard just had a very bad game. If he has another poor showing in game 3 does Babs start Gus for game 4?

No

#735 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

If Howard keeps it up, I foresee his next career being in broadcasting.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#736 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

That initial fopaux of Jimmy's was ridiculous and a game changer. However the boys never showed up at all. They looked confused and out of sorts it didn't matter if they were defending or breaking out it just looked sloppy. No room for bad games on either side, but at least they did it on the sane day. Jimmy & The Wings will show up on Tuesday! LGW
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#737 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:02 AM

Howard wasn't terrible. The pass was awful, but as far as making good saves, he did pretty good. I'd say he was at fault for two of the goals. We have to score more than once a game.

Makes me excited for Mrazek, though. His puck handling can create offense.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#738 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

We need to score more, but we also need Jimmy to hold them to 2 goals.

He stood on his head for Game 1, and had he not been perfect, we would have lost.

#739 lwing

lwing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

So it's too late to treat an old dog new tricks? There is no way Howard could actually try to improve his puck handling skills? After all he is a highly skilled athlete. Or are you saying his genetic makeup makes it impossible to learn how to handle the puck well enough to make a bantam league moronic mistake in a major NHL playoff game? Obviously I am being sarcastic. In 2001 Datsyuk was easy to push around and made too many moves. Were those his weaknesses he had to accept for the rest of his career? Every single year he has modified and improved his training and skills. He is constantly evolving. Howard isn't close to the level of Datsyuk, but he can take a cue and do real work to improve his weaknesses.

#740 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

I gotta say, I felt quite vindicated after seeing the responses here & in the GDT to that utterly ridiculous "pass", if it can even be called that, by Howie. I just hope that everybody can now see what I've been talking about in terms of his lack of puck-handling skills coming back to bite us.

We almost surely would have lost that game regardless, as Boston thoroughly out-played us. But, when you are an underdog against the Presidents Trophy winners and you're trying to weather the storm early in a game, you absolutely can not have you're goalie making bonehead plays and spotting them their first goal of the series. That goal, and to a lesser extent the second goal, completely changed everything. Demoralizing. Any intimidation that we had from game 1 vanished in an instant. Just can't happen.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: