• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest The Axe

Howard = Average

Rate this topic

On 11/22/2018 at 4:55 PM, Dabura said:

I haven't been saying much about Howard or the goaltending in general, mainly because I kinda don't want to jinx things...but it really needs to be said: Howard and Bernier have both been outstanding for us over the past ten games or so. IMO, goaltending's the biggest reason why the team's had a great November. Is this level of goaltending sustainable? Probably not. But this is a good lesson in how valuable solid goaltending can be.

TOO LATE. YOU JINXED IT.

9 hours ago, chaps80 said:

We all know Bob Essensa was the most underrated goalie the Wings had since The Streak began. 

BEfore my time.

11 hours ago, TheXym said:

Hey now, who could forget Bobblin’ Bob IT’SINTHERE?

hahaha can always count on you for that one.

9 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

TOO LATE. YOU JINXED IT.

BEfore my time.

Man, you missed out!

8 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

To bring back my favorite thread...

Howard is signed for 4 mil

Bernier for 3

Larsson is on ELC

Fulcher is on ELC

Sateri just signed in the KHL

Rybar is UFA and had a whatever worlds showings.

Is Larsson our guy in GR? Or are we gonna still sign some insurance?

Larsson is our guy.  Petruzzelli should be up after next year.  I think the goal is to get those 2 guys in the NHL by 2022.  Howard can man the net for the next 2 seasons.

On 2/6/2013 at 9:25 AM, GMRwings1983 said:

Howard is an average goalie who gets paid like an average goalie. That was OK when we had the best top two defensive pairings in the league, but not anymore.

I don't see us building the best defense in the league front of him anytime soon. At the same time, who will let us have an elite goalie in a trade or through free agency?

Ive always thought this, too.

I´m not a big fan of spending big bucks for a goaltender. I was ok with Howard the last years and will be ok with him the next two years. To me he is real solid and sometimes close to spectacular. There were plenty of games where he kept us in the game and really often was left alone after bad outlet passes. His numbers are, for a defense like we had the last years, absolutly ok and I don´t think a Bobrovsky would have won us like 10 extra games. Howard on top of his game is all you need and to get that for $4M per year is totally fine with me. The "high end" goalies get $10M per year, I prefer a Howard and $6M in cap space for another quality player

8 hours ago, ely s said:

I´m not a big fan of spending big bucks for a goaltender. I was ok with Howard the last years and will be ok with him the next two years. To me he is real solid and sometimes close to spectacular. There were plenty of games where he kept us in the game and really often was left alone after bad outlet passes. His numbers are, for a defense like we had the last years, absolutly ok and I don´t think a Bobrovsky would have won us like 10 extra games. Howard on top of his game is all you need and to get that for $4M per year is totally fine with me. The "high end" goalies get $10M per year, I prefer a Howard and $6M in cap space for another quality player

That's the Osgood plan. It might work. But we also should consider the Roy-Plan. Get a really, really great goalie (even if he is an *******) and ride him to a few cups. Or get something in between. If Lehner is available next offseason I'd consider getting him. Maybe not for $10M, but for $6-8M.

9 minutes ago, derblaueClaus said:

That's the Osgood plan. It might work. But we also should consider the Roy-Plan. Get a really, really great goalie (even if he is an *******) and ride him to a few cups. Or get something in between. If Lehner is available next offseason I'd consider getting him. Maybe not for $10M, but for $6-8M.

I actually spend quite some time thinking about the Roy plan and I don´t like it tbh. Problem one there are not that many Roys out there. Problem two your team might get a bit careless because they think ´he will bail us out´ and problem three, something Montreal can sing a song of, if your Goalie is injured you are basically f+cked. As for the $6-8M range, is there a lot of diffence between Howard and Lehner? With Goalies you can never tell and I think it´s careless to rely too heavily on them. Howard and Bernier as a Goalie duo in Tampa, what sort of numbers would they have there? $6M would be my absolute max for a goaltender, you still need money for a decent backup. When you´ve already spend $10M for your #1 how much is left for #2?

4 hours ago, ely s said:

I actually spend quite some time thinking about the Roy plan and I don´t like it tbh. Problem one there are not that many Roys out there. Problem two your team might get a bit careless because they think ´he will bail us out´ and problem three, something Montreal can sing a song of, if your Goalie is injured you are basically f+cked. As for the $6-8M range, is there a lot of diffence between Howard and Lehner? With Goalies you can never tell and I think it´s careless to rely too heavily on them. Howard and Bernier as a Goalie duo in Tampa, what sort of numbers would they have there? $6M would be my absolute max for a goaltender, you still need money for a decent backup. When you´ve already spend $10M for your #1 how much is left for #2?

There are two goalies (Bob and Price) making $10M, with Vasilevskiy going up to $9.5 in a year. Lundqvist is the only other making over $7M. Seven others make between $6-7M. Lehner would have to win a Vezina before he'd cost anywhere close to $10M. Even Holtby would have to have a strong bounce-back season. 

A good goalie can save you ~15+ goals against per year over an average one (or slightly below average), so it is worth paying a premium. Term is a bigger issue than cap hit, since goalies tend to be so volatile. They're also very hard to come by. I don't know if I'd commit to Lehner, and I don't think Holtby will be available, but I'd at least consider it. I think I'd hope for Jack Campbell to hit the market as a cheaper option that could be on the same level. We are in very good cap position moving forward though, so we should be open to spending some.