• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest The Axe

Howard = Average

Rate this topic

I don´t mind spending, there just has to be a proper return. We have Howard and I wouldn´t mind keeping him for another 2 or 3 years unless there comes an opportunity you have to take. Jimmy proved to me that he is willing to do whatever it takes to be a Red Wing, he changed his game and came back stronger and I don´t think he is done yet. For the around 15 goals a star goalie would potentially save us, we could spend the around $4M extra cap space in a proper upgrade on defense which might save us as many goals or an upgrade on the top 2 foward lines where we probably score 15 more . The effect of the money would be pretty much the same, but as I stated earlier the problems of having an injured or out of form star goalie ar bigger than an upgrade on either defense or offense. We have 2 good goalies and with better defense the discussions around them will stop anyway.

23 hours ago, derblaueClaus said:

That's the Osgood plan. It might work. But we also should consider the Roy-Plan. Get a really, really great goalie (even if he is an *******) and ride him to a few cups. Or get something in between. If Lehner is available next offseason I'd consider getting him. Maybe not for $10M, but for $6-8M.

I'd be hesitant to pay him money like that unless he keeps up that performance outside of Trotz's system. Griess had the same stat line as Lehner this year, and Griess is a career backup. We'll see how he does on Chicago.

8 hours ago, ely s said:

I don´t mind spending, there just has to be a proper return. We have Howard and I wouldn´t mind keeping him for another 2 or 3 years unless there comes an opportunity you have to take. Jimmy proved to me that he is willing to do whatever it takes to be a Red Wing, he changed his game and came back stronger and I don´t think he is done yet. For the around 15 goals a star goalie would potentially save us, we could spend the around $4M extra cap space in a proper upgrade on defense which might save us as many goals or an upgrade on the top 2 foward lines where we probably score 15 more . The effect of the money would be pretty much the same, but as I stated earlier the problems of having an injured or out of form star goalie ar bigger than an upgrade on either defense or offense. We have 2 good goalies and with better defense the discussions around them will stop anyway.

Howard is not a good goalie, even average is debatable at this point, and he'll be 36. He might still be able to put together a good run, but he should not be considered a reliable performer anymore. Time to move on.

Yes, upgrades in other areas could potentially have a similar impact, and we can and should look for those upgrades as well. It's not the dilemma you seem to think it is, mostly because goalies just don't cost as much as you think. (I doubt Lehner will cost much over $6M unless he has another huge season.) We have a lot of cap space, quite probably more than we'll be able to spend. And that's without even trying to get rid of any of our crap. 

The problem is we need at least a decent enough goalie to win a cup. This goalie won't be Howard, he will be way too old then. I don't think Bernier is the answer. Lehner very well could be. If we can get him a a reasonable price we should take him and mark off one of the items on our to do list. That we should look and evaluate his season in Chicago goes without saying of course.

1 hour ago, Buppy said:

Howard is not a good goalie, even average is debatable at this point, and he'll be 36. He might still be able to put together a good run, but he should not be considered a reliable performer anymore. Time to move on.

Yes, upgrades in other areas could potentially have a similar impact, and we can and should look for those upgrades as well. It's not the dilemma you seem to think it is, mostly because goalies just don't cost as much as you think. (I doubt Lehner will cost much over $6M unless he has another huge season.) We have a lot of cap space, quite probably more than we'll be able to spend. And that's without even trying to get rid of any of our crap. 

Well, I don´t see Howard as our goalie of the future, but I don´t think his position is our biggest problem, he is good enough until something turns up. No need to force something, that just puts the price for the next goalie up...

57 minutes ago, ely s said:

Well, I don´t see Howard as our goalie of the future, but I don´t think his position is our biggest problem, he is good enough until something turns up. No need to force something, that just puts the price for the next goalie up...

Agreed. Howard is in placeholder status.

No reason to upgrade the net right now, and I think a tandem of Bernier and Pickard would destroy what little confidence this team has left. Just keep him for now. 

There's an Athletic article out there where GM's and coaches rate the starting goalies of all 31 teams

1. Vasilevski
  2. Price
  3. Bobrovski
  4. Gibson <-------- WTF
  5. Rask
  6. Bishop
  7. Rinne
  8. Fleury
  9. Holtby
  10. Andersen
  11. Murray
  12. Hellebyuck
  13. Binnington
  14. Lundqvist
  15. Dubnyk
  16. Quick
  17. Varlamov
  18. Raanta
  19. Hart
  20. Grubauer
  21. Crawford
  22. Markstrom
  23. Jones
  24. Howard <--------- s***
  25. Rittich
  26. Mrazek <---------- suck it mrazek nerds
  27. Schneider
  28. Anderson
  29. Korpisalo
  30. Hutton
  31. Koskinen

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

There's an Athletic article out there where GM's and coaches rate the starting goalies of all 31 teams

1. Vasilevski
  2. Price
  3. Bobrovski
  4. Gibson <-------- WTF
  5. Rask
  6. Bishop
  7. Rinne
  8. Fleury
  9. Holtby
  10. Andersen
  11. Murray
  12. Hellebyuck
  13. Binnington
  14. Lundqvist
  15. Dubnyk
  16. Quick
  17. Varlamov
  18. Raanta
  19. Hart
  20. Grubauer
  21. Crawford
  22. Markstrom
  23. Jones
  25. Rittich
  27. Schneider
  28. Anderson
  29. Korpisalo
  30. Hutton
  31. Koskinen

24th out of 62 goalies.  But I'm dumb for calling him average.

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

24 out of 31 starters is below average starter. They only rated 1 goalie from each team. How many backups would be ranked higher than him as well?

32 minutes ago, mrhockey2k said:

24 out of 31 starters is below average starter. They only rated 1 goalie from each team. How many backups would be ranked higher than him as well?

Im surprised Mrazek and Lundqvist are where they are in that list.  I'm also surprised Bishop is still thought of that highly.

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

1. Vasilevski
  2. Price
  3. Bobrovski
  4. Gibson <-------- WTF
  5. Rask
  6. Bishop
  7. Rinne
  8. Fleury
  9. Holtby
  10. Andersen
  11. Murray
  12. Hellebyuck
  13. Binnington
  14. Lundqvist
  15. Dubnyk
  16. Quick
  17. Varlamov
  18. Raanta
  19. Hart
  20. Grubauer
  21. Crawford
  22. Markstrom
  23. Jones
  25. Rittich
  27. Schneider
  28. Anderson
  29. Korpisalo
  30. Hutton
  31. Koskinen

I bet Yzerman had him @ 30 

4 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Howard=below average then?

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

1 hour ago, mrhockey2k said:

54 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Im surprised Mrazek and Lundqvist are where they are in that list.  I'm also surprised Bishop is still thought of that highly.

You people wouldn't know decent goal tending if it reached it out and french kissed ur 5hole. Howard is a legend in this league.

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Very dumb for doing so at the start of what was probably his best season. 

It's like a guy unloading in his pants trying to convince the girl he was smart because it was going to happen eventually anyway.

48 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

What are you talking about, Bishop just had his best year and probably should have won the Vezina.

8 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

4. Gibson <-------- WTF

Gibson's a stud. Didn't have the greatest year, but over the last several he's been elite.

11 hours ago, Buppy said:

Very dumb for doing so at the start of what was probably his best season. 

It's like a guy unloading in his pants trying to convince the girl he was smart because it was going to happen eventually anyway.

What are you talking about, Bishop just had his best year and probably should have won the Vezina.

Gibson's a stud. Didn't have the greatest year, but over the last several he's been elite.

In his best season, he was still average.

Uhhhh, not really like that at all.  Keep trying.

Bishop has been on 3 teams in 3 years.  I think he's good, but not great.  Agreed that he was awesome last year.

Gibson really faded when the team faded.  He isnt like a Price or Brodeur where he can win alone.

On 9/25/2019 at 3:21 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

1. Vasilevski
  2. Price
  3. Bobrovski
  4. Gibson <-------- WTF
  5. Rask
  6. Bishop
  7. Rinne
  8. Fleury
  9. Holtby
  10. Andersen
  11. Murray
  12. Hellebyuck
  13. Binnington
  14. Lundqvist
  15. Dubnyk
  16. Quick
  17. Varlamov
  18. Raanta
  19. Hart
  20. Grubauer
  21. Crawford
  22. Markstrom
  23. Jones
  25. Rittich
  27. Schneider
  28. Anderson
  29. Korpisalo
  30. Hutton
  31. Koskinen

Bishop at #6 hahahaha

We should roll with Bernier. Never thought i'd say that.

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I like fat Jimmy. Bernier is totally ripped and still sucks.

I think Jimmy would be a fine goalie on a good team...  For example Leafs fans (and media) blabber on about Andersson, to my eye he's a younger version of Jimmy (if not worse).  He lets in horrendous goals and terrible times.

9 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Bobrovsky $10 million x 7 years

3.87 GAA and 0.882 Sv% right now

tenor.gif

He's signed for (likely) the rest of his career and makes $54k daily living in Florida. He might get the dreaded long term big money disease. He didn't catch it with his last contract cause he still needed to earn another one. Now he's set...chill time.

8 hours ago, chaps80 said:

He's signed for (likely) the rest of his career and makes $54k daily living in Florida. He might get the dreaded long term big money disease. He didn't catch it with his last contract cause he still needed to earn another one. Now he's set...chill time.

54K a day

That's a lot of cocaine and hookers