• Please log in to reply
781 replies to this topic

#141 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Howard was painfully average today. Did you see those average saves he made? 

All 45 of them. 

#142 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

The expectations here are just ridiculous

bringit.jpg

#143 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Ya the team that was easily eliminated in the 1st round and then lost the 2nd best defender of all time while making no major splashes in the FA market is better than pretty much the exact same lineup that won the Stanley Cup. The Kings then outshoot Detroit 47-31 on the road. Are you really and idiot or do you just purposely say idiotic things.

That exact same lineup that won a Cup led by Quick's Conn Smythe performance is 2nd last in the conference right now and finished last year behind the Wings.

Stanley Cup winners aren't always the ones with the best lineup there are a lot of other factors like luck, injuries, confidence, momentum, officiating...

Edited by Johnz96, 10 February 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#144 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

Joey Mac stopped all 42 shots he faced against us a few yrs ago. Musta been super elite

See the difference is, aside from last year JMac never had a good year playing goalie. Howard has had 3 good years, and the circumstances under which he backstopped the isles and made 42 saves was completely different. You're not factoring in fatique from playing 20 hours before, a shortened season in which you play on average every other day, and jimmy has started all but 1 game. He just came off a 9 month break and didn't have his timing back yet for his first 5 or 6 starts... so many variables, but your right, comparing MacDonald (who was jimmys backup) and Jimmy is such a good idea

#145 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

See the difference is, aside from last year JMac never had a good year playing goalie. Howard has had 3 good years, and the circumstances under which he backstopped the isles and made 42 saves was completely different. You're not factoring in fatique from playing 20 hours before, a shortened season in which you play on average every other day, and jimmy has started all but 1 game. He just came off a 9 month break and didn't have his timing back yet for his first 5 or 6 starts... so many variables, but your right, comparing MacDonald (who was jimmys backup) and Jimmy is such a good idea

I'm not comparing the 2, there is no comparison, just remarking about the comments stating he must be elite because he stopped 45 of 47 shots today.

I think Howard is one of the better goalies in the league.

#146 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

Ya the team that was easily eliminated in the 1st round and then lost the 2nd  best defender of all time while making no major splashes in the FA market, except the addition of Damien Brunner and Jordin Tootoo,  is better than pretty much the exact same lineup that won the Stanley Cup and finished with a worse regular season record than the wings last year before getting hot at the right time, like all Cup champs. The Kings then outshoot Detroit 47-31 on the road, but shots on goal don't equate to wins, where as goals, which the wings had more of today, do equate to wins. Am I really and idiot or do I just purposely say idiotic things.  

Fixed for you.  

#147 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Fixed for you.  

Take the red tinted glasses off. No defenseman in history did what Bobby Orr did. Hes easily #1. #2 aint bad for Lidstrom. And you consider Damian Brunner and Tootoo as "big splashes" hmmm. Theyve been good signings but far from big splashes. So winning a Cup has nothing to do with how good a squad is its all about getting hot. Right. Guess that 02 Wings team just got hot.

The Kings were the better team today and save for the 1st period it wasn't even close. They just ran into a hot goalie. Something which we Wings fans know something about. Its 6-2 atleast without Howard.

Edited by GoalieManPat, 10 February 2013 - 09:35 PM.

#148 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Take the red tinted glasses off. No defenseman in history did what Bobby Orr did. Hes easily #1. #2 aint bad for Lidstrom. And you consider Damian Brunner and Tootoo as "big splashes" hmmm. Theyve been good signings but far from big splashes. So winning a Cup has nothing to do with how good a squad is its all about getting hot. Right. Guess that 02 Wings team just got hot.

The Kings were the better team today and save for the 1st period it wasn't even close. They just ran into a hot goalie. Something which we Wings fans know something about. Its 6-2 atleast without Howard.

I'm sorry, and I haven't read the most of this thread since I last posted, but to compare the 02 team to anything to this generation and salary cap is absolutely historical. The 02 team didn't just get hot, they were dominate, they were it. Nowdays with cap space you aren't going to have an all-star lineup as 02 wings once did, it's impossible unless you have superstars willing to pull hometown discounts. Please don't compare those two together, because it's seriously an absolutely joke within generations.  

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#149 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

I agree with you about Orr. So far Brunner has been a big splash on a 40 goal pace over an 80 game season and is still learning the NA game.

6-2 atleast without Howard? What if it was Joey Mac playing as hot as he did on the night he shut out the Wings with 42 saves?

#150 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

I agree with you about Orr. So far Brunner has been a big splash on a 40 goal pace over an 80 game season and is still learning the NA game.

6-2 atleast without Howard? What if it was Joey Mac playing as hot as he did on the night he shut out the Wings with 42 saves?

yes, what if joey mac played and played as well as that one game he played.... the difference is, howie is solid night in and night out. yeah, he has a bad game here and there but there have been a lot of nights where jimmy was the reason we were in the game. 

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#151 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

How is this thread still in existence? The same people who bow at the alter of Osgood are calling Jimmy average. Talk about a catch-22.

Had we jimmy Howard on those 90s wings teams, I feel like Scotty would have had to start putting rings on his toes.
[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

Just playin Chris, you know I love you!

lilja is an icelandic pony
lilja is an average high girl with blond hair and very sexy
lilja is about the sweetest kitten we have raised here
lilja is the comatose victim of a questionable accident

#152 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

I like Jimmy.  

#153 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

How is this thread still in existence? The same people who bow at the alter of Osgood are calling Jimmy average. Talk about a catch-22.

Had we jimmy Howard on those 90s wings teams, I feel like Scotty would have had to start putting rings on his toes.

Ozzie>Howard, Ozzie>Manny(by a long shot)

I think Mraz is going to prove he is better then all of them

#154 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

I agree 100%

#155 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

Seriously? Ozzie is better than howie? this was a joke right? very few times in Osgoods career did he put up numbers as good as howie has in his first three years, and you can't argue that he had a MUCH better team in front of him, the fact that you would even consider ozzie to be better than howie is laughable. I loved ozzie, but c'mon he was shaky at best most nights, how many times did he need to be bailed out?

#156 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

Seriously? Ozzie is better than howie? this was a joke right? very few times in Osgoods career did he put up numbers as good as howie has in his first three years, and you can't argue that he had a MUCH better team in front of him, the fact that you would even consider ozzie to be better than howie is laughable. I loved ozzie, but c'mon he was shaky at best most nights, how many times did he need to be bailed out?

What are you talking about. Osgood's career average is 2.49, Howard's is 2.43 but Osgood played in an era when goalie equipment wasn't so big and there were almost 2 goals a game more scored in games then there are now. Osgood's career playofff average is 2.09 and Howard's is 2.63. Osgood also played for weaker teams like NYI and St. Louis and Howard hasn't. Osgood helped us win 2 Cups and helped us to another SCF. There are only 2 goalies  with more wins than Osgood. And he came up big in the playoffs his playoff stats are as good or better than Brodeur, Roy and Hasek's all HoFs or future HoFers who played when Osgood did.

Howard's pretty good but he hasn't accomplished nearly as much as Osgood

#157 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:53 AM

Osgood was good in the playoffs you are right there, but did ozzie ever have a .920 or .924 save percentage in a full season? did he ever finish a season with 2.13gaa after coming back from an injury and not playing as well, because howie did all of those in the past three years, and he was on pace to finish last season well under 2 goals against before being injured. Teams like NYI then were pretty much on par with the mid level teams of todays nhl 

#158 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

I know I shouldn't be surprised that yet another thread was turned into one about Osgood, but the topic is about Howard being average.  

Let's stick to that. 

#159 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

Osgood was good in the playoffs you are right there, but did ozzie ever have a .920 or .924 save percentage in a full season? did he ever finish a season with 2.13gaa after coming back from an injury and not playing as well, because howie did all of those in the past three years, and he was on pace to finish last season well under 2 goals against before being injured. Teams like NYI then were pretty much on par with the mid level teams of todays nhl 

Ozzie mostly played in an era when goalie equipment was heavier, less flexible and most of all a lot smaller and there was much more scoring in the NHL because of it.

Howard never played on a mid level team

#160 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

Ozzie mostly played in an era when goalie equipment was heavier, less flexible and most of all a lot smaller and there was much more scoring in the NHL because of it.

Howard never played on a mid level team

If you didn't see it, we were kindly asked to revert back to discussing Howard, not Osgood. So let's chalk this up to, you have your opinion and I have mine.