• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
number9

Tomas Tatar Is Jiri Hudler 2.0

Rate this topic

I haven't seen too much of Tatar outside of his time with the Wings (and a couple GR games), but I think the only similarities between the two are they are both small forwards, and both have a shoot first mentality. Other than that, I think Tatar is an upside in just about every other facet of the game.

I thought Brunner was the new and improved Hudler. Can we just agree that Hudler wasn't spectacular and leave it at that? Haha, poor guy.

He is doing good in Calgary so far... but ya he wasn't a good fit for us. Brunner, is already eons better than Huds. He has speed, tenacity, and a bit of grit here and there. He doesn't give up on plays, and does everything he can to try to put that puck in the net. I haven't seen someone on the wings who liked scoring that much in a long time. His face just lights up even if its a crappy tip in, he loves to score. He works his butt off every shift, and in my mind has been one of the best players on the wings this year right behind Z. The only quality he has similar with Hudler is the size, but Hudler would never dare drive to the net the way Brunner does. Brunner takes the puck and makes his way right into the low slot like it was no big deal. Hudler just cherry picked and waited for pucks to hit his stick on open net chances.

Tatar is better with the puck too. Hudler has a tendancy to throw it away and turn it over a lot. Tatar looks for his linemates and then hustles to an open spot to get the puck back for a scoring chance. He was one of the bright spots in an otherwise terrible game against the Flames. Keep him up, dump Cleary and bring up Nyquist to complement him as a playmaker and once Helm is healthy, there's your 3rd scoring line. As for the 4th line, Babcock can play whoever "dictates" their playing time, which will likely be a rotation of Eaves, Tootoo, Abs and Miller. And Sammy when he's not broken. You don't need to re-tool the offense when it's already at your finger tips.

i didnt think tatar did much of anything last night

I agree. But nobody else did anything either. The thing I liked about Tatar is he was fast and physical. He threw the body and was able to forecheck. That is somebody we need on the third line.

Tatar didn't score, nor did he singlehandedly earn the Wings scoring opportunities, but that's not his role (just yet).

What Tatar did do well was demonstrate an excellent hockey sense in predicting where the puck was going, and getting himself to that spot, where he ended up with the puck on his stick. There was an excellent example of this in the third, when our defenseman (can't remember who) pinced down to the half boards to dump the puck back in deep. Instead of hanging out at the faceoff dot for a pass or dropping behind the net to pick up the dump in, Tatar went to the blue line, and sure enough, the puck was immediately turned over and shot up the boards directly to him, where he was able to keep the attack alive.

He was also tenacious on the puck. Tatar seemed to chase the puck down wherever it went in the offensive zone, instead of waiting around for a teammate to do all the work. Also, despite his small frame, he was mucking it up in the corners and along the boards and did not seem the least bit phased. To be honest (and I'll likely get flamed for this), he reminded me of Darren Helm, at least with how passionately and intent he was playing. He doesn't have the crash that Helm has, but at least last night he had Helm's heart.

I agree. But nobody else did anything either. The thing I liked about Tatar is he was fast and physical. He threw the body and was able to forecheck. That is somebody we need on the third line.

I think you just contradicted yourself if you agree that he didn't do much last night.

Considering he was playing with a couple of guys who will generate no offense, I think Tatar looked pretty good last night. Skated hard/fast, backchecked, forechecked. Showed some very simple glimpses of being able to create if he is given a little bit of space and time.

But again, you could only see so much with who he was playing with....

I think you just contradicted yourself if you agree that he didn't do much last night.

Considering he was playing with a couple of guys who will generate no offense, I think Tatar looked pretty good last night. Skated hard/fast, backchecked, forechecked. Showed some very simple glimpses of being able to create if he is given a little bit of space and time.

But again, you could only see so much with who he was playing with....

No, I didn't. I guess I meant he didn't do anything to produce points. But I thought he brought an element to the game that this team needs right now.

i didnt think tatar did much of anything last night

Nothing spectacular maybe, but if you watched him closely you could see he played well in all 3 zones.

He kept it simple most of the time, but also had a couple of instances where he showed some of his skill.

All things considered he had a solid game and if he gets stay up he'll no doubt be able to build on it. He looks NHL ready to me, surprisingly maybe even moreso than Nyquist.

Tatar worked hard out there, drew a penalty, cycled decently. IMO he is a huge upgrade on Hudler because he has puck winning skills rather than needing more hard working players to give him the puck. Kid needs more than 1 game to show he is more than huds.

This is what I took away from last night as well. Well worded.

Guest The Axe

Look out HOF, here comes tatar! right........ Just for reference, tatar's best season in GR was 58 points. Emmerton......52. Nothing to see here, please move along......

Emdog is a regular. Dont knock him.

Emdog is a regular. Dont knock him.

The idea that tatar, nyquist, andersson, abby, helm, emmerton, janorack (spelling) etc... are going to lead us to the SC is laughable. Worst part, the joke is on us......

Guest The Axe

The idea that tatar, nyquist, andersson, abby, helm, emmerton, janorack (spelling) etc... are going to lead us to the SC is laughable. Worst part, the joke is on us......

You're right. We have NOTHING in our farm system at Forward. Its horrible. Im glad we got big, good skating, good puck moving defensemen that are young, but our all umpa lumpa forward team that cant score is super depressing.

I'm not saying I necessarily think those guys are going to lead us to a cup, but there was a time when people said Datsyuk and Zetterberg were never going to lead the Wings to a cup either.

But you gotta be real also, Andersson, Abby, Helm and Emmerton are bottom 6 guys. Helm and Abby especially are good at it, but you don't really say Draper and Maltby lead us to cups do you? But they are important pieces, and I think Helm will be a key part of the team for a long time. Assuming he can get past his injury troubles of late.

Tatar and Nyquist are maybe not the 2nd coming of D and Z, but they both have potential as top 6 scorers. Maybe not the guys you build your team around but still good players.

And you are counting out Järnkrok way too early. He has a big role on his team in the SEL and is doing alright. He is very skilled and is probably the closest thing we have to a possible 'replacement' for D or Z in our own system.

He is 9th in scoring this year, and that is on a bit of a struggling team and without last year's top scorer Silfverberg on his line. If you compare his stats to those of Zetterberg's before he came over they're very close. Whether that will translate to the same kind of NHL success is anyone's guess.

Edited by dat's sick

Look out HOF, here comes tatar! right........ Just for reference, tatar's best season in GR was 58 points. Emmerton......52. Nothing to see here, please move along......

Really?

Looks like we are ranked 3rd in terms of Prospect depth in the NHL but I am surprised they didnt ask for your scouting report since it seems so accurate

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1372