Photo
- - - - -

Tomas Tatar Is Jiri Hudler 2.0

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#121 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,610 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

http://thehockeywrit...ew-jiri-hudler/

Hopefully with his defensive side he'll be better than Hudler one day

What an insult to Tatar! :P

Seriuosly though, I would like to see him get 25-30 goals someday.  He has been solid, but he isn't showing me much offense yet.  I guess it has to do with playing on the 3rd line, but I hope he shows some more than what he has already. I would hope that he would take Franzine's place on Z's line and get a chance like Brunner has been given.  I am ready for the kids to take over... (although deep in side I still believe if there is a trade, Tatar will be a part of it...)

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#122 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

So this Tatar kid. Looked good tonight. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#123 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

I would just like to point out that in TSN's current AHL player rankings, Tatar is #3 & Nyquist is #4.  Carry on...

http://www.tsn.ca/fa...ature/?ID=11702

#124 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

I never said Raedeke brought size or skill. I said he brought speed and strength.

"He’s not scared to go into the corners. He doesn’t run guys over but he has strength on the puck and we like the game he plays.” - Jim Nill

"We think he has a little bit of Darren Helm in him. He’s a good skater with good speed" - Jim Nill

I said Sheahan brought Size, Strength, & Skill. Since you seem to agree on the size and strength, I'll educate you on his skill.

“We think he could be a point-producer for us, for sure. He’s got a great feel of when to go into holes in the offensive zone below the tops of the circles. He finds places to go and get the puck. He has the ability to really beat guys down low." - Mark Leach

"He can score and set up plays and he’s pretty solid all-around offensively.” - Mark Leach

"He does remind me of Johan Franzen. He’s got a big, thick body. He’s been a big scorer. That’s what we project him to be.” - Jim Nill

"He has very good offensive ability" - Jeff Blashill

I said Andersson brought size and strength. So yeah no sh** sherlock... he's a checker. And of course he has to improve to be equal to Abdelkader, he's a prospect.......

Aubry's not as skilled as Datsyuk, or as fast as Helm, but he's also not a skill-less slow bruiser. 

"Good solid two-way player, good skater, very smart, smart on the puck, and he can dish the puck pretty well" - Mark Leach

“He doesn’t have any glaring weaknesses." - Mark Leach

I said nothing about Nestrasil's demotion. He's only 21 and still has plenty of time to improve and find his game. What I did say is that he brings size, strength, and skill.

“He’s willing to pay the price every shift and he’s ready to battle every shift. He’s a big body, he throws his body around, he never refuses physical contact and he’s always engaged … He’s not a guy you look at and say, ‘He’s going to be a third- or fourth-line guy in the NHL.’ He’s got more skill than that. If he keeps improving his skating, he could be a good offensive player in the NHL.” - Yanick Jean

Parkes is a checker? Yeah, no sh**, that's why I said he brings size and strength. And again, he's a PROSPECT, of course he needs to improve to the level of somebody like Abdelkader. If he didn't need to improve and develop more he wouldn't be a prospect lol.

I'm not even going to address your comments about Nyquist. That's just beyond uninformed and ignorant.

can you name me one prospect our front office types didn't glow about? That is their job. It is also how they drive up percived trade value. we had all the same things about Kutznetsov, kopescky, Rittola, Lenio, Mursack, Emmerton, etc etc etc....... Nyquist and tatar are 40 point per year guys, just like the title of this thread. Who for his career has just over 400 games played in the NHL and has just over 200 points. Averages 1 point every 2 games. Again, not one of those guys-the forwards is close in any way to be able to replace Z, datsyuk or Filppula. Nor are any of those forwards potential 60 point power forward types.

As for those playing in the pro leagues in europe, so what. That isn't NA hockey and it is a very different game. The list of euro's that have failed in NA is very very long.

Now, I fully understand that there will be a positive surprise or 2. Always is. But at best 1 out of 10 prospects ever pan out, so even the guys we all think will make it, most will not. You see this in every sport. 1st round flops happen all of the time. late round surprises as well.

#125 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

can you name me one prospect our front office types didn't glow about? That is their job. It is also how they drive up percived trade value. we had all the same things about Kutznetsov, kopescky, Rittola, Lenio, Mursack, Emmerton, etc etc etc....... Nyquist and tatar are 40 point per year guys, just like the title of this thread. Who for his career has just over 400 games played in the NHL and has just over 200 points. Averages 1 point every 2 games. Again, not one of those guys-the forwards is close in any way to be able to replace Z, datsyuk or Filppula. Nor are any of those forwards potential 60 point power forward types.

As for those playing in the pro leagues in europe, so what. That isn't NA hockey and it is a very different game. The list of euro's that have failed in NA is very very long.

Now, I fully understand that there will be a positive surprise or 2. Always is. But at best 1 out of 10 prospects ever pan out, so even the guys we all think will make it, most will not. You see this in every sport. 1st round flops happen all of the time. late round surprises as well.

Glowing reviews on Ritola:

"Tagged as a “lazy” player in his draft year,..."

“Is he one of those guys who shows up at 24 years of age and figures life out and decides he’s going to work hard every night? Or is he just another skilled guy who doesn’t learn to compete and disappears in the wind and plays in Europe the rest of his life?” — Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill (2007) … “Laziness is not a factor at all. You know what? If I hadn’t heard that before he got here, I wouldn’t have known that about him. In the time he’s been with us, he’s worked hard. His upside is probably a third-line guy but he can play the fourth line. He’s probably going to play in the NHL.” — Griffins GM Bob McNamara (2008)

Seriously though, I get what you're saying. Still not sure why you're saying it, except from a desire to be negative.

I think you're underselling Hudler quite a bit. (He has 9 points in 8 games for Calgary, in case anyone's interested.) He's only played 5 years and had 50 points twice. Calling him a 40 point player is like saying Datsyuk was just a 70 point player in 2007. Flip's career PPG is virtually identical to Hudler's. Is Flip a 40 point guy too? So why's he lumped in with Pav and Hank?

Maybe you just mean what Nyquist or Tatar might produce in the near future, in which case I'd agree. I'd expect it'd take a few full seasons before either would start to hit their potential. But long-term, everything from their performance thus far to comments from scouts and coaches suggests they should be similar to Filppula and Hudler. Maybe not the raw skill of Hudler, but both are noted for hard work, good skating, and fine defensive play. Probably closer to Flip all things considered. 55-65 points seems a very reasonable expectation of their peak.

I guess if you want to consider "Hudler 2.0" a bad thing I probably couldn't talk you out of it. But it's not.

#126 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Tatar is a better skater than Huds in every way. Opinion of course.

#127 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,610 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

This thread needs to be either renamed or deleted because it is an insult to Tatar to be called Hudler....I have dirty socks that are better than Hudler.

www.thinkdunes.com

#128 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

You forgot Grigorinko.

#129 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

Congratulations on presenting a new and totally different argument. You said we didn't have a good balance of size, speed, strength, and skill in our prospect pool, I showed the contrary. I don't see how Tatar and Nyquist being in your opinion only 40 point scorers in anyway applies to what I said.

And PS ur statement about how we talk up our prospects applies to every franchise. So it balances out. By your standards Granlund blows.... Minnesota *cough* *cough*

#130 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:13 AM

Hudler makes 4 mil per

#131 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:21 AM

You forgot Grigorinko.

The fact that he later got into a car accident that very nearly crippled him really makes a hash of your argument. Also, learn to spell Grigorenko... 

#132 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

This dude has some wicked hands up close.

#133 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

This dude has some wicked hands up close.

That was the 2nd time he's got a goal like that.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#134 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

If Tatar is Hudler 2.0, does that make Andersson into Kopecky 1.2? ;)

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#135 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Correct me if Im wrong but 2.0 is the updated better, faster more effecient version from the original....right?

#136 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Tatar is a better skater than Huds in every way. Opinion of course.

LOL

Edited by unsaddleddonald, 24 February 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#137 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,610 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Correct me if Im wrong but 2.0 is the updated better, faster more effecient version from the original....right?

Yes, but putting him in a sentence with Hudler takes away from what Tatar actually is!

Let's just say Tomas Tatar is the real deal. Maybe he can become the Sniper we need! With Brunner and Tatar showing how quick they can score, our rebuils may not be too far away...also allows Holland to focus on Defense this off season, which is our glaring need!

Tatar is not a 2.0 of anyone, unless his father is named Tomas as well!

Tatar is himself, and a GD good hockey player!

He should be playing with Datsyuk.

Edited by LeftWinger, 24 February 2013 - 01:05 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#138 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

Tatar keeps this up, he will also be getting a Hudler 2.0 raise.

#139 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Yes, but putting him in a sentence with Hudler takes away from what Tatar actually is!

Let's just say Tomas Tatar is the real deal. Maybe he can become the Sniper we need! With Brunner and Tatar showing how quick they can score, our rebuils may not be too far away...also allows Holland to focus on Defense this off season, which is our glaring need!

Tatar is not a 2.0 of anyone, unless his father is named Tomas as well!

Tatar is himself, and a GD good hockey player!

He should be playing with Datsyuk.

Tatar and Nyquist are better than or as good as all our forwards other than Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Filppula, they should be getting more ice-time than all the ones they are better than.

#140 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

Tatar and Nyquist are better than or as good as all our forwards other than Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Filppula, they should be getting more ice-time than all the ones they are better than.

Lets not go all raging hard on style on these guys. Tatar is emerging and Nyquist is soon to emerge. Thats kind enough for now.