19 replies to this topic

#1 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

*Mod Edit*
This thread was split from the Petr Mrazek Mask Thread.  As I noted in that thread, we need to be a little sensitive with discussion in this thread, as for many people their disagreement with this show can be based on political or religious viewpoints.  While you are certainly welcome to hold those viewpoints, it's best to avoid that type of discussion here on LGW.  If you'd like to take up that discussion with another member, you're more than welcome to do so via the PM system.

For clarification, you are welcome to say you like it or don't like it because of political reasons.  But leave it at that, rather than going into specific details.

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

LOL.  The only people I know that don't like Family Guy, don't like it because they don't understand the satire.

Yeah that must be it. Or maybe it's because we understand satire but realize their brand of humor doesn't take much talent.

Edited by Jedi, 06 February 2013 - 03:27 PM.
Explanation for thread spliut, rule clarification

#2 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Yeah that must be it. Or maybe it's because we understand satire but realize their brand of humor doesn't take much talent.

I was talking about people I literally know, whether that applies to you was up for interpretation.  You must be killing it with your brand of humor!

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#3 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Nope.

#4 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

LOL.  The only people I know that don't like Family Guy, don't like it because they don't understand the satire.

I understand satire just fine, what I find annoying about Family Guy is that they drag out the jokes way beyond the point where they stop being funny.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#5 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

I was talking about people I literally know, whether that applies to you was up for interpretation.  You must be killing it with your brand of humor!

Right, this is a very poor attempt at being a smart ass. ^ If you didn't intend for your post to have implications towards people outside the realm of those you 'literally know'... then you wouldn't have made it at all, and especially not with a "LOL" before your statement. Get real...

Edited by RedWingsDad, 06 February 2013 - 03:29 PM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#6 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

I understand satire just fine, what I find annoying about Family Guy is that they drag out the jokes way beyond the point where they stop being funny.

I didn't say 'satire', I said 'the satire'.  Meaning, specifically, 'the satire' of Family Guy.  On more than one occasion I've found myself oblivious to the joke at hand, because I didn't get the reference.  Other times I can clearly tell they are poking at something, I just don't know what it is.  Part of why Family Guy is so funny is that they do drag those things out....intentionally.  Everything they do on that show is 100% intentional.

#7 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

Right, this is a very poor attempt at being a smart ass. ^ If you didn't intend for your post to have implications towards people outside the realm of those you 'literally know'... then you wouldn't have made it at all, and especially not with a "LOL" before your statement. Get real...

Oops.  Got me there.  I made a blanket statement, not my fault you ran under the blanket.  I did say it was open for interpretation, so there is that.  Maybe I put LOL because I was, you know, laughing out loud.  Gosh, you guys are so damn sensitive.

#8 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Oops.  Got me there.  I made a blanket statement, not my fault you ran under the blanket.  I did say it was open for interpretation, so there is that.  Maybe I put LOL because I was, you know, laughing out loud.  Gosh, you guys are so damn sensitive.

:crybaby: it's not my fault I'm just an emotional wreck, and anything I don't find funny I immediately must make sure everyone knows how terrible it is and why I think so, because I can't leave it alone if I don't like it

#9 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for clarifying. Did you think there was some confusion on my part about what "LOL" means in general? Are you disagreeing with me? Outside of displaying your witty arsenal of blanket metaphor’s, what's the actual point your trying to make?

#10 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for clarifying. Did you think there was some confusion on my part about what "LOL" means in general? Are you disagreeing with me? Outside of displaying your witty arsenal of blanket metaphor’s, what's the actual point your trying to make?

LOL!

I don't think there is anything to disagree about....I said most people I know that don't like FG, do so because they don't get the satire.  That was my point from the get go.  You can agree or disagree with me about why the people I know don't like FG, but that's really not worth debating, is it?

At least we can both agree that I am witty!  I also hope you realize 99% of the things I say are in jest.  That's how I make it through the day. :)

#11 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

:crybaby: it's not my fault I'm just an emotional wreck, and anything I don't find funny I immediately must make sure everyone knows how terrible it is and why I think so, because I can't leave it alone if I don't like it

OK, this is fun... I like this game.  :clap:  I'm going to call it the "Ignoring the actual substance of a discussion, and attempting to broadly dismiss someones views by stereotyping them is fun!"... game (working title). My turn for you:

"I am generally butt hurt towards authority, and don't want anybody voicing objections to things that I like! If they do, I’m going to ridicule them in a weirdly indirect way (conflict scares me) Being irreverent is so cool! Also, I desperately seek approval from my peers, and only have views agreed upon by the general herd."

How did I do? 

Did you have some commentary you wanted to make about Family Guy? To re-cap, I don't like the show because I am a Christian and the show frequently attacks my faith. This is very serious to me, a sacred thing. Disagree? Agree? I would very much like to hear your opinion on this topic.

#12 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

LOL!

I don't think there is anything to disagree about....I said most people I know that don't like FG, do so because they don't get the satire.  That was my point from the get go.  You can agree or disagree with me about why the people I know don't like FG, but that's really not worth debating, is it?

At least we can both agree that I am witty!  I also hope you realize 99% of the things I say are in jest.  That's how I make it through the day. :)

I relent, and call for peace! Though, I bet I could give you a run for your money on blanket metaphors. Just sayin. ;)

Edited by RedWingsDad, 06 February 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#13 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

Peace it is!

#14 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

I didn't say 'satire', I said 'the satire'.  Meaning, specifically, 'the satire' of Family Guy.  On more than one occasion I've found myself oblivious to the joke at hand, because I didn't get the reference.  Other times I can clearly tell they are poking at something, I just don't know what it is.  Part of why Family Guy is so funny is that they do drag those things out....intentionally.  Everything they do on that show is 100% intentional.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, in the case of Family Guy the very thing that you find to be amusing about the show is what in my opinion takes away from the humor.  What I initially objected to was what I perceived to be an attempt to tell me what my opinion should be, that's all.

There, now I feel better, moving on...

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#15 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

OK, this is fun... I like this game.  :clap:  I'm going to call it the "Ignoring the actual substance of a discussion, and attempting to broadly dismiss someones views by stereotyping them is fun!"... game (working title). My turn for you:

"I am generally butt hurt towards authority, and don't want anybody voicing objections to things that I like! If they do, I’m going to ridicule them in a weirdly indirect way (conflict scares me) Being irreverent is so cool! Also, I desperately seek approval from my peers, and only have views agreed upon by the general herd."

How did I do? 

Did you have some commentary you wanted to make about Family Guy? To re-cap, I don't like the show because I am a Christian and the show frequently attacks my faith. This is very serious to me, a sacred thing. Disagree? Agree? I would very much like to hear your opinion on this topic.

lol I love the sarcasm! I wasn't reffering directly to you, just this entire thread in general, I happen to enjoy family guy, as well as many other shows. I don't like when people blatently mock other people's likes or dislikes, you were one of the many people who actually had a reasonable argument as to why you dislike family guy. I was referring to other people who did not, but yet were trying to make it seem as though if you didn't like the show/or if you did (depending on the person) than you don't understand humor or whatever... 

Sorry if you took that as a personal jab at you, that was not my intent. I respect your beliefs and I don't want to turn this into a political vs. religious debate. 

p.s. I am not all that concerned about anyones opinion of me on an online forum :)

#16 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

lol I love the sarcasm! I wasn't reffering directly to you, just this entire thread in general, I happen to enjoy family guy, as well as many other shows. I don't like when people blatently mock other people's likes or dislikes, you were one of the many people who actually had a reasonable argument as to why you dislike family guy. I was referring to other people who did not, but yet were trying to make it seem as though if you didn't like the show/or if you did (depending on the person) than you don't understand humor or whatever... 

Sorry if you took that as a personal jab at you, that was not my intent. I respect your beliefs and I don't want to turn this into a political vs. religious debate. 

p.s. I am not all that concerned about anyones opinion of me on an online forum :)

Thanks for clarifying. Since you quoted rrascos response to me, I think I reasonably assumed you were directing that specifically at me.

"I don't like when people blatently mock other people's likes or dislikes"

I am not trying to have a 'gotcha' moment here, but it seems contradictory that you would feel that way, yet watch Family Guy... considering that, to my understanding, a sizable portion of the humour comes from blatantly mocking people, their beliefs, and likes or dislikes.

#17 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

I wanna hug both of you seeing how the disagreement turned peaceful with such class and dignity. You guys set an example for the rest of us :D

Family Guy tends to rerun the same episodes in a one week cycle for some reason, it feels like when I watch it on live TV at some random time it's one of ten episodes i've seen 20 times already. I do prefer South Park but Family Guy has it's moments. I like the Star Wars ones.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#18 fixxxer

fixxxer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

I love family guy it suites my type of humor. There are time where I don't catch the references to certain obscure famous people but I like the randomness of it and the fact they make fun of everything and anyone (similar to south park in the respect).

#19 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for clarifying. Since you quoted rrascos response to me, I think I reasonably assumed you were directing that specifically at me.

"I don't like when people blatently mock other people's likes or dislikes"

I am not trying to have a 'gotcha' moment here, but it seems contradictory that you would feel that way, yet watch Family Guy... considering that, to my understanding, a sizable portion of the humour comes from blatantly mocking people, their beliefs, and likes or dislikes.

Ya the show mocks just about everything there is to mock, but that would be like saying it's ok to shoot someone because you like violent movies, just because you like it doesn't mean you have to advocate it. I understand the difference between real life and tv, I am a good person, who likes watching shows like family guy lol, but I don't go out acting like peter griffin.

#20 fixxxer

fixxxer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

I am a good person, who likes watching shows like family guy lol, but I don't go out acting like peter griffin.

Exactly its entertainment and nothing else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users