• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
number9

Mrazek To Start Tonight

Rate this topic

Either way, if he plays out of his mind our totally bombs, he'll be just fine.

If we lose, thought, I'll be blaming everyone else but him and it will be well deserved.

Unless he lets a couple of center line floaters, then I'll blame him. ;)

Haha, exactly. This is our concern, Dude. I didn't expect McCollum to look Vezina-like either last year, but there are levels of bad that elevate one's concern beyond the "meh, he's just not ready" level.

Hope he does that #34 proud like Legace and Maracle before him. Only better.

Edited by StormJH1

What's strange to me is that they start him here on the road with SAT/SUN back to back afternoon games coming up, which are both at home. Presumably, he'll get the Kings SUN now on the nationally televised NBC game?!

I know Howard's tired, but I'm wondering if the EDM game on SAT won't have been a better place to debut him. Heck, half of Edmonton is Mrazek's age anyway.

Maybe they thought that the 14,000-ish at the Joe would jump on him out of frustration with the team, if things went badly?

Edited by StormJH1

IIRC, Babcock tends to put backup goalies in for road games, because he believes there's less pressure on them to do well. Haven't a clue where I saw/heard that though, so take it for what it's worth.

In other lineup related news, Kindl is in, Huskins is out.

Babcock has never seemed to be the best at using goalies. If Howard is too tired to start tonight, he shouldn't have played against the Flames. Then again, maybe he felt good, Babcock went him him, and now he's fatigued. Either way it's a questionable decision by Babcock who has not had the best history with goaltenders.

Why not start a offensively focused depth defenseman against a stingy turn over forcing team with a rookie starting his first game. I'm confused.

Edited by Carman

Not worried in the least ;)

This sucks. Excited to see him, but against St. Louis? Made much more sense to play him last game. With no axe to grind, traditionally lazy play and Mrazek in net, this could be a long night...

This is all I'm worried about.

IIRC, Babcock tends to put backup goalies in for road games, because he believes there's less pressure on them to do well. Haven't a clue where I saw/heard that though, so take it for what it's worth.

I have no problem with that rationale...except if adhering to that plan meant debuting Mrazek against a division opponent (St. Louis), instead of against Calgary, the worst team in the league at the time. Agree with the poster above that if Howard was already tired, the time to rest him was the Calgary game, not against St. Louis. Especially given that Howard just beat St. Louis in one of our better efforts of the year.

Oh well, hopefully Mrazek plays well and makes all of this a moot point. Go Wings.

Holy scheise what a game to start! Godspeed, M-Raz, Godspeed. Hopefully the rest of the team is conscious of the need to be more defensively responsible and don't leave the kid with his d!ck swinging in the wind.

Should I start drinking now?

I have no problem with that rationale...except if adhering to that plan meant debuting Mrazek against a division opponent (St. Louis), instead of against Calgary, the worst team in the league at the time. Agree with the poster above that if Howard was already tired, the time to rest him was the Calgary game, not against St. Louis. Especially given that Howard just beat St. Louis in one of our better efforts of the year.

Oh well, hopefully Mrazek plays well and makes all of this a moot point. Go Wings.

Saw it posted (I think on page 1) that Mrazek wasn't started vs. Calgary because Babs wanted him to get a few practices in with the Wings' system before getting the start. Petr was called up on February 4th, and the Calgary game was the 5th. At best, that's 2 practices (possibly only 1, since he might have missed the Feb 4th practice due to preparation and travel from the callup).

Saw it posted (I think on page 1) that Mrazek wasn't started vs. Calgary because Babs wanted him to get a few practices in with the Wings' system before getting the start. Petr was called up on February 4th, and the Calgary game was the 5th. At best, that's 2 practices (possibly only 1, since he might have missed the Feb 4th practice due to preparation and travel from the callup).

IIRC, Ansar Khan said that on Mlive when he got called up.

Babcock has never seemed to be the best at using goalies. If Howard is too tired to start tonight, he shouldn't have played against the Flames. Then again, maybe he felt good, Babcock went him him, and now he's fatigued. Either way it's a questionable decision by Babcock who has not had the best history with goaltenders.

Why not start a offensively focused depth defenseman against a stingy turn over forcing team with a rookie starting his first game. I'm confused.

On a side note can you tell me who has the best plus minus of any of our D playing tonight? Yep..thats right..everyone's favorite whipping boy Kyle Quincey at +3 lol

What's strange to me is that they start him here on the road with SAT/SUN back to back afternoon games coming up, which are both at home. Presumably, he'll get the Kings SUN now on the nationally televised NBC game?!

I know Howard's tired, but I'm wondering if the EDM game on SAT won't have been a better place to debut him. Heck, half of Edmonton is Mrazek's age anyway.

Maybe they thought that the 14,000-ish at the Joe would jump on him out of frustration with the team, if things went badly?

Unfortunately, MacDonald is already due to be cleared and ready by the weekend, which would shove Mrazek back down in the minors. This may be his only real chance to give Jimmy a break before MacDonald is back.

Unfortunately, MacDonald is already due to be cleared and ready by the weekend, which would shove Mrazek back down in the minors. This may be his only real chance to give Jimmy a break before MacDonald is back.

Joey Mac will end up doing a conditioning stint in GR before he sees any time with the big club.

Remember the last time Joey played and McCullom came in? I still have nightmares from that game. :scared:

That was horrible for McCollum, but that wasn't the last time Joey played for the Wings.

That was horrible for McCollum, but that wasn't the last time Joey played for the Wings.

I just rewatched the videos from that game from the guy who posted the link above. A little unfair to McCollum given that the team had basically quit and it was out of control, but his goals were terrible. One was basically a soft dump-in where he pissed a rebound out with this stick, a la Tretiak in the Miracle on Ice game at the end of the period. That's about thing Tom McCollum will ever have in common with Vladislav Tretiak.

Good call above from the posters regarding Khan's column and MacDonald being ready by the weekend. Who knows, this could end up being the only game Mrazek plays all year.

Joey Mac will end up doing a conditioning stint in GR before he sees any time with the big club.

Unfortunately, it doesn't exactly seem that way currently;

from: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/02/red_wings_give_jimmy_howard_a.html

Asked if he would be hesitant to use MacDonald this weekend, Babcock said, “No, if he's cleared, I wouldn't be (hesitant) at all. Howie can't play every night.''

Wednesday was the first time MacDonald had a net to himself in practice.

“There’s no pain sliding side-to-side like I had before, so I think it’s just getting back with the timing and stuff.'' MacDonald said. "Just waiting to get in there, and the way it is, Howie’s been riding it for a while and in a short season it's tough to do, so he needs a break.”

Asked about a possible conditioning stint with the Grand Rapids Griffins, MacDonald said, “It was mentioned, but it as mentioned for playing today in Grand Rapids. So that's not going to happen, so who knows now? I know they’re on the road to Oklahoma (this weekend) and I won’t be going there. But we (the Red Wings) have a lot of games coming up, so somebody has to be ready to jump in there.”