Mrazek To Start Tonight

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Babcock has never seemed to be the best at using goalies. If Howard is too tired to start tonight, he shouldn't have played against the Flames. Then again, maybe he felt good, Babcock went him him, and now he's fatigued. Either way it's a questionable decision by Babcock who has not had the best history with goaltenders.

Why not start a offensively focused depth defenseman against a stingy turn over forcing team with a rookie starting his first game. I'm confused.

On a side note can you tell me who has the best plus minus of any of our D playing tonight? Yep..thats right..everyone's favorite whipping boy Kyle Quincey at +3 lol

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#42 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

What's strange to me is that they start him here on the road with SAT/SUN back to back afternoon games coming up, which are both at home.  Presumably, he'll get the Kings SUN now on the nationally televised NBC game?!

I know Howard's tired, but I'm wondering if the EDM game on SAT won't have been a better place to debut him.  Heck, half of Edmonton is Mrazek's age anyway.

Maybe they thought that the 14,000-ish at the Joe would jump on him out of frustration with the team, if things went badly?

Unfortunately, MacDonald is already due to be cleared and ready by the weekend, which would shove Mrazek back down in the minors. This may be his only real chance to give Jimmy a break before MacDonald is back.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#43 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Unfortunately, MacDonald is already due to be cleared and ready by the weekend, which would shove Mrazek back down in the minors. This may be his only real chance to give Jimmy a break before MacDonald is back.

Joey Mac will end up doing a conditioning stint in GR before he sees any time with the big club.

#44 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

Remember the last time Joey played and McCullom came in? I still have nightmares from that game. :scared:

#45 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Remember the last time Joey played and McCullom came in? I still have nightmares from that game. :scared:

That was horrible for McCollum, but that wasn't the last time Joey played for the Wings.

#46 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 795 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Good luck young fella! Hope he plays well and adds to a Wings WIN

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#47 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

That was horrible for McCollum, but that wasn't the last time Joey played for the Wings.

I just rewatched the videos from that game from the guy who posted the link above.  A little unfair to McCollum given that the team had basically quit and it was out of control, but his goals were terrible.  One was basically a soft dump-in where he pissed a rebound out with this stick, a la Tretiak in the Miracle on Ice game at the end of the period.  That's about thing Tom McCollum will ever have in common with Vladislav Tretiak.

Good call above from the posters regarding Khan's column and MacDonald being ready by the weekend.  Who knows, this could end up being the only game Mrazek plays all year.

#48 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Joey Mac will end up doing a conditioning stint in GR before he sees any time with the big club.

Unfortunately, it doesn't exactly seem that way currently;

Asked if he would be hesitant to use MacDonald this weekend, Babcock said, “No, if he's cleared, I wouldn't be (hesitant) at all. Howie can't play every night.''

Wednesday was the first time MacDonald had a net to himself in practice.

“There’s no pain sliding side-to-side like I had before, so I think it’s just getting back with the timing and stuff.'' MacDonald said. "Just waiting to get in there, and the way it is, Howie’s been riding it for a while and in a short season it's tough to do, so he needs a break.”  

Asked about a possible conditioning stint with the Grand Rapids Griffins, MacDonald said, “It was mentioned, but it as mentioned for playing today in Grand Rapids. So that's not going to happen, so who knows now? I know they’re on the road to Oklahoma (this weekend) and I won’t be going there. But we (the Red Wings) have a lot of games coming up, so somebody has to be ready to jump in there.”

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

#49 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Starting MacDonald just seems so............boring. :ninja: 

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#50 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

I know that.  It's just the game that sticks in my mind for Joey.  That was terrible what Babcock did to McCollum.

#51 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Wishing the kid luck tonight gonna miss the game.

#52 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing what this kid can do.

#53 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

I know that.  It's just the game that sticks in my mind for Joey.  That was terrible what Babcock did to McCollum.

I wouldn't really put all the blame on Babcock. The team was playing like garbage, and McDonald wasn't having a good game. Most coaches switch out a goalie if they are having a bad game. McCollum let in three really bad goals though, on only 8 shots...

Edited by DSM, 07 February 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#54 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

atleast one thing is for sure; the kid can celly hard

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

#55 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

That's awesome.  I love the emotion.  And I think it's apparent we could obviously use a little heart on this team right now.   

#56 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

I remember watching!  Good on him.  There is usually so much more pride when winning for your country and kids around your own age.  I don't think you'll see that kind of celebration when he's up in the NHL. 

#57 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

this could be ugly

My wish: A healthy roster

#58 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

I remember watching!  Good on him.  There is usually so much more pride when winning for your country and kids around your own age.  I don't think you'll see that kind of celebration when he's up in the NHL. 

Absolutely, but he still is young so we may see some antics out of him, I remember watching the World Juniors and everyone was getting on his case because of his "crease" dancing. What else do you want him to do? Everyone else on the team is over there hugging and telling each other good job while the tendy just chills in his zone celebrating by himself. Like you said, at least he shows emotion and heart

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

#59 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Def not gonna get my hopes too high and expect the kid to be the second coming of Dominik Hasek. But it is nice to see us give Jimmy a break finally.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#60 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Put Flip or Z on D tonight for the entire game... Would help decrease turnovers and help build Petr's confidence.

Wonder if the announcers with get his name right

Edited by Rivalred, 07 February 2013 - 03:44 PM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1