• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
haroldsnepsts

Franzen spear on Perron

Rate this topic

Mostly i just started to drag the GDT off topic with my complaining about Mule's spear, so I figured I should start a thread.

Seeing a replay, yes it was a hit from behind but he clearly survived. But Mule once again with the cheapshot.

To me spearing is one of the dirtier plays in hockey. If someone on the blues had done this to the Wings, would it still be not that big of a deal?

I'm guessing with the 5 minute PP and getting tossed for the game, he won't get a suspension, but given the NHL's track record who knows.

I wouldn't mind a one-game suspension. It was childish and dangerous and its hard for me to be condescending to fans of other teams if Wings are going to do this sort of thing :/

Seriously?

It's a penalty, which was called. That's all I think of it. You guys are overreacting.

I don't think he will or should get suspended. It wasn't premeditated, it was a split second reaction after receiving a cheap hit from perron. The right call was made, and he was tossed. I would be okay if he was fined if the nhl feels the need to send a message.

Seriously?

It's a penalty, which was called. That's all I think of it. You guys are overreacting.

This was given a 5-game suspension and totaled $125,000 in fines back in the playoffs of 2007 (prior to suspension crackdowns). Both plays were malicious attacks against the opponent using the hockey stick as a weapon, although McLennan gave more of a slash than a spear. Personally, I think these two cases are fairy similar, but everyone else is free to make their own judgment. Nonetheless, if the league thinks the above penalty is worth 5 games, in the playoffs no less, than I don't think its reaching to see Franzen get one game, or maybe even a fine. Granted, there have been a few notable spears in recent memory which didn't result in suspensions, so if he gets nothing I wouldn't be surprised at all. I'm not about to try to predict the outcome of this situation.

I still stand by my belief that this type of behavior is a joke and should be punished. If Franzen wants retribution for a hit he doesn't agree with, then he needs to do it like a man and use his fists, face to face with his opponent. Otherwise get on with the game because frankly its embarrassing and a waste of time.

This was given a 5-game suspension and totaled $125,000 in fines back in the playoffs of 2007 (prior to suspension crackdowns). Both plays were malicious attacks against the opponent using the hockey stick as a weapon, although McLennan gave more of a slash than a spear. Personally, I think these two cases are fairy similar, but everyone else is free to make their own judgment. Nonetheless, if the league thinks the above penalty is worth 5 games, in the playoffs no less, than I don't think its reaching to see Franzen get one game, or maybe even a fine. Granted, there have been a few notable spears in recent memory which didn't result in suspensions, so if he gets nothing I wouldn't be surprised at all. I'm not about to try to predict the outcome of this situation.

I still stand by my belief that this type of behavior is a joke and should be punished. If Franzen wants retribution for a hit he doesn't agree with, then he needs to do it like a man and use his fists, face to face with his opponent. Otherwise get on with the game because frankly its embarrassing and a waste of time.

I disagree on them being similar, however I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fine and 1-game suspension either. I was perfectly fine with Franzen's actions, but I expect him to get reprimanded for it. If this was reversed this entire board would be fuming and calling for his head. On the bright side, at least Franzen showed some emotion. :rolleyes:

You can actually see Perron looking up to see if the refs are looking while he lays on the ice acting. It ain't like he followed Franzen to the boards and finished a check, he saw Franzen already against the boards and went right at him for the cheap hit trying to stir it up. He got what he got what he deserved. Typical cheap Blues play.

esteef

Edited by esteef

I honesty don't know how you can compare the McLennan slash to this. I agree it's stupid and shouldn't be done, but that was a premeditated attack on Franzen. McLennan was on the ice for like forty-five seconds and he was hacking from the get-go. Franzen overreacted and speared Perron after he was checked from behind. In no way can you compare.

Franzen should have turned around and clocked him though...

My only complaint is that Franzen didn't drop his gloves and start pounding away while Perron was laying on the ice. But he's too soft for that.

Yea because thats what the real tough guys of the league do. Beating a guy up while he is laying on the ground is the manly thing to do...ask all the tough guys in the league i'm sure they would agree with you :glare:

Yea because thats what the real tough guys of the league do. Beating a guy up while he is laying on the ground is the manly thing to do...ask all the tough guys in the league i'm sure they would agree with you :glare:

But Franzen is not a tough guy, so it'd be OK if he did it.

Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Filpulla,

These guys get abused every game - Datsyuk got smashed from behind tonight by Backes a lot harder than Mule got hit.

None of these guys would ever pull that stick-work s***.

I don't think it actually hurt Perron but it makes Franzen look like a pusssss

Would Perron have hit #44 from behind? Not a f***in chance. He knew exactly what he was doing and who he was doing it to. Maybe he'll think twice next time. Good job Mule.

esteef

Next time Reaves is just gonna come in and knock Franzen into next week. I noticed franzen got hammered by Oshie tonight and did absolutely nothing to get back at him (scoring, scrapping, hitting or otherwise), its freakin oshie... hes afraid of oshie and he will go pick on perron.

2 completely different situations. Mclennan's was so obviously premeditated that the nhl had no choice but to come down hard on him. I believe that Jim playfair(Calgary head coach at the time) was also disciplined by the nhl.

Franzen's situation was a quick second reaction to dirty hit from behind. the 5 minute major and game misconduct (which was the right call) should be the only discipline he gets. I suppose a fine will be in order as well.

LOL @ the commentators. "CSI St. Louis might find some remnants on that stick" Seriously? He gave him a quick jab and they compare it to a murder case. Makes perfect sense. Perron is acting, obviously. It was a slight jab and the match penalty was more than sufficient for what happened.