• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Wings' Johan Franzen will face no disciplinary action for spearing Blues' David Perron last night, as NHL said no hearing scheduled.

Which is rightfully so. Perron boarded mule...mule speared perron...mule was kicked out of the game. And thats that.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 08 February 2013 - 11:33 AM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#42 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Wings' Johan Franzen will face no disciplinary action for spearing Blues' David Perron last night, as NHL said no hearing scheduled.

Which is rightfully so. Perron boarded mule...mule speared perron...mule was kicked out of the game. And thats that.

Agreed.  

As much as I didn't like the spear, the major and getting ejected seemed enough.  Unless it caught him right in the nards, Perron seemed to be playing it up. 

Still a crap move by Franzen, and not his first spearing incident.  

#43 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

I am all for Muehl acting like a jerk, we have been a model organization for years so a few blemishes from Mule will certainly not tarnish that image and it just possibly may light a fire under him and the team. We need nasty sandpaper s*** and some dirty cheap slop at times.

#44 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

I love hockey, and I also love manliness and toughness in relation to hockey. If the manliness and toughness in hockey are not manly and tough enough for you, perhaps you should advocate for Roman style gladiatorial events where combatants exhibit their manliness and toughness by fighting to the death. Although, you would say gladiators were neither tough nor manly because, after all, they were there to entertain and clearly the attributes of toughness and manliness cannot be displayed through entertainment.

In spite of that fact that it is entertainment, I will continue to refer to hockey as a tough and manly sport... I find that the hits, fights, scraps, and yes, occasion spear, illustrate toughness and manliness. I am now going to wrap up this post in order to go do some tough and manly things not related to hockey... because toughness and manliness are totally awesome, and deserve to be celebrated.

I understand your opinion. I guess we just have different meanings for those words. To me they don't have much to do with muscles, knuckles and emotional reactions but quite the opposite. To me hitting back when you're hit is not manly, it's childish. Not giving to the pressure from fans, and "hockey tradition" and choosing not to hurt another person is what I would consider tough. This applies to hockey players and cladiators alike. 

This doesn't mean that I don't enjoy watching the occasional violence, blood and pain in hockey. 

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#45 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Agreed.  

As much as I didn't like the spear, the major and getting ejected seemed enough.  Unless it caught him right in the nards, Perron seemed to be playing it up. 

Sorry, couldn't resist.  In all seriousness, I agree with just about everything everyone has said in here, the hit by Perron was dirty, Franzen's decision to spear him in retaliation was stupid and was punished sufficiently.  

Edited by McAwesome, 08 February 2013 - 02:15 PM.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#46 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

I love hockey, and I also love manliness and toughness in relation to hockey. If the manliness and toughness in hockey are not manly and tough enough for you, perhaps you should advocate for Roman style gladiatorial events where combatants exhibit their manliness and toughness by fighting to the death. Although, you would say gladiators were neither tough nor manly because, after all, they were there to entertain and clearly the attributes of toughness and manliness cannot be displayed through entertainment.

In spite of that fact that it is entertainment, I will continue to refer to hockey as a tough and manly sport... I find that the hits, fights, scraps, and yes, occasion spear, illustrate toughness and manliness. I am now going to wrap up this post in order to go do some tough and manly things not related to hockey... because toughness and manliness are totally awesome, and deserve to be celebrated.

What Franzen does is douchey and pussified, not tough or manly in any way.  So when Franzen went down and stayed down for 5 minutes after he was "slashed", that was tough and manly? 

#47 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

What Franzen does is douchey and pussified, not tough or manly in any way.  So when Franzen went down and stayed down for 5 minutes after he was "slashed", that was tough and manly? 

Context, it's important. This was the comment being addressed:

I can't take it seriously when words like "toughness" and "manliness" are mentioned when talking about hockey.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#48 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Agreed.  

This exactly, silly move..eye for an eye..thats the end of it..no one is hurt..move on.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#49 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Well I guess we all know who's going to get a starring role in Coaches Corner on Saturday...

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#50 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

#51 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Well I guess we all know who's going to get a starring role in Coaches Corner on Saturday...

Will it be manliness or toughness?

Old time hockey, like Eddie Shore... Before the Wings play the Blues next Wednesday, Franzen should put on the foil cause we all know Backes is gonna hit him from behind and you can guarantee stick work from Perron. There is a personal bounty on Franzen's head. Free large loaded potato bites for the guy who really gives it to Franzen. None of this small curly fries hat trick business.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#52 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Mostly i just started to drag the GDT off topic with my complaining about Mule's spear, so I figured I should start a thread.  

Seeing a replay, yes it was a hit from behind but he clearly survived.  But Mule once again with the cheapshot. 

To me spearing is one of the dirtier plays in hockey.  If someone on the blues had done this to the Wings, would it still be not that big of a deal?

I'm guessing with the 5 minute PP and getting tossed for the game, he won't get a suspension, but given the NHL's track record who knows.

The spear was unnecessary, but so were the hit by Perron and the ensuing theatrics.

That said, the fact that you intensely dislike everything about Franzen isn't news.

#53 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Franzen needs to be a man and go after him and drop the gloves. None of this childish spearing crap. But then again what do you expect from one of the softest "power forwards" to play. The guy is the king of the after whistle scrum. 

I never understood why in hockey some ways to hurt people are considered OK and honorable, but other ways are gutless and childish. If your leg or jaw is broken, what difference does it make wether that was the result of kneeing, boarding, a slush, a spear, or a punch?

#54 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

The spear was unnecessary, but so were the hit by Perron and the ensuing theatrics.

That said, the fact that you intensely dislike everything about Franzen isn't news.

First, the spear was not only unnecessary but a cheapshot well beyond the hit from behind, which was basically a stupid hockey play. If Franzen had a problem with it he could've very easily gotten in Perron's face. Instead his first reaction was to spear him, which is a gutless cheapshot.

Second, I don't dislike everything about Franzen.

Third, and for the thousandth time, keep your comments about the content of the post and not the person. If you want to discuss the spear, great. But snidely telling someone what they think isn't doing that. Bait me again and people will soon be wondering why you haven't posted here in such a long time.

#55 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

I never understood why in hockey some ways to hurt people are considered OK and honorable, but other ways are gutless and childish. If your leg or jaw is broken, what difference does it make wether that was the result of kneeing, boarding, a slush, a spear, or a punch?

I think the difference stems from in a fight you're squaring up on a level playing field to defend yourself and hurt your opponent.  You're also risking your own well being to do so.  Spearing someone in the gut doesn't risk directly risk your well being.  So it can be perceived as a cowardly move. 

#56 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

I think the difference stems from in a fight you're squaring up on a level playing field to defend yourself and hurt your opponent.  You're also risking your own well being to do so.  Spearing someone in the gut doesn't risk directly risk your well being.  So it can be perceived as a cowardly move. 

And checking someone from behind while they battle for a puck is not cowardly? Explain how that would be risking his own well being please.

#57 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

What about boarding a guy who is clearly defenseless?  Franzen didn't have a chance to defend himself, why should Perron?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#58 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

franzenspearhunter.png

I think this  might be photoshopped  :g:

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#59 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

And checking someone from behind while they battle for a puck is not cowardly? Explain how that would be risking his own well being please.

I'm referring to after the defenseless boarding, and why it's ok to fight someone but it's not ok to spear/slash/sucker punch them. 

I think this  might be photoshopped  :g:

Photoshop?  Please.  Real pros use MS Paint. 

• Nev likes this

#60 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

I'm referring to after the defenseless boarding, and why it's ok to fight someone but it's not ok to spear/slash/sucker punch them. 

Photoshop?  Please.  Real pros use MS Paint. 

And I am referring to the pre-spear, and why it's ok to check someone, but not from behind when they are defenseless. I agree spearing isn't something to be happy about, bon't don't try and say Perron didn't deserve after all the cheap shots he gave all night, he didn't deserve the honour of squaring up man to man