• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,832 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Franzen could quite possibly be the worst fighter in the NHL, but if he went buckets and gloves off with Backes I'd lose my s***. Franzen has punked Backes a few times, hitting him or punching him and Backes lays on the ice looking for a call, it'd be pretty good to see em go.

As far as the spear, it was pretty funny. Gutty and everything, but it's Franzen guys, the gloved punch king. As long as he isn't the one diving it's a win for Detroit.

#NOMOREKINDL

#62 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

And I am referring to the pre-spear, and why it's ok to check someone, but not from behind when they are defenseless. I agree spearing isn't something to be happy about, bon't don't try and say Perron didn't deserve after all the cheap shots he gave all night, he didn't deserve the honour of squaring up man to man

No no I'm not saying he didn't' deserve.  I was just commenting on why its believed that fighting is ok but spearing isn't.  I don't really have an opinnion on it otherwise. 

#63 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Wasn't Chelios known for pretty much exactly this type of stick work?

And back when Cheli was a Blackhawk - he had this "tuff guy - bad ass" reputation amongst it's fan base...Yeah - he beat up on guys like Fedorov, Propp, and Robitaille...But when he squared off against a guy like Gallant - he got his ass kicked.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#64 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

I don't see anything wrong here... clean looking spear to me. 

#65 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

I really hope that Mule's reaction was born from his frustration with his own play this season and that the hit was just the catalyst that set him off.  Maybe it will kick him in gear.  History says no, but I can hope.

Edited by Marty Barry, 08 February 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#66 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

NHL doesn't suspend Franzén but instead chooses his hit from the previous Blues game as the number one hit of the week.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#67 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

I really hope that Mule's reaction was born from his frustration with his own play this season and that the hit was just the catalyst that set him off.  Maybe it will kick him in gear.  History says no, but I can hope.

Why would he be frustrated? He's played fine this year...

#68 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

To be honest, I'm not even sure what people are talking about in regards to Mule. I actually feel like he's been pretty solid. I could just be completely off here, but I feel like he's looking quicker than ever. He's nearly playing at a point-per-game pace, and isn't dogging it as much as I've seen in the past. We can all call the man a pansy all we want, but I think he's actually put up a good effort thus far.

#69 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

I think the difference stems from in a fight you're squaring up on a level playing field to defend yourself and hurt your opponent.  You're also risking your own well being to do so.  Spearing someone in the gut doesn't risk directly risk your well being.  So it can be perceived as a cowardly move. 

Do you remember when Larionov slashed Lindros and broke(fractured) his leg in retaliation for some rough stuff?

To me, that was a smart move, 5'10''  170 Igor squaring up against Lindros wouldn't have been a fair, level field fight, it would have been suicidal stupidity. Yet you can't let goonery pass without response, either.

If I'm in a bar fight, and there's a convenient stool to hand, I'm gonna use it and not worry about fighting fair. Fair fights are for suckers.

#70 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Do you remember when Larionov slashed Lindros and broke(fractured) his leg in retaliation for some rough stuff?

To me, that was a smart move, 5'10''  170 Igor squaring up against Lindros wouldn't have been a fair, level field fight, it would have been suicidal stupidity. Yet you can't let goonery pass without response, either.

If I'm in a bar fight, and there's a convenient stool to hand, I'm gonna use it and not worry about fighting fair. Fair fights are for suckers.

The difference is that Franzen is much bigger than Perron.  But even so, I would've much rather he gave Perron a good two handed slash.  

It still wouldn't be a great reaction by Mule, but spearing is on another level. 

#71 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

The difference is that Franzen is much bigger than Perron.  But even so, I would've much rather he gave Perron a good two handed slash.  

It still wouldn't be a great reaction by Mule, but spearing is on another level. 

What is the difference between a spear and a slash? Both are wacking someone with a stick. In fencing, a thrust is usually preferred to a cut. They always say "a point beats the edge". :)

#72 brandon27

brandon27

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Honestly, I dont have a problem with what Franzen did.   That hit from behind by Perron is what doesn't belong in the game today.  Its a blatant cheap shot hit from behind.  It deserves retaliation.  I guess where I have a problem with it, Franzen chose to spear him, probably just an instant reaction, but its just as dirty of a play...  he should have just dropped the gloves and started swinging at Perron, regardless of whether Perron was willing to fight or not.  Teach him a lesson... dont retaliate with an equally, or worse dirty play.   Perron deserved some sort of payback though.

Posted Image

#73 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Franzen should have "taken a number" and got him back at another time. Instead he chose to spear him in the nuts which is a gutless play. If Backass would have done this to Z comments would be a lot different on here. 

#74 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

Franzen should have "taken a number" and got him back at another time. Instead he chose to spear him in the nuts which is a gutless play. If Backass would have done this to Z comments would be a lot different on here. 

Z would never have purposely boarded Backes like that and he certainly wouldn't have layed on the ice like a little b****.  Nice try though.

esteef

Edited by esteef, 09 February 2013 - 11:25 AM.

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#75 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

And this is why I have no problem with a little goonery or cheaps*** by the Wings. The reason so many events like this happen is the Wings are looked at as soft and noone worries about being held accountable for slamming Z's head into the boards....so teams and players will continue to take liberties on Dats ans Z cuz.... They can! The Wings need to put on the foil.

#76 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

Z would never have purposely boarded Backes like that and he certainly wouldn't have layed on the ice like a little b****.  Nice try though.

esteef

I will give you that. Z does have far more class then both Backes and Mule. The point being made was if it had been any of the Wing's players being speared comments would be much different. Lets face it the hit from behind was not that bad either. Both Franzen and Parron looked like idiots.

#77 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

What is the difference between a spear and a slash? Both are wacking someone with a stick. In fencing, a thrust is usually preferred to a cut. They always say "a point beats the edge". :)

Honestly I realize it may not make much sense, but a spear is much dirtier of a play to me.  Probably because it's more likely to result in injury.  Slashes can definitely do serious damage too, but a lot of times you're catching the guy on the pads.  

The league seems to view it that way as well, because even the intent to spear can be called for a penalty.  

#78 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Honestly I realize it may not make much sense, but a spear is much dirtier of a play to me.  Probably because it's more likely to result in injury.  Slashes can definitely do serious damage too, but a lot of times you're catching the guy on the pads.  

The league seems to view it that way as well, because even the intent to spear can be called for a penalty.  

Some players are allowed to slash at will with impunity. Even breaking both wrists of the opponents best player.

#79 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#80 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

That pic is hysterical, ive never seen that one!!