• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

The Code

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

Don't know if you guys caught the PHX/CHI game tonight, but Torres answered the bell and cleared his crappy decision from last year (when he hit Hossa late). Made me think back to the Moore incident. Sad to think a guy in the NHL doesn't know that he needs to take a few punches to atone for his actions and instead ends up with a ruined career. How do you all feel about hockey's unwritten rules?

Most of the time I think "The Code" is a bunch of hogwash.

It only applies in situations where players and teams actually apply it... and as soon as someone breaks it,

"The Code" doesn't exist.

The Moore/Bertuzzi is an extreme example of this, but for something a little more typical:

During the Tampa/Philly game the other night: Rinaldo kept punching after Crombeen goes down.

Which opens the door for Lecalavier to add a couple extra shots after Talbot is on the ice.

Who breaks "The Code?" Rinaldo? Lecalavier? Both?

I'm not for abolishing fighting in the NHL, but I think "The Code" is a joke.

As far as Torres goes: He says all the right things in the post-game, which is fine and dandy.

I think he was suspended an appropriate amount of games (Hell, I think he was out more games that Hossa, no?)

Do I think he learned his lesson? Is he a changed man ala Matt Cooke?

Probably not.

Edited by e_prime

Don't know if you guys caught the PHX/CHI game tonight, but Torres answered the bell and cleared his crappy decision from last year (when he hit Hossa late). Made me think back to the Moore incident. Sad to think a guy in the NHL doesn't know that he needs to take a few punches to atone for his actions and instead ends up with a ruined career. How do you all feel about hockey's unwritten rules?

Moore did answer the bell. He fought Cooke in the first period of that game.

Vancouver apparently didn't think it was enough.

If people want to discuss the code, what they think it means, if it's still relevant, then have at it but we don't really need to rehash the Bertuzzi incident, which has been debated here countless times. It happened 9 years ago. I don't think anyone's opinion will be changed now.

The Code works like any other system of beliefs/ethics/rules/code of honour. It only works ideally when everyone follows willingly.

That said, if you're in the NHL, you should know it and expect to either live it or live with the consequences.

There is a code, but it often gets broken, even by tough guys.

Fact is, if I was coaching Chicago, I would instruct every fighter on my team to try and engage Torres as often as possible during the game. Same thing next game. Don't know if I'd instruct anyone to "paralyze" him, but I'd by no means lay off him just because he fought last night.

Make it a recurring thing for Torres to fight. He's a sack of garbage who has hardly learned his lesson based on how many times he's been suspended. I hate Hossa, but that's what I think about this type of incident.

Fact is, if I was coaching Chicago, I would instruct every fighter on my team to try and engage Torres as often as possible during the game. Same thing next game. Don't know if I'd instruct anyone to "paralyze" him, but I'd by no means lay off him just because he fought last night.

Make it a recurring thing for Torres to fight. He's a sack of garbage who has hardly learned his lesson based on how many times he's been suspended. I hate Hossa, but that's what I think about this type of incident.

It'd never happen, but it would be fun to watch.

One fight with a 38 yr old Jamal Mayers hardly offsets a career of headhunting. Torres is one of the guys I think the league would be better off without.

CODEBREAKER!!!

Code or no code... Instincts will always lead you to want to get off first. Yo head dont want to get punched so your mind will lead you to try and strike first and get upper hand...DNA > code. Hockey players are human not ******* cyborgs!

By referencing "the code" I assumed you are referring to this book that Im currently reading. Although Im sure most of you just already know it as the unwritten rules of the game... which indeed do exist in every sport.

Here's the book...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Code-Unwritten-Fighting-Retaliation/dp/1572437561/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360373461&sr=8-1&keywords=the+code+hockey

I recommend reading it. Im about halfway through it. I've already read the code book on football, and once I finish the hockey one, its on to baseball.

But there's an interesting chapter in the book on the Bertuzzi/Moore incident regarding the code.

The code to me definitely exists... when its.. "invoked" depends on the game situation alot. There's some really interesting stuff in the book, I recommend the read to everyone here. Including the football one. You'll read some very interesting stuff about the game.

Guest The Axe

Im just saying that a hockey player that hits should be prepared to fight when necessary. Even Datsyuk.

Guest The Axe

I just watched that again. Pavel Datsyuk is fricking cool. Perry is a cool guy for not going overboard with Dats. I think Perry started off with the idea of kickings Pavs ass for holding Getz back while Homer took his lame little pot shots. Then he realized that Dats wasnt doing that and was impressed that Dats gave him a go and was strong. Then he was like "what's the point of this? Dats is a fricking man.". Then he just tumbled over and ended it. I think he realized it was a lose lose no matter if he lost the fight or pummeled Dats. He wasnt gonna be looked at well or feel good either way, so he decided just to take it easy and make it a draw with no one getting any long term damage. I like Perry.