Photo
- - - - -

General thoughts: this team, its future, the league...

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

^This.

Ouellet and Sproul are both legit blueliners who've played like lottery picks over the last two seasons.  I'm really excited for the team in GR next year.

^another correct answer :)  Backman's built like a horse, too, so once he fills out he'll be that much more valuable.

Ericsson-Smith
Lashoff-Kindl
Ouelette-Sproul

#22 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

What? Obviously the return on investement on Colo, Sammy and Gustavsson is still up for debate because they have been injured.  Tootoo has done everything they would've wanted out of him so far..he's been physical, dropped the gloves and changed the flow of games when we needed it.  Bert is what he is, 3rd line guy..10-15 goals a year..good contract..good team guy.  Quincey would be tolerable if we didnt give up a 1st for him..that one hurts.  Huskins was an emergency guy playing for peanuts and doing everything they asked of him. Get over the Parise and Suter thing..you don't get it..they were never playing here..we offered them huge money and they wanted to play in Minny.

I agree wholeheartedly.  I don't mind these 'the team going forward' threads.... even if some people are seriously delusional about the quality of Detroit's prospects one way or the other.  What I am absolutely sick of is the fact that people can't drop the Parise/Suter thing.  It's not like they didn't get significant offers from Detroit.  I believe that the best effort was made to get them.  Everything doesn't always go your way, though.  EVEN IF something could have been done differently and Parise and Suter would be here (which I don't believe), it DOES NOT MATTER.  They aren't here.  It is over.  And, all the complaining in the world about it will not make the Red Wings a better or worse team going forward.  It is done - move on.

#23 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Where are these guys that you speak of? Suter ? We put a huge offer out for him..he was never coming here..he wanted to play in Minny..end of conversation on that one.  Check out that link with the top defensive scorers on it.  There isn't one guy in the top 30 that is head and shoulders above the rest.  Alot of really good guys there but spending 10 mil a year on any of those guys is crazy. 

What? Obviously the return on investement on Colo, Sammy and Gustavsson is still up for debate because they have been injured.  Tootoo has done everything they would've wanted out of him so far..he's been physical, dropped the gloves and changed the flow of games when we needed it.  Bert is what he is, 3rd line guy..10-15 goals a year..good contract..good team guy.  Quincey would be tolerable if we didnt give up a 1st for him..that one hurts.  Huskins was an emergency guy playing for peanuts and doing everything they asked of him. Get over the Parise and Suter thing..you don't get it..they were never playing here..we offered them huge money and they wanted to play in Minny.

Probably the biggest mistake Minny ever made. We are lucky that Minny outbid us. With the salary cap you can't way overpay for players (esp. long term) and expect to be successful.

#24 guitard

guitard

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

Probably the biggest mistake Minny ever made. We are lucky that Minny outbid us. With the salary cap you can't way overpay for players (esp. long term) and expect to be successful.

But by the sounds of it - I think they would have went to Minny even if Minny's bid was a few million less than what they could have got elsewhere.  In other words, if another team had offered $100 million - I think they still would have taken the $98 million offer they got from Minny.

Edited by guitard, 10 February 2013 - 09:02 AM.

#25 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

You lost me on item #1 so I realized that this was not a well thought out post and stopped reading.

Chicago won the Cup with Niemi in goal - hardly a great goaltender.  He had a .910 save percentage in the playoffs the year they won the Cup

Pittsburgh won with Fluery with an .891 save percentage the year they won.

As of today, the 8 teams in the West that are below the #8 line are:

Dallas

Phoenix

Minny

Edmonton

Calgary

LA

Colorado 

Columbus

Of these 8 the only one that is a surprise is LA.  I know it's just under 1/4 way through but the LGW naysayers are going to be proved wrong.  The Wings WILL make the playoffs because there are at least 7 teams in the West that are worse than us.

Do or do not. There is no try

#26 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Chris, when does just making the playoffs become not good enough anymore? I always thought the goal here in hockeytown was to win the cup. We have digressed since '09 major changes need to be made unless mediocrity is good enough for Kenny and his gang of blind followers.

Edited by MasterPavel, 10 February 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#27 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Chris, when does just making the playoffs become not good enough anymore? I always thought the goal here in hockeytown was to win the cup. We have digressed since '09 major changes need to be made unless mediocrity is good enough for Kenny and his gang of blind followers.

A better question is when does just making the playoffs become good enough in the first place. It's not like we've been mediocre for years. In 14 years under Kenny we haven't finished lower than tied for 7th overall. Last year was the first time in 6 years we failed to make it past the first round. In each of the last three years, while we haven't been as dominant as some of our past teams, we have played like an elite team over long stretches. If one year of mediocrity in 15 seasons gets people calling for blood, how could anyone ever be successful.

Rebuilding, which I agree we do need, takes time. It takes top draft picks that aren't available to teams putting up 100+ points every year. Unless we get very lucky again, we'll have to actually get bad before we again become a top contender. That's just the way it works. I can live with a season or three of mediocrity before the bad times start.

#28 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

I never said that just making the playoffs was good enough.  At the start of the season, there were LOTS of people that said that we wouldn't even make the playoffs.  I am just pointing out what I said at that time.  We will make the playoffs.  Beyond that who knows?  How many people thought the Kings would win the Cup last year?

I don't buy all the doom and gloom crap.  Last year we were the #1 team in the league at the trade deadline.  We have some high level talent - Datsyuk and Z, some guys with really high upside - Smith, and Brunner and highly rated group of prospects.  I'm not sure why you are expecting "bad times"

redwings.gif TEAM BREAKDOWN:

Strengths: The Red Wings have a balanced and deep prospect pool. Brendan Smith and Gustav Nyquist have put in their time in the minors and are ready for NHL duty, while the next wave including scoring winger Tomas Jurco and goalie Petr Mrazek are making their professional debuts in 2012-13. Skill, hockey sense, and work ethic are the hallmarks of their deep and talented forward pool. There is a steady stream of defenseman at all levels of play, including junior prospects and second-round picks in 2011 Ryan Sproul and Xavier Ouellet each with the potential to crack the Wings' top-four defensemen in the futur

Do or do not. There is no try

#29 Kindl Surprise

Kindl Surprise

Rookie

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

When I watched Niemi VS Leighton in the cup final a couple years ago, i realized that you can win without elite goaltending

#30 Adidarw

Adidarw

All Day I Dream About Red Wings

• HoF Booster
  • 422 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

And what's the deal with people crapping on Kronwall's ability to be a top pairing defenseman?

http://www.nhl.com/i...iewName=summary

Good point.  I'd like to point out that even while he's up there (number 5, currently) he also has (many) more penalty minutes than 99% of the other guys on that page.  So he's putting points up there with the big dogs, even while spending more time in the box than them.

#31 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

Where are these guys that you speak of? Suter ? We put a huge offer out for him..he was never coming here..he wanted to play in Minny..end of conversation on that one.  Check out that link with the top defensive scorers on it.  There isn't one guy in the top 30 that is head and shoulders above the rest.  Alot of really good guys there but spending 10 mil a year on any of those guys is crazy. 

I agree with Tootoo, he's been completely worth the investment.  I think that Sammy signing was stupid along with the Bert one.  I think I wouldn't have minded 1 year contracts for each, but I'm not thrilled about multiple years for both.  And Bertuzzi is a 3rd line player, except he's playing with a top 2 line with Datsyuk.