• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Detroit # 1 Fan

Ericsson

Rate this topic

He played well today. Played physical. Wired that game winner.

He had a great game today, even without the last second goal. He looks poised out there. Taking his time and making great outlet passes, playing physical. He's likely never going to be a top pairing guy so there will be mistakes, but he's a solid middle pair and great on the PK.

I've defended him on my short time here and elsewhere around the internet. I even defended the contract when everyone cried we over paid.

He's looked damn good so far this season, I hope he continues improving, and playing consistently

Yep Ericcson was really good at the end of last season when he came back and awesome this year. He finishes all his checks anow and actually manhandles guys in the corners. I think being physical keeps his head in it more and maybe causes less mental mistakes

I'll 2nd, 3rd, 4th (whatever order I'm in), on how well Big E has been playing. Kindl has been playing well too, along with Quincey. I haven't noticed anything negative from Quincey for a few games. Our D seems to be coming into their own. I figured it would take 10 games or so for everyone to step into their new roles with Lidstrom gone.

I've defended him on my short time here and elsewhere around the internet. I even defended the contract when everyone cried we over paid.

He's looked damn good so far this season, I hope he continues improving, and playing consistently

You and me both, E's contract was based on market value.

There was a few times today during the game I said, "Nice play E". A few years ago I was saying, "Man, it's always an adventure when he has the puck".

Didn't see it, but listening on the radio, Kal/Woods had several good things to say about him today. E is 28 just gtting to the point where he is comfortable and experienced.

For those that complain about his contraxct now, wait untill after next season when he is a UFA. can you say 5 million? At this rate and level of play, yup. get ready.

So Holland knows what he's doing?

Its called dumb luck. There was no reason to expect Big E's resurgence. Unless holland legit has a crystal ball then there is no way he could have predicted this.

How not? Holland and the coaching staff have far more and much more intimate knowledge about E than any of us will be able to gather from watching one hour of play per week. We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

Any criticism Big E, or any other player for that matter (kindl, flip, franzen, etc), received at the time was deserved. When players play like crap there's gonna be complaining and griping, and rightfully so. Case in point, Cleary. Cleary has served us well in the past but looks like dog turd right now. He will continue to be the focal point of criticism until he improves his game. So spare us all the ridiculous "told ya so" comments when a player has a good game or stretch because it just makes the person saying it look childish.

esteef

I think most people under estimated Big E and in comparison to Lids and Kronner, he became the goat on defense. We now have Kindl and QUINCEY so we all truly know now what bad defense is. :P

I have always liked Ericssons game.....he is just playing up to his potential now

I think most people under estimated Big E and in comparison to Lids and Kronner, he became the goat on defense. We now have Kindl and QUINCEY so we all truly know now what bad defense is. :P

I have always liked Ericssons game.....he is just playing up to his potential now

this.

I have been saying since last year how much better he has become, and every game he seems to improve. It's nice too see others noticing it finally to, way to go Big Rig on the winning goal!

Its called dumb luck. There was no reason to expect Big E's resurgence. Unless holland legit has a crystal ball then there is no way he could have predicted this.

He sees him every day or close to it. He sees his practices, his improvement and he's seen his development since day one. He sure as hell saw his great play last season. Maybe it's possible that Holland knows something we don't.

Forum logic: The GM must be stupid, it can't be us overreacting.

The past criticisms of Ericsson's game were entirely fair. It might be that we had unreasonably high expectations for him based on how he played in the '09 Playoffs paired with Lidstrom. There were many examples from 2009-12 of poor positioning, total lack of offensive involvement, and a physical dimension to his game that was disappointing given his size.

That being said, his play this season has been outstanding, and is finally worth the contract that made LGW collectively groan when it was signed. Of course, being surrounded by other crappier defensemen probably helps the perception. But his breakout passes have been excellent, and he's always had a hard shot, it's just that his hands of stone usually render it moot. And there were some key decisions in that Kings game Sunday where he jumped on passes and diffuse some potential disasters on defense.

I think one problem that Ericsson had was that he broke in with the Wings already in his mid-20's, and was perceived as being "over-ripe" (a 2002 draft pick that didn't debut until 2008). But he was also a converted forward, and many tall defenseman (Chara, even Hal Gill to an extent) seem to struggle figuring things out until they've been in the league for several years. My point is simply that maybe Ericsson (who just turned 28) is on a different developmental scale. Whatever the case, if he kept up this level of play for the rest of the year, I think we'd be thrilled.

Guest RedWingsDad

I used to be a big critic of 'pylon', but am happy to see him excelling so far this season. I did notice he improved towards the later half of last year as well. Let's just hope it sticks.

Guest The Axe

Hes fine. He isnt the issue. Wings need more size at forward. Franzen and Bertuzzi play like they are 5'5"/ 165 lbs. That hurts us.

It really looks like Ericsson's taken a huge step forward and he's finally playing a simple, mature game instead of trying to do too much. The results really speak for themselves. Hopefully he continues to grow into a #2 guy that can play those huge PK minutes but offer us a strong option for the 2nd PP.