• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

I think most people under estimated Big E and in comparison to Lids and Kronner, he became the goat on defense. We now have Kindl and QUINCEY so we all truly know now what bad defense is. :P
I have always liked Ericssons game.....he is just playing up to his potential now
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#42 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

I think most people under estimated Big E and in comparison to Lids and Kronner, he became the goat on defense. We now have Kindl and QUINCEY so we all truly know now what bad defense is. :P
I have always liked Ericssons game.....he is just playing up to his potential now

this.

I have been saying since last year how much better he has become, and every game he seems to improve. It's nice too see others noticing it finally to, way to go Big Rig on the winning goal!

#43 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Its called dumb luck. There was no reason to expect Big E's resurgence. Unless holland legit has a crystal ball then there is no way he could have predicted this.

He sees him every day or close to it. He sees his practices, his improvement and he's seen his development since day one. He sure as hell saw his great play last season. Maybe it's possible that Holland knows something we don't.

Forum logic: The GM must be stupid, it can't be us overreacting.

#44 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

The past criticisms of Ericsson's game were entirely fair.  It might be that we had unreasonably high expectations for him based on how he played in the '09 Playoffs paired with Lidstrom.  There were many examples from 2009-12 of poor positioning, total lack of offensive involvement, and a physical dimension to his game that was disappointing given his size.

That being said, his play this season has been outstanding, and is finally worth the contract that made LGW collectively groan when it was signed.  Of course, being surrounded by other crappier defensemen probably helps the perception.  But his breakout passes have been excellent, and he's always had a hard shot, it's just that his hands of stone usually render it moot.  And there were some key decisions in that Kings game Sunday where he jumped on passes and diffuse some potential disasters on defense.

I think one problem that Ericsson had was that he broke in with the Wings already in his mid-20's, and was perceived as being "over-ripe" (a 2002 draft pick that didn't debut until 2008).  But he was also a converted forward, and many tall defenseman (Chara, even Hal Gill to an extent) seem to struggle figuring things out until they've been in the league for several years.  My point is simply that maybe Ericsson (who just turned 28) is on a different developmental scale.  Whatever the case, if he kept up this level of play for the rest of the year, I think we'd be thrilled.

#45 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

I used to be a big critic of 'pylon', but am happy to see him excelling so far this season. I did notice he improved towards the later half of last year as well. Let's just hope it sticks.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#46 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Hes fine. He isnt the issue. Wings need more size at forward. Franzen and Bertuzzi play like they are 5'5"/ 165 lbs. That hurts us.

#47 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

It really looks like Ericsson's taken a huge step forward and he's finally playing a simple, mature game instead of trying to do too much.  The results really speak for themselves.  Hopefully he continues to grow into a #2 guy that can play those huge PK minutes but offer us a strong option for the 2nd PP.

Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft