• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

That Nightmare on Helm Street article is saying the same thing as the article you're arguing against. Thigh risers are too big, and make it too easy to close the 5-hole.

Even the other article admits that equipment has lowered scoring. If bigger equipment was only offsetting better sticks, it shouldn't have an effect at all.

i supply both sides of the argument, i said it was for the sake of debate. i'm not one to sit here, put my fingers in my ears and scream, "nah nah nah I can't hear youuuu." the first article goes through and shows that goalie equipment hasn't been the biggest influence in the reduced scoring. 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#22 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

I am all for shorter pads. The thigh rises have gotten out of control. I think they should leave the width of the pads and gloves alone. They chopped a couple inches off of the width already and they eliminated calf wedges. Furthermore, an adult sized glove used to be intermediate sized just a few years ago. As far as ca's, pants, and masks. Those should be left alone. The gear shouldn't protrude in a way where it only serves the purpose of blocking shots. But, the gear does need to be bulky in order for it to be safe. A couple of months ago, I took clapper to the sternum that had me coughing up blood. I play beer league hockey. If I it were an NHL player shooting, would have been f***ed.
You can make equipment more protective without making it so much bigger. Maybe a little heavier though.
Clapper???

The problem with making it heavier is that the goalie lose twice. Their gear will take up less net and they'll be less mobile. I agree that gear shouldn't aid the goalie on making a save. But, the gear shouldn't interfere with the goalie either.

A clapper is an especially hard slapshot named for the clapping noise emitted by the stick when it strikes the puck.

Edit: it's not like there's been a dearth of scoring. I don't want scores to reach double digits with any sort of regularity. One of the best things about hockey is how everyone is on their toes until a goal is scored. Once the puck goes in there's just an eruption of emotion. I feel that we would dilute the quality of the game if scoring were to increase dramatically.

Edited by The Greek, 10 February 2013 - 06:23 PM.