• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Toggers

Do We Really Need a New Stadium?

Rate this topic

Heres a thought. Wouldn't it be great to take the old train station move it and make a new arena out of it something like they did with thehudson building. It would be expensive to move and take longer than just building a new one. But it would be a great thing to a wonderful piece of MI history. Other than becoming what it already has become.

Heres a thought. Wouldn't it be great to take the old train station move it and make a new arena out of it something like they did with thehudson building. It would be expensive to move and take longer than just building a new one. But it would be a great thing to a wonderful piece of MI history. Other than becoming what it already has become.

Well, they could use the exterior to create a facade like they did with the arena in London, Ontario. Previously, a 150 year old building was there.

John_Labatt_Centre_-_Talbot_Inn_corner.j

The Hudson's Building was imploded on October 24, 1998. It was moved by several trucks to the salvage yard.

Tried to post YT video. Couldn't copypasta link.??? Sorry.

Edited by BigWillieStyle

The train station would more than likely crumble if moved.

Planning a stadium now will possibly produce a new building in 6-7 years. Imagine JLA in 7 more years. Gotta think and plan for the future.

Well, they could use the exterior to create a facade like they did with the arena in London, Ontario. Previously, a 150 year old building was there.

That's what I mean, use the exterior. It would be beautiful. Atleast nicer than some cookie cutter crap.

John_Labatt_Centre_-_Talbot_Inn_corner.j

Kronner gave some of this thoughts on a new arena to Cotsonika:

“This has become our home,” Kronwall said, leaning against a wall in the dressing room, a posh oasis in a spartan, outdated arena. “I know they’ve been talking about building a new rink. I hope they don’t, as long as I’m here at least.

“I don’t think there’s any way to just bring the culture and the history from this building and just move the banners and start something there. I don’t think it works like that. There’s something special about this rink, all the special players that have been here and are still around.”

I just don't see how they can refurb it without moving the team elsewhere for a season.

So I guess the question is...

The Palace for a season, and then back to a refurbished Joe

or

A brand-new arena which seems years away.

The palace is almost unthinkable as a home for the wings, as cavernous as it is...It is a pro-Detroit City Illitch owned team playing in Auburn Hills....but if it's temporary as a new arena is built or the joe is gutted and rebuilt, then so be it.

Edit: Who put this in wiki? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Palace_of_Auburn_Hills

Tenants

Detroit Pistons (NBA) (1988–present)
Detroit Shock (WNBA) (1998–2009)
Detroit Vipers (IHL) (1994–2001)
Detroit Safari (CISL) (1994–1997)
Detroit Rockers (NPSL) (1997–2000)
Detroit Red Wings (NHL) (2014)

Edited by Hiei

I remember being quite comfortable at the Vipers games back in the day at the Palace, but I was like 4 rows back so probably not a good judge for seats farther away. I haven't been to the joe in like 10 years but it was showing it's age a bit back then. I hope they do get a new arena and soon. A franchise as prestigious as the Wings should not be playing in a substandard arena, it's not like they're playing in a classic rink like the montreal forum or maple leaf gardens, tear it down and build a new tradition where you can actually piss and $hit at your leisure.

The palace is almost unthinkable as a home for the wings, as cavernous as it is...It is a pro-Detroit City Illitch owned team playing in Auburn Hills....but if it's temporary as a new arena is built or the joe is gutted and rebuilt, then so be it.

Edit: Who put this in wiki? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Palace_of_Auburn_Hills

LOL Is someone subtly telling us whats going to be announced this summer?

I remember being quite comfortable at the Vipers games back in the day at the Palace, but I was like 4 rows back so probably not a good judge for seats farther away. I haven't been to the joe in like 10 years but it was showing it's age a bit back then. I hope they do get a new arena and soon. A franchise as prestigious as the Wings should not be playing in a substandard arena, it's not like they're playing in a classic rink like the montreal forum or maple leaf gardens, tear it down and build a new tradition where you can actually piss and **** at your leisure.

Yep, went to quite a few Vipers games, too. I remember it being just fine, but then again I was a kid. Still, I had been to the Joe, and several minor league rinks in the region....and Vipers games were a fun time. I think it works, if they choose to keep the ol' Joe.

In any case, I don't see Ilitch dragging this out too much longer.

Gotta go with the Wiki then!

Seriously though, it is weird that the Wings are listed in 2014...but wouldn't you think that it would say 2013? Usually the start of the season is the start of their tenancy. That is how the rest are listed....

Seriously though, it is weird that the Wings are listed in 2014...but wouldn't you think that it would say 2013? Usually the start of the season is the start of their tenancy. That is how the rest are listed....

Would that be a little bit of short notice though? Wasn't it going to be a couple years before they started building a new one anyways, could be why it says 2014?

I would like to see it near Hockey town bar. That whole area is nice.

My only request is that it doesn't get a corp. sponsorship name. I'd be fines with Red Wings Arena sponsored by _________, but nothing like Jobings Arena or Honda Center.

I would like to see it near Hockey town bar. That whole area is nice.

My only request is that it doesn't get a corp. sponsorship name. I'd be fines with Red Wings Arena sponsored by _________, but nothing like Jobings Arena or Honda Center.

I don't know...the whole sponsored by thing sounds hokey as well....

I agree with your point and also wish we could have something simple like Tiger Stadium was...but unfortunately it won't be. It's all about the money.

My two ideas were The Cadillac Centre...but to honor the founder of Detroit, not GMC....then there was the Illitch Centre for Entertainment Arena, affectionately to be known as the I.C.E. Arena...

My two ideas were The Cadillac Centre...but to honor the founder of Detroit, not GMC....then there was the Illitch Centre of EXCELLENCE Arena, affectionately to be known as the I.C.E. Arena...

Fixed :P