• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 chuckdee

chuckdee

Prospect

• 40 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

Just use Ford Field

I don't know what would be worse, Ford Field or The Palace.

#42 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

The climate is right for it. They probably are taking advantage of the construction companies lull in work and getting low bids to do the work. I think they now own all the land they need for it now. The architect is the same who did AA in Dallas, as well as Cowboys new stadium and Liverpool new soccer stadium, among others. I'm sure if they have the land and the money, the sight lines will not be the same as AA.That was probably dictated by the maximum size of the building, minus ice size and concourse, = seating area. Even though the AA Arena is just surrounded by parking lots.

Let's hope the Wings are not "pinched" like that.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#43 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

0301detroit.jpg?w=620

This man has other ideas.

The gov wants to shut it down, you're saying? I'm out of the loop on the takeover and how it relates to the new arena.

#44 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

If for nothing else for more Bathrooms it bad not to mention the dangerous steps. Don't get me wrong I will miss the Joe when its gone lots of memories there but its time to join the rest of the league with a modern house. I have also been seeing a change in ice surface last 5 years we used to have a great sheet of ice now the puck is bouncing all over the place. We need new lines under the floor not that that can't be done there but is it worth doing there.
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#45 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

I am all for a new stadium as long as it's not a cookie cutter one.  Regarding Snyder, I do believe he signed something that allowed Mr. I to move forward (and use tax money) in the building of this, so I think he would still let it go through when he takes of the City.

My other request other than not being a cookie cutter is the name....no Amway! PLEASE!

Cadillac Centre © or The I.C.E Arena (The Illitch Centre for Entertainment Arena) ©

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#46 chuckdee

chuckdee

Prospect

• 40 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

The gov wants to shut it down, you're saying? I'm out of the loop on the takeover and how it relates to the new arena.

Wonder what Kwame's take on JLA was?  :lol:

#47 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Wonder what Kwame's take on JLA was?  :lol:

Funny you mention that...

My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm thinking not more than 3, or 4 years ago there was some "uproar" involving Mike Ilitch/Red Wings, and the Detroit mayor, and a spokeswoman for Kilpatrick made some really foolish comments (supporting Kilpatrick) that made me think that Kilpatrick was nothing more than a glorified hoodlum.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#48 chuckdee

chuckdee

Prospect

• 40 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

Funny you mention that...

My memory isn't the greatest, but I'm thinking not more than 3, or 4 years ago there was some "uproar" involving Mike Ilitch/Red Wings, and the Detroit mayor, and a spokeswoman for Kilpatrick made some really foolish comments (supporting Kilpatrick) that made me think that Kilpatrick was nothing more than a glorified hoodlum.

Sadly, It's been that way since I was a kid with Coleman Young and the city has been decimated by crooked politicians. 

#49 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for the reminder; Instalment Two of my property taxes are due the end of this month.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#50 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

I usually defer to the locals on issues involving JLA and live game attendance (having moved away when I was 22), but there's an increasing sentiment around the league that JLA is a dump.  Of course, it's hard to sever some of that from the usual anti-Detroit sentiment, but if you follow other teams around the league (namely beat writers, travelling fans, etc.), JLA gets a lot of complaints.

I'm usually pretty neutral on this issue, in part because it only affects me personally once in a blue moon.  But also because I just don't see what "problem" it is that will be solved by a new arena.  The "it" ticket in Detroit right now, as I see it anyway, is Comerica Park.  That's almost comical to me in the sense that they built that place and almost immediately...nobody cared.  Then 2006 happened and it was finally "cool" to be a Tigers fan again.

I don't view hockey as being the same as baseball, where there's loads of would-be fans that will show up just for the experience of the facility.  They might in the first year, but prices will invariably go up, and that's already a major problem with the Wings.  I understand that many of the vacant lower bowl seats are corporate ones where the tickets are paid for, but nobody shows up, but it looks really bad on TV.  A new rink isn't going to help that problem, especially if the team starts missing the Playoffs.

On the other side of it, you could argue that Detroit's days as a "major metorpolitan area" are long gone, and that this is just the new normal.  People waiting for the big "turnaround" where a new tax burden to fund the new stadium will be viewed as "reasonable" may be waiting for a long time.  Since we will eventually need a new arena, maybe it's just as well to do it now before things get worse.

#51 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

JLA is becoming a s*** hole, we really need a new arena, and hopefully it's sooner then later.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#52 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

Heres a thought. Wouldn't it be great to take the old train station move it and make a new arena out of it something like they did with thehudson building. It would be expensive to move and take longer than just building a new one. But it would be a great thing to a wonderful piece of MI history. Other than becoming what it already has become.

KOHARSKI, HAVE ANOTHER DONUT, YOU FAT PIG
"Statistics are for losers, unless they are good ones."- Mickey Redman
"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."- Ash
"Stay thirsty my friends."- The Most Interesting Man In The World

#53 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

Heres a thought. Wouldn't it be great to take the old train station move it and make a new arena out of it something like they did with thehudson building. It would be expensive to move and take longer than just building a new one. But it would be a great thing to a wonderful piece of MI history. Other than becoming what it already has become.

Well, they could use the exterior to create a facade like they did with the arena in London, Ontario. Previously, a 150 year old building was there. 

John_Labatt_Centre_-_Talbot_Inn_corner.j

#54 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

The Hudson's Building was imploded on October 24, 1998. It was moved by several trucks to the salvage yard.

Tried to post YT video. Couldn't copypasta link.??? Sorry.

Edited by BigWillieStyle, 25 April 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#55 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

The train station would more than likely crumble if moved.

Planning a stadium now will possibly produce a new building in 6-7 years. Imagine JLA in 7 more years. Gotta think and plan for the future.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#56 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

The Hudson's Building was imploded on October 24, 1998. It was moved by several trucks to the salvage yard.

Lol...thanks for that laugh. :)

#57 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

We love implosions!

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#58 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

Well, they could use the exterior to create a facade like they did with the arena in London, Ontario. Previously, a 150 year old building was there.

That's what I mean, use the exterior. It would be beautiful. Atleast nicer than some cookie cutter crap.

John_Labatt_Centre_-_Talbot_Inn_corner.j

KOHARSKI, HAVE ANOTHER DONUT, YOU FAT PIG
"Statistics are for losers, unless they are good ones."- Mickey Redman
"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."- Ash
"Stay thirsty my friends."- The Most Interesting Man In The World

#59 Rubbel_die_Katz

Rubbel_die_Katz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

Pleeease stay in the Joe until i had the chance to make a trip to Detroit ... :sadlike: :brow:

#60 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Kronner gave some of this thoughts on a new arena to Cotsonika

“This has become our home,” Kronwall said, leaning against a wall in the dressing room, a posh oasis in a spartan, outdated arena. “I know they’ve been talking about building a new rink. I hope they don’t, as long as I’m here at least.

“I don’t think there’s any way to just bring the culture and the history from this building and just move the banners and start something there. I don’t think it works like that. There’s something special about this rink, all the special players that have been here and are still around.”

I just don't see how they can refurb it without moving the team elsewhere for a season.

So I guess the question is...

The Palace for a season, and then back to a refurbished Joe

or

A brand-new arena which seems years away.