• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2/10 GDT : Kings 2 at Red Wings 3

Rate this topic

Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't the puck have to be in the zone actually? It has to completely exit the zone, past the blue line to come out, so isn't it the same going in? I've played hockey my whole life but that's not one I can answer for some reason. It escapes me.

Exactly.

The blueline is essentially considered a part of whatever zone the puck is currently in, so the puck has to completely cross the blueline before it is considered to have changed zones.

Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't the puck have to be in the zone actually? It has to completely exit the zone, past the blue line to come out, so isn't it the same going in? I've played hockey my whole life but that's not one I can answer for some reason. It escapes me.

Yeah since he's coming from the neutral zone the whole blueline is part of that zone as opposed to the offensive zone, meaning the puck has to go completely past the blueline before Dats enters the zone. So the play is actually offside.

But in reality, it was a bang-bang play and a split-second decision for the linesman. If not for people watching the play with modern technology in slow-motion and freeze-framing no one would even be discussing it. Also you could easily make an argument for the play falling under the exception that he had the puck under control, in which case it's okay for the puck to enter the zone after the player.

There were no complaints from Kings players or coaches, the fact that the puck entered the zone a millisecond after Pavel had no impact on how he split the D and scored on Quick. Beauty play no matter what. NHL linesmen get it right 99 times out of a 100 and the ones they get wrong usually even out over a season, you win some you lose some. In plays like this where it's extremely close and difficult to call on the ice I prefer that they let it go as opposed to breaking up the play.

Guest RedWingsDad

We got outplayed, Howard stood on his head to give us the victory. Rest up boys!

I know it's going to be tough all season long but this team has a bit more hunger than they have had in recent years. I didn't get to watch this game because I was skiing but I think the infusion of young players is pushing the vets and making everyone try just a bit harder to get the W every game.

From HFB;

BCxCi3MCMAAqb5I.jpg

i'd have to see a full replay to see exactly how the puck was played, but it probably was ruled.... positive control? I know there's been some messy calls with that ruling, especially when Iginila burned us on it a few seasons ago

When the game is called by humans, mistakes will be made. This picture just confirms it. How many calls have the wings gotten away with though that have not been called correctly by the refs? A lot. Same goes for the opposite. Fans of one team will look at all the missed or bad calls against the opposing teams as acceptable, while the blown calls against their team are unacceptable. The point is that mistakes are made and they all even out in the end. To use them as a crutch or excuse for winning or losing a game is just dumb.

What happens is Dats gets the benefit of the doubt because he actually plays pucks with his skate like that on purpose. Like in this case, he receives the pass at his feet either before or at the blue line, and the refs who are so accustomed to him using his feet gave him "possession" even though he technically skates ahead of the puck across the line. He maintained possession and no one was checking him for the refs to say he didn't have it. If that had been Tootoo it would've probably been called offsides.

esteef

Edited by esteef

Yeah since he's coming from the neutral zone the whole blueline is part of that zone as opposed to the offensive zone, meaning the puck has to go completely past the blueline before Dats enters the zone. So the play is actually offside.

But in reality, it was a bang-bang play and a split-second decision for the linesman. If not for people watching the play with modern technology in slow-motion and freeze-framing no one would even be discussing it. Also you could easily make an argument for the play falling under the exception that he had the puck under control, in which case it's okay for the puck to enter the zone after the player.

There were no complaints from Kings players or coaches, the fact that the puck entered the zone a millisecond after Pavel had no impact on how he split the D and scored on Quick. Beauty play no matter what. NHL linesmen get it right 99 times out of a 100 and the ones they get wrong usually even out over a season, you win some you lose some. In plays like this where it's extremely close and difficult to call on the ice I prefer that they let it go as opposed to breaking up the play.

Yep, this is what I thought. Some posts were just making me second guess myself.

Also, completely agree with everything you said. Mistakes like this happen all the time in such a fast moving game.

It's not his mindset, but his physical skills which have deteriorated - and no - I don't by the "getting in shape" argument. Franzen, maybe yes. Cleary is just plain done.

Cleary has more goals than Henrik Sedin... :ninja:

Guest irishock

Sweet pic, Dats uses this controller when he plays NHL 13

no need for that when you have legit hacking software

What happens is Dats gets the benefit of the doubt because he actually plays pucks with his skate like that on purpose. Like in this case, he receives the pass at his feet either before or at the blue line, and the refs who are so accustomed to him using his feet gave him "possession" even though he technically skates ahead of the puck across the line. He maintained possession and no one was checking him for the refs to say he didn't have it. If that had been Tootoo it would've probably been called offsides.

esteef

I think it's pretty safe to assume that if the puck is within 8' of Pavel, then he has control of it. Doesn't matter who has the puck.