• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
derblaueClaus

Joey MacDonald claimed by Calgary off waivers

Rate this topic

Right move for the Wings, Howard, Gus and Mzarek is plenty of depth.

Lol, don't jinx it! :lol:

I went to the Wings game yesterday and after the game my friends was checking some sports feed on his phone and said Joey Mac had been waived. I had a hunch Calgary might take him. Smart move, considering Kiprusoff has shown he isn't completely made of iron, and they traded away Karlsson earlier in the season.

I wish Joey good luck in Calgary. Glad he gets to stay in the NHL.

Edited by DSM

First, I'm happy for Joey Mac and glad he'll get a chance to get some games in (though if Kipper actually comes back healthy, he plays like 90% of their games).

But as exciting as Mrazek was on Thursday, there's really not argument that we're better losing MacDonald from the organization versus having him in Grand Rapids as an option. Simply put, we cannot count on Monster to be healthy, at all. It took him all of 12 minutes to get hurt for at least a month, and it's not like he was Mr. Durable before that.

MacDonald's departure means that Mrazek impressed the Wings and will get some more games in the upcoming back to backs. Good. But it also means that if Gustavsson fails to stay healthy, Mrazek will be wasting away on the bench as a 20-year old netminder who is developmentally young for the AHL, let alone the NHL.

People need to keep Jonathan Bernier in mind when they assume that Mrazek will just stick with the Red Wings because of one good game. Bernier was fast-tracked and got a cup of tea with the Kings before Quick had emerged, and looked great. Bernier is now 24, and still looks like a great prospect, but he's buried behind Quick on the depth chart. Mrazek had a 5th round pedigree, but I gotta tell you, he looked fundamentally great on Thursday. But he needs games at the professional level, and the AHL is the only place he's going to get them (unless, heaven forbid, Jimmy goes down). People would feel differently about this issue if things hadn't gone so right on Thursday.

First, I'm happy for Joey Mac and glad he'll get a chance to get some games in (though if Kipper actually comes back healthy, he plays like 90% of their games).

But as exciting as Mrazek was on Thursday, there's really not argument that we're better losing MacDonald from the organization versus having him in Grand Rapids as an option. Simply put, we cannot count on Monster to be healthy, at all. It took him all of 12 minutes to get hurt for at least a month, and it's not like he was Mr. Durable before that.

MacDonald's departure means that Mrazek impressed the Wings and will get some more games in the upcoming back to backs. Good. But it also means that if Gustavsson fails to stay healthy, Mrazek will be wasting away on the bench as a 20-year old netminder who is developmentally young for the AHL, let alone the NHL.

People need to keep Jonathan Bernier in mind when they assume that Mrazek will just stick with the Red Wings because of one good game. Bernier was fast-tracked and got a cup of tea with the Kings before Quick had emerged, and looked great. Bernier is now 24, and still looks like a great prospect, but he's buried behind Quick on the depth chart. Mrazek had a 5th round pedigree, but I gotta tell you, he looked fundamentally great on Thursday. But he needs games at the professional level, and the AHL is the only place he's going to get them (unless, heaven forbid, Jimmy goes down). People would feel differently about this issue if things hadn't gone so right on Thursday.

until monster is healthy, Mrazek backs up howie. We can't have a guy like McCollum losing games for us in this shortened season, and JMac was injured so we had to bring up Mrazek, he played awesome for us and gave Jimmy a much needed break. Holland and Babs obviously felt he was a better choice to back up howie than JMac who has been injured almost a year now and hasn't played a game in that time. I think it's good he will get a chance to see some playing time in the NHL, and I hope Monster gets well soon, as of right now, I am very happy with Mrazek backing up Howie

I don't think Joey's departure had anything to do with Mrazek being "better" or "ready", it was more or less that KH's hands were tied. I think KH wanted to keep Joey around as a good insurance policy, considering Gustavssons now questionable durability. However, I don't think the Red Wings wanted to toss McDonald in the fold when he hasn't seen any action in 11 months. They also didn't have a roster space they wanted to keep open in order to send him to GR on a conditioning stint, especially considering how injuries have gone this season. He needed to get some games in at the AHL level, and unfortunately the only way the wings could do that was through waivers.

I think KH took his chances with waivers, hoping that no one would claim a 33Y/O #2/3 goaltender who has been out for almost a year with a bad back.

Edited by DSM

Guest Johnz96

Good for Joey Mac, hopefully he can get some starts and play as successful as he did here. Right move for the Wings, Howard, Gus and Mzarek is plenty of depth.

I don't think Joey's departure had anything to do with Mrazek being "better" or "ready", it was more or less that KH's hands were tied. I think KH wanted to keep Joey around as a good insurance policy, considering Gustavssons now questionable durability. However, I don't think the Red Wings wanted to toss McDonald in the fold when he hasn't seen any action in 11 months. They also didn't have a roster space they wanted to keep open in order to send him to GR on a conditioning stint, especially considering how injuries have gone this season. He needed to get some games in at the AHL level, and unfortunately the only way the wings could do that was through waivers.

I think KH took his chances with waivers, hoping that no one would claim a 33Y/O #2/3 goaltender who has been out for almost a year with a bad back.

He might have a rough return and if he does hope they give him a chance to get his groove back. He was great for us when we needed him in Detroit and Grand Rapids

MacDonald is really underrated. I'm not surprised the CGY scouts saw something in him. He's always been starter material. He'll never be great but he's yet another guy who gets wrongly doomed to backup duty because you just can't shake that rep unless you get the chance, but you won't get the chance if you've got the rep.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

The Flames are going to be in serious trouble when Kipper hangs 'em up.

Freddy Brathwaite should come out of retirement :D:P