• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

daniel1

Brunner's rookie status?

Rate this topic

He won't adapt much more than he already has. He improved a lot already in his defensive game during the last 5-6 games, in that he's not just barely floating around anymore but instead at least makes some effort to attack the puck holder, or is trying to carry the puck into the offensive zone rather than just looking for a pass always or shooting it in the corner.

Is Brunner still playing in the NHL in 3 years? I think it will all and almost solely depend on his scoring record. His defensive play will play a role, meaning that if he really sucks (like in the first 2-4 games), he won't have a chance.

It could be seen from the last couple of games that his "engagement" in playing for the team was accompanied by a smaller number of shots on goal (went down from around 3-6/game to 2-4). I think that's a good thing, as long as he can still get the puck in regularly.

Physical play? Forget it! He's too old to learn these new tricks. Playing more for and with the team? Possible. (Even) score more? Well possible.

You think if Brunner couldn't be responsible defensively he would have no chance of being in the nhl in 3 years? thats rich, I mean c'mon, look at franzen, stamkos, ove, and many other snipers (i know franzen isn't a sniper) they all have a great offensive upside and no real defensive prowess. They are some of the leagues best forwards though, I don't see anyone rushing to ship them overseas...

Guest The Axe

You think if Brunner couldn't be responsible defensively he would have no chance of being in the nhl in 3 years? thats rich, I mean c'mon, look at franzen, stamkos, ove, and many other snipers (i know franzen isn't a sniper) they all have a great offensive upside and no real defensive prowess. They are some of the leagues best forwards though, I don't see anyone rushing to ship them overseas...

I dont know if Im ready to throw Brunner in the mix with these guys just yet.

I dont know if Im ready to throw Brunner in the mix with these guys just yet.

He's not throwing them in the mix, he's saying that those players aren't good at defense. So if other teams hold onto players that aren't good defensively, why would he not continue to be in the NHL? That's all. Basically saying, goal scorers don't NEED to be responsibility defensively, and that's what Brunner is. I think it's wrong to say that he's "molded" in his ways. Within a sample size of games, the franchise is already making him into a better player, which will fulfill his completeness. To see change within this small of a sample size, and NOTICEABLE change, you could expect if the pattern continued, that within 3 years he certainly won't be the same player as he is right now, but more complete and better. Some players just need the right guidance and staff to develop their game, in which this franchise has some of the best players, staff, and guidance within the locker room.

He's not throwing them in the mix, he's saying that those players aren't good at defense. So if other teams hold onto players that aren't good defensively, why would he not continue to be in the NHL? That's all. Basically saying, goal scorers don't NEED to be responsibility defensively, and that's what Brunner is. I think it's wrong to say that he's "molded" in his ways. Within a sample size of games, the franchise is already making him into a better player, which will fulfill his completeness. To see change within this small of a sample size, and NOTICEABLE change, you could expect if the pattern continued, that within 3 years he certainly won't be the same player as he is right now, but more complete and better. Some players just need the right guidance and staff to develop their game, in which this franchise has some of the best players, staff, and guidance within the locker room.

thank you, I'm glad someone understood what I meant.

I just hope Brunner becoming more defensively responsible does not affect his goal scoring abilities (see: Ovechkin)

Howard was a finalist, wasn't he?

Yup, in the 2009-2010 season, along with Matt Duchene and Tyler Myers. The latter of which winning it.

Steve Mason in 2009

What's funny is that Jimmy had better stats the very next season, but lost.

thats rich, I mean c'mon, look at franzen, stamkos, ove, and many other snipers (i know franzen isn't a sniper) they all have a great offensive upside and no real defensive prowess. They are some of the leagues best forwards though, I don't see anyone rushing to ship them overseas...

Pardon me, but these three players make for a weak comparison. All three played pk right from their first NHL season. Ovechkin and Franzen are also significantly taller and heavier than Brunner, which of course makes it easier to them. If these three are bad defensively, then what is Brunner? Franzen is very solid defensively compared to Brunner. Could be seen in every game so far.

There's a lot of room between "being really bad in the defense" and "not belonging to best defensive forwards in the league".

I'd be surprised to see Brunner play pk this season.

And if he drops below 0.5 pts/game, he'll have a hard stand in the medium term.

Pardon me, but these three players make for a weak comparison. All three played pk right from their first NHL season. Ovechkin and Franzen are also significantly taller and heavier than Brunner, which of course makes it easier to them. If these three are bad defensively, then what is Brunner? Franzen is very solid defensively compared to Brunner. Could be seen in every game so far.

There's a lot of room between "being really bad in the defense" and "not belonging to best defensive forwards in the league".

I'd be surprised to see Brunner play pk this season.

And if he drops below 0.5 pts/game, he'll have a hard stand in the medium term.

lmao, this post is a joke. Brunner is adjusting much faster to the NA game then anyone expected, in Europe he didn't have to play defence, and he has been getting much better game after game, and the last 3 games has been much more responsible defensively then, Franzen, Quincey, Kronwall, and half of our bottom 6. Franzen may be bigger but he doesn't use his body so it's a moot point.