• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official 2013 MLB Thread

Rate this topic

I definitely won't miss Boesch. Outside of a handful of sizzling hot months at the plate, he has been a pretty bad baseball player. 2nd worst WAR in the entire American League last season. Pathetic defense and can't seem to make adjustments with his swing when he goes cold. I also didn't like the vibe he gave off last year when things weren't going well and Leyland more or less said Boesch wasn't willing to listen to the coaching staff. I guess that's how you go from starting RF to left off the playoff roster in favor of a career minor leaguer and prospect with AA experience.

As for the Tigers remaining, my guess is that Kobernus definitely makes the team. Hopefully he can fill the platoon role with Dirks in LF and be able to hit left-handed pitching. Don't really care if they go with Berry or Kelly for the other spot. Neither can hit worth a damn. Berry's speed is less valuable with Kobernus and I think Kelly plays better defense. My preference would be Danny Worth over Santiago, though I don't see that happening. Worth is far superior with the glove and could probably hit just as well in that backup infielder spot if given the chance.

It seems like Tuiasosopo is turning some heads with the bat and also hits from the right side of the plate, so I could certainly see him joining Dirks. Kobernus is a 2B by trade so he could be earn a spot over Berry simply because of his versatility - assuming he progresses in the outfield.

I agree that Santiago makes the team over Worth if for no other reason than Worth's remaining option.

If I had to wager a guess right now I'd say that Tuiasosopo, Kobernus, Pena, and Santiago are the team's Opening Day bench players and Smyly starts the year in long relief.

I agree with you 100% on Boesch, too. I think his attitude last year was the real nail in the coffin to his Tigers career. Lack of production, bad defense, and a poor outlook is a perfect recipe to find yourself cut. He went 0-3 in his Yankees debut.

I'm going to be that guy and reply to myself here, but the Tigers are on FSD today with their Opening Day line-up behind Doug Fister.

Game starts in a few minutes so I thought I'd throw that out there.

Kobernus was returned to the Nationals, so that experiment is now over. Looks like Tuiasosopo and his power may end up being the right-handed option to platoon with Dirks in left. I have seen rumors the Tigers are interested in bringing Casper Wells back, which would be fine with me. I always liked him personally when he was here. Since Kobernus' only real asset was speed, I guess I prefer Berry to be the other OF on the roster now if they go with Tuiasosopo. Leyland doesn't ever pinch run for the big guns (which I agree with), but it would be nice to have Berry around for maybe Avila or Peralta late in games. I am pretty certain Don Kelly is going to make the team no matter what, though.

Santiago does nothing for me. He can't hit, isn't fast and doesn't play defense that well. I wish they would just cut ties and let Worth have that role instead.

Kobernus was returned to the Nationals, so that experiment is now over. Looks like Tuiasosopo and his power may end up being the right-handed option to platoon with Dirks in left. I have seen rumors the Tigers are interested in bringing Casper Wells back, which would be fine with me. I always liked him personally when he was here. Since Kobernus' only real asset was speed, I guess I prefer Berry to be the other OF on the roster now if they go with Tuiasosopo. Leyland doesn't ever pinch run for the big guns (which I agree with), but it would be nice to have Berry around for maybe Avila or Peralta late in games. I am pretty certain Don Kelly is going to make the team no matter what, though.

Santiago does nothing for me. He can't hit, isn't fast and doesn't play defense that well. I wish they would just cut ties and let Worth have that role instead.

So it's official now that Tuiasosopo will be Dirks' platoon partner, though I imagine he cools off and is sent down to the minors by mid-May. I would love to see Casper Wells DFA'ed and back in a Tigers uniform, hell, I'll even send one of Detroit's many relievers to Seattle for him. He'd be a perfect compliment to Dirks - plus defense, good speed, some pop - in that LF spot.

I don't know if Berry impressed enough to stay up with the big club. I think the final spot goes to Kelly. He's got lots of versatility and he's been tearing the cover off the ball this spring, putting an exclamation point on it all by going 4-4 today with 2 doubles and a home run.

I'd agree that Santiago's time is just about up. I think there is a team out there that would like what he has to offer and I imagine that before too long the Tigers will give him up to someone. Worth has earned his role with the team, he's just a victim of circumstance that will end up in Toledo because he has an option left.

Edit: No sooner do I post that than Buster Olney comes through with this — @Buster_ESPN: Tigers have indicated to other teams that Ramon Santiago is available.

So I guess the Tigers might be looking at Worth off the bench, which I think everyone is ready for. Neither guy can hit their way out of a wet paper bag, though I always loved Ramon's "sneaky power". It's time for Worth to get his due, though.

Rondon had another good outing today, but it's coming off a pair of poor ones - so I guess we're in for a roller coaster ride. I imagine the bullpen arms that go up north are Smyly, Villarreal, Alburquerque, Coke, Benoit, Dotel, and Rondon with any one of the last four working in a sort of committee closer role to get Rondon comfortable. He has the stuff, he just has to be sure to put it together when he gets out on the mound.

I for one am ready for the real games to start.

Edited by Travis

Another bad outing from Bruce Bruce.

Resulting in a trip to Toledo to start the season. I'm personally fine with it. If Rondon isn't ready, no sense in hampering his development by having him struggle in the big leagues all for the sake of needing a "defined closer". I think closing games and the save stat are way overrated generally in baseball. Leyland wants defined roles, but I don't think it is necessary right now with the pieces the Tigers have in the bullpen. The Tigers can go by committee for awhile until Rondon fixes his control issues or they could take a shot with Brian Wilson maybe in a few months.

My preference would be to see Dotel/Coke based on potential matchups in the 9th. Either would scare me probably as much as Valverde did exclusively closing games, but I think they could be sufficient against righties and lefties respectfully. I don't want Benoit there because of his penchant for giving up HR's and he has been very reliable in the 8th inning. Use Smyly/Villarreal to chew up multiple innings, Al Al/Downs in the 7th. I honestly don't believe the bullpen is all that rough, despite the overhwhelming nervous energy they seem to have drawn throughout Spring Training.

The 25-man roster is set. As expected, Don Kelly beat out Berry and Santiago "won" the infield job over Worth. Don't like either decision, but if the two final roster spots are the biggest complaints heading into Opening Day, things are looking pretty good.

Edited by GoWings1905

I don't think Santiago is long for his role with the Tigers. Worth has earned his spot on the team, but finds himself out of luck because of his remaining options. I also don't expect Tuiasosopo to stick around too long. Myself, I hope the Tigers sign Casper Wells to platoon with Dirks - should he be released by Seattle.

It would have been nice to see Rondon make it, but he's simply not ready. It would also have been nice to have a contingency plan. Despite the capable arms in the bullpen, the Tigers' pen is set up to have pitchers designated by inning and situation, without a 9th inning man it throws the rest of the bullpen out of whack. That said, they still have plenty of time to come up with a solution — Dombrowski even mentioned having Smyly come in around the 6th inning and pitch the rest of the game through, which I would be very interested in.

Big news coming from the Tigers today, it looks like.

@Buster_ESPN: Hearing rumblings of major news... More to come.

@JustinVerlander: Today is going to be a great day. Big news coming!

I'm guessing Verlander becomes the Major League's first $200mil pitcher.

edit: I'm good.

@MLB: BREAKING: @JustinVerlander, @tigers agree to 5-year contract extension through 2019 with vesting option for 2020.

@Buster_ESPN: Sources: Justin Verlander can make $202m under terms of his new deal. He'll get $180m over next seven seasons, plus vesting option of $22m.

Edited by Travis

Yes! Thrilled this got done now and the possibility of JV leaving the Tigers is gone. Don't have good feelings about Cabrera's looming free agency with two massive contracts already on the payroll. However, there's a World Series to be won before that becomes a concern.

Smyly was off today, but that's not a role he is real accustomed to yet, so I'm not too concerned. Al Al, Benoit and Coke all did a nice job to secure the victory. JV didn't have his best stuff, though the conditions were hardly ideal and he still didn't give up a run. Got his first win on Opening Day as well.

So glad baseball is finally back. Now, I'm really getting stoked for the home opener on Friday.

Smyly was off today, but that's not a role he is real accustomed to yet, so I'm not too concerned. Al Al, Benoit and Coke all did a nice job to secure the victory. JV didn't have his best stuff, though the conditions were hardly ideal and he still didn't give up a run. Got his first win on Opening Day as well.

So glad baseball is finally back. Now, I'm really getting stoked for the home opener on Friday.

Yeah, Drew did not instill a lot of confidence, but he'll be fine. He's been throwing well and it was what, 34° in Minnesota? On Bless You Boys, someone purporting to know Smyly quoted him as saying he "couldn't feel the ball", whether or not that's an actual quote I don't deny that it's probably true.

Nice to see the other bullpen arms do their jobs well, though. Very nice.

Also:

rangersreport_0403spo001.JPG

If Blue Jays Catcher J.P. Arencibia keeps having games like he did last last night, he's going to be on a first-name basis with all the ticket holders in the front row behind home plate. He should just take the solid advice of broadcasting legend (yes, I said it) Bob Uecker:

The way to catch a knuckleball is to wait until it stops rolling and then pick it up.

If Blue Jays Catcher J.P. Arencibia keeps having games like he did last last night, he's going to be on a first-name basis with all the ticket holders in the front row behind home plate. He should just take the solid advice of broadcasting legend (yes, I said it) Bob Uecker:

Sounds like Thole wont stay in AAA long.

Well, today is another day. I'll be sure to stay away from the vast amounts of people who will no doubt be declaring, "THIS IS BECAUSE NO ONE WAS NAMED CLOSER!" Granted, Phil probably shouldn't have faced that righty when Dotel and Al-Al were still available, but hey - it's only April.

As an aside, I wanted to mention that a close friend of mine started a Tigers blog complete with cursing, totally biased opinions, and everything else you want from a blog about your favorite team. I know this isn't exactly the forum to do it, but I thought I'd mention it in the event that anyone might be interested in reading it.

Musings of a Displaced Tigers Fan