• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

Video of Joe Buck calling a couple mins of Blues game

Rate this topic

Oh please Joe Buck, DO NOT going into hockey broadcasting now. He already ruins every football & baseball game he does imo. The new hockey broadcast team of my nightmares now: Joe Buck, Eddie "Subtle Interference" Olczyk, & Pierre McGuire between the benches.

Joe Buck has never had a good call ever.

I don't like Joe Buck, but that's simply not true.

That said - he usually seems as though he'd rather be anywhere else.

Edited by Travis

Joe Buck, in all of his career, has 1 call that he even sounds like he's awake to make.

It was nice to see that he is a hockey fan and owns season tix, even if it is for the Blues.

Given the choice, if I didn't listen to Ken and Mick, I'd like to have either Sam Rosen or Pat Foley. Both are knowledgeable about the sport and it's history and quirks. Unfortunately Foley gets stuck with Edzo, but at least Foley is like listening to Harry Caray.

Joe Buck, in all of his career, has 1 call that he even sounds like he's awake to make.

It was nice to see that he is a hockey fan and owns season tix, even if it is for the Blues.

Given the choice, if I didn't listen to Ken and Mick, I'd like to have either Sam Rosen or Pat Foley. Both are knowledgeable about the sport and it's history and quirks. Unfortunately Foley gets stuck with Edzo, but at least Foley is like listening to Harry Caray.

This is actually one of my favorite calls in sports history.

As I've said, I am no Joe Buck supporter (despite how I come across in this thread). I think he's an ass most of the time. I do understand that he comes from an old-school style of broadcasting, though. He clearly took a lot from his dad, who covered sports in an era where you simply didn't shout, yell, or get excited about anything. Russ Hodges was actually criticized by colleagues for the way he called Bobby Thompson's Shot Heard 'Round the World (The Giants win the pennant!) because of his excitement and 'lack of professionalism'.

But, I digress. Back to the topic at hand, that video is insanely awkward. Buck comes across like a real dick, too, when he tells Pang he doesn't care where Bernier's from.

Oh please Joe Buck, DO NOT going into hockey broadcasting now. He already ruins every football & baseball game he does imo. The new hockey broadcast team of my nightmares now: Joe Buck, Eddie "Subtle Interference" Olczyk, & Pierre McGuire between the benches.

I get the hate for Pierre but he doesn't deserve it. He's easy to pick on but he loves the game, doesn't favor anyone, he knows more than anyone on any forum I've ever seen and is in general a pretty good guy. His annunciation used to bug me to death but he's improved. I'd honestly add him to most broadcast teams just for the knowledge. You don't get many guys in this sport who can correctly analyze a play, notice the little things and just overall have his type of hockey smarts.

I'm picky too. I really only like Ken/Mick, Thorne/Clement and Al Michaels. Ken and Mick are the best in the biz. It's not homerism either, they mesh perfectly, Ken has the best voice for hockey to me and Mick compliments him ideally with a good voice, good stories, good knowledge of the sport and he's likeable as hell. To boot they're obviously Wings fans but will always respect and acknowledge the other team's talents. Fox sports doesn't have any other local guys who do that. Thorne/Clement are purely just great voices. Their knowledge is mediocre, but good enough that I'm not annoyed. They can make a boring game good, they know exactly how to call a game. And Al Michaels, regardless of what sport, comes off as a guy who really does his homework and tries his best to do his job well. Great football guy, average hockey knowledge but he gets respect from me because you can tell he's trying to learn the players/teams and is a smart sports mind, and gets hockey.

CBC is terribad. You get one team of old farts who are 15 years past their expiration date who are 2-4 sentences behind the play and have no clue who anyone is. Then you get the second team of Jim Hughson (and his shameless Vancouver homerism)and some other schmuck. NBC is basically Doc calling a good game but selling the league's agenda way too hard, Pierre offering intelligent analysis and Olcyk screwing up with his idiocy. TSN is just deathly boring and their analysts are buffoons. And those are just the guys calling the games. When I see Milbury and that other fat headed muppet start to pick apart games between periods I just go do something else.

Where's Pang usually? His love for the Blues gets annoying when he brings it to nationally televised games.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

Joe Buck announcing while not knowing any of the Kings players is still an improvement because John Kelly is absolutely terrible. T.E.R.R.I.B.L.E. The only reason he has that job is because of who his dad was. But then I guess the same can be said of Joe.

I hate Joe Buck with a fiery passion, but you guys made him seem way worse than he actually was. I would never want to have to hear him on a regular basis, but he knew some of the terms and how to correctly pronounce some of the players names which is something not even some hockey fans can do. Considering he never calls hockey, he didn't do half bad. Give the guy a little credit.