• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cr00d

Ryan Whitney

Rate this topic

Looks like Whitney has fallen out of favor with the Oil. Going to be a healthy scratch for the 3rd time in the last 5 games.

"I'm very frustrated, I want to play," Whitney said. "We got outshot 40-13 and I'm not playing so I think that kind of shows where their thought on me is."

Wonder if he could be heading out of Edmonton soon. $4 Million cap hit, last year of his contract. 6'3, 210lbs PP QB.

If there was anyone on the Oilers I'd want to explore a trade for it would be Linus Omark.

He would cost next to nothing as he's not even on their active roster, and he was fantastic on a line with Zetterberg and Brunner in Switzerland.

I don't know if Ryan Whitney is any good - I think the injuries have taken its toll and playing on the Oilers have made him a lot worse than he actually is. I don't think the Wings are in a position to take on another Quincey type 'hope' project, though.

I had this thought, too, when I saw that he had been scratched for a couple of games. He's struggling at the moment, but maybe just needs a change of scenery. How do the Wings and Oilers match up trade-wise, though?

with his foot injuries it just shows he cant be up to speed anymore. he lost his feeting and has zero speed. he's not good in his own zone but *used* to have one hell of an outlet pass. not sure why we would want someone with no speed (have enough dmen that don't have wheels) and no real breakout abilities anymore. personally id stay away from it.

He's slow and can't play defense in his own end according to people who have watched a lot of him. Take that for what it's worth. I think the grass sometimes just seems greener on the other side. Remember when Wings fans coveted Paul Martin and were ready to ship Flip or prospects for him? Most of the time if they're willing to send a player away it's for a good reason.

Wings don't need another project at this point. And besides, at this stage of his career, he's not a "project," he's just on the decline. Changes of scenery can help, but it doesn't always. As people have pointed out, there's just nothing left that he can do effectively. The Wings need some game changers, not just filler.

EDIT: I got him mixed up with Ray Whitney age-wise. So he's not old, but he's still not effective.

Guest Crymson

We need more scoring that's why.

And the team is going to get help in that from a fellow who has already proven that he can't cut it in the NHL?

I'll shadow what i've said about a lot of aging defensemen that have come up in discussion, for the right price, why not? Whitney has shown signs of being an assist machine, and our D is hurting. I wouldn't be opposed to trying, and it's better than spending too much for the likes of a D guy like Bouwmeester.

And the team is going to get help in that from a fellow who has already proven that he can't cut it in the NHL?

I'm pretty sure he can "cut it" in the nhl. Just cause he's had a few bad seasons doesn't mean he wouldn't do well on the wings, we have a habit of being able to rejuvenate careers