• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 cr00d

cr00d

old school

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Looks like Whitney has fallen out of favor with the Oil. Going to be a healthy scratch for the 3rd time in the last 5 games.

"I'm very frustrated, I want to play," Whitney said. "We got outshot 40-13 and I'm not playing so I think that kind of shows where their thought on me is."

Wonder if he could be heading out of Edmonton soon. $4 Million cap hit, last year of his contract. 6'3, 210lbs PP QB.

#2 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Whitney will be this year's Gaustad. Oliers will get a 1st and a 4th for him from some desperate GM looking to put his fringe market team onto a franchise-saving playoff run (that won't work - see Nashville, 2012).

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#3 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

If there was anyone on the Oilers I'd want to explore a trade for it would be Linus Omark.

He would cost next to nothing as he's not even on their active roster, and he was fantastic on a line with Zetterberg and Brunner in Switzerland.

#4 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

I don't know if Ryan Whitney is any good - I think the injuries have taken its toll and playing on the Oilers have made him a lot worse than he actually is.  I don't think the Wings are in a position to take on another Quincey type 'hope' project, though.

Moral victories are for losers.

#5 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

Before anyone else does it, I'm going to post (though sarcastically) that maybe they'll trade him to the Wings for Emmerton, Mursak, & a 5th. That said, I wouldn't be opposed to Kenny trying to make a deal for him, I just wonder what the Oil would ask.
  • Nev likes this

#6 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

I had this thought, too, when I saw that he had been scratched for a couple of games. He's struggling at the moment, but maybe just needs a change of scenery. How do the Wings and Oilers match up trade-wise, though?

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#7 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

with his foot injuries it just shows he cant be up to speed anymore. he lost his feeting and has zero speed. he's not good in his own zone but *used* to have one hell of an outlet pass. not sure why we would want someone with no speed (have enough dmen that don't have wheels) and no real breakout abilities anymore. personally id stay away from it.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#8 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

he can't skate at all. well, at this moment gill is faster than whitney

Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#9 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

He's slow and can't play defense in his own end according to people who have watched a lot of him. Take that for what it's worth. I think the grass sometimes just seems greener on the other side. Remember when Wings fans coveted Paul Martin and were ready to ship Flip or prospects for him? Most of the time if they're willing to send a player away it's for a good reason.

#10 Donohue75

Donohue75

Rookie

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Do we have room on the IR for him?  We already have Carlo Colaiacovo to fill that for most of the time. 

It's been a great honor for me to be a player for the Detroit Red Wings, to play for an Original Six franchise. I know I'm far from perfect, but I learned a lot.
Steve Yzerman

#11 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

We got enough puck movers. He can't play defence. I can see him going back to Pittsburgh at the deadline.

#NOMOREKINDL

#12 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Pasa

#13 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

No thanks.

#14 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

We already have Quincy so no thanks for me. I wasn't too high on him back when he was on the Penguins (helps playing with Crosby, Gonchar, Malkin) and he's a shell of that.

Edited by Number19, 12 February 2013 - 06:52 PM.

#15 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

Wings don't need another project at this point.  And besides, at this stage of his career, he's not a "project," he's just on the decline.  Changes of scenery can help, but it doesn't always.  As people have pointed out, there's just nothing left that he can do effectively.  The Wings need some game changers, not just filler.

EDIT:  I got him mixed up with Ray Whitney age-wise.  So he's not old, but he's still not effective.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#16 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

No thank you on Whitney.

#17 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

No thank you as well on Whitney but YES please on Omark

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#18 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

If there was anyone on the Oilers I'd want to explore a trade for it would be Linus Omark.

He would cost next to nothing as he's not even on their active roster, and he was fantastic on a line with Zetterberg and Brunner in Switzerland.

Cleary and Mursak for Omark and Jones.  :ok:

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#19 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Omark & Whitney for Quincey & Tatar

#20 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,937 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

No thank you as well on Whitney but YES please on Omark

Another soft, all offense, no defensestyle Euro -but why??
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate