• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 ltgator333

ltgator333

Combustion on Contact

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

I always go back to the trade that was suppose get a SC,the trade for Robert Lang.The propect went on to score 20goals a year and the draft pick wound up being Green(who we all know has made the all star team a couple of years).Lang was a wash!

- LT

#62 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

I always go back to the trade that was suppose get a SC,the trade for Robert Lang.The propect went on to score 20goals a year and the draft pick wound up being Green(who we all know has made the all star team a couple of years).Lang was a wash!

That's a pretty big stretch. Green and Fleischmann went on to become good players, but not until 3 years after the trade. They wouldn't have helped us at all the years Lang was here. They couldn't have helped in 08, since we won the Cup anyway. Not possible to do better than that. 09 is debatable, since we did as well as possible without winning a Cup. After that came the cap crunch, and we most likely lose both or lose other good players instead.

That trade was a good example of trading expendable future assets for help in the present.

#63 Petrafire

Petrafire

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

at the time of the trade for Lang he was leading the NHL in scoring everyone was in aww how cheap detroit got him needless to say he didnt work out and fleishman is a very good player as Green

#64 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

Franzen over Hossa will go down as Holland's biggest mistake. And it's not a "hindsight" is 20/20" thing, it was obvious his priority should have been Hossa.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#65 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Franzen over Hossa will go down as Holland's biggest mistake. And it's not a "hindsight" is 20/20" thing, it was obvious his priority should have been Hossa.

It wasn't just a matter of Hossa or Franzen...keeping Hossa would have also likely have meant not having someone else on the team...Hossa's cap hit is like 1.4 million more than Franzen's...who that would have been...who knows...Being a GM is easy sitting behind a keyboard...

#66 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

The biggest mistake the Wings have made is signing Jonathon Ericsson to that contract.  He sucks.  He sucks bad.  He takes bad penalties.  He makes horrible passes in the defensive zone.  He'd also never hurt a fly.

Ericsson sucks.  Joey Kocur and Stu Grimson would have made better defensemen.

#67 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Obviously not anymore...it is not as appealing to UFA's when you don't Have Lidstrom's, Shanahan's, Yzerman's or Hasek's on your team anymore...that was well apparent this off season. NOT ONE top UFA signed here. Not one. Used to be, everyone had Detroit on their short list...those days are gone.  Long gone.

There were only two free agents the Wings pursued this past offseason, and both signed with a team that have far less talent than the Wings solely because of having friends and family in the area.  I don't see how that indicates anything. The Wings were on the short list for both Parise and Suter.   Who does the Wild have that is enticing to a free agent?  In addition, the Wild are currently out of the playoff hunt, while the Red Wings are in it. 

#68 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Exactly. I hate the "hindsight" thing. A lot of us here wanted Hossa over Franzen at the time. Hossa was and still is a better player. For the deal Hossa signed with Chicago, it's not like the Red Wings couldn't have found a way to make that work compared to Franzen's. Holland chose the wrong guy.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#69 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

at the time of the trade for Lang he was leading the NHL in scoring everyone was in aww how cheap detroit got him needless to say he didnt work out and fleishman is a very good player as Green

Fedorov's fault. Turning down 50 mil, 5 yrs to go to the team that swept him. He felt he was bigger than the team.

bringit.jpg

#70 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

Exactly. I hate the "hindsight" thing. A lot of us here wanted Hossa over Franzen at the time. Hossa was and still is a better player. For the deal Hossa signed with Chicago, it's not like the Red Wings couldn't have found a way to make that work compared to Franzen's. Holland chose the wrong guy.

Better player, sure, but hardly impactful enough to call it a huge mistake. Goal production has been similar. Hossa has more assists, but also would have created a bigger cap problem in those first two years. Better defensively, yet he's been on the ice for a lot more goals against. Kills penalties, but Chicago's PK has been even worse than ours prior to this year. Their PP has been bad as well. They've finished behind us in the standings the past two years and lost twice in the first round.

They're playing great now, and look capable fo winning a Cup, but it's not because they have Hossa instead of Franzen. Over the life of their deals, Hossa will very likely produce more, but it's hard to quantify the impact of the extra cap hit. If we spend the next several years a couple million under the cap that choice will look worse, but if we spend to the cap who's to say.

#71 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

drafting Nik jnr in 2000 over Ilya Nikulin, sure Ilya hasnt come over but he got drafted by the Thrashers and lets face would you have signed for them  back then? We still had the Igor, Feds, and a young Pasha on the roster the year after Im sure he'd have been persuaded to come over on that roster

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#72 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

drafting Nik jnr in 2000 over Ilya Nikulin, sure Ilya hasnt come over but he got drafted by the Thrashers and lets face would you have signed for them  back then? We still had the Igor, Feds, and a young Pasha on the roster the year after Im sure he'd have been persuaded to come over on that roster

Id say this might not even be a mistake at all.

#73 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Nikulin's draft notes;

A large defensive defenseman with good physical game. Takes a lot of offensive
responsibility. Good on powerplay.

yeah your probably right Axe, doesnt sound like the sort of guy the Wings would have wanted !

on a side note Mozykin just signed a 6 year ext with his KHL side so we wont be seeing him here either.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#74 Serratoni

Serratoni

Rookie

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

My guess is Sammy was brought in to be a depth forward who can chip in 10-15 goals per year and can play the point on the PP.  How is it that this deal is already doomed to be a failure when he has only played one game? 

Every GM on every team in every sport has made what looks to be bad moves.  Its the nature of the business.  I think the Red Wings' success speaks for itself.  Deals that look like no brainers can be utter failures and deals that look totally ridiculous can turn out to look absolutely brilliant. 

I mean really, who thought trading for Jimmy Carson would be a bad move?  We rid ourselves of underacheiver Joe Murphy, aging malcontent Petr Klima and some nice kid, but destined to be career 4th liner Adam Graves.  We got a hometown kid who was a proven 50 goal scorer and still very young.  The Wings looked set for years to come.Well, we all know how that turned out.   It's soooo easy to make trades and moves on paper.

Some nice kid who won multiple Cups and scored over 50 goals one year. Snepsts is right. Painful indeed.

The biggest mistake the Wings have made is signing Jonathon Ericsson to that contract.  He sucks.  He sucks bad.  He takes bad penalties.  He makes horrible passes in the defensive zone.  He'd also never hurt a fly.

Ericsson sucks.  Joey Kocur and Stu Grimson would have made better defensemen.

You must not have watched many games this year.

#75 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

4 Stanley Cups in the last 15 years and here we are mulling over the Wings biggest mistakes.  Oh how spoiled we are.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#76 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Its only a discussion point.  No-one (apart from the usual suspects) is going "OMG! Holland suxors!"

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#77 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,064 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

- Drafting [x player] instead of [other player]

- Losing Scotty Bowman

- Not killing Max Talbot before Game 7

- Having no real post-Lidstrom transition plan

Etc.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#78 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Its only a discussion point.  No-one (apart from the usual suspects) is going "OMG! Holland suxors!"

A lot of people are questioning Holland's handling of the Wings right now.

#79 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

First, it's nice to at least find a Wings fan to acknowledge that Hossa is, in fact, a very good hockey player.  Many Wings fans I encounter go with the "Hossa sucks" angle due to sour grapes over '09 and a mercenary situation we all knew was likely to be a one-year deal going in.  

That being said, I'm not sure anyone can say with full credibility that the Wings "chose" Franzen in lieu of Hossa.  Franzen's knee problems and other nagging issues really didn't surface until after the contract was signed.  And Hossa was seriously damaged goods during after the '09 Playoffs.  Franzen's deal, even in retrospect, is very cap friendly for a player of his ability.  Comparable players on the open market routinely get cap hits for $5-$7 million.  

And that cap room may still yet pay off.  It didn't lead to Parise and Suter, but we were at least in a situation where money didn't prevent us from that type of move.

The "biggest mistake" question is harder with Detroit that most teams because we virtually never are in a draft position where you "expect" success from that pick.  The Ericsson deal looked dumb when it was signed, but he's been much better this year, and we'd be completely screwed without him.  I think dumping a late 1st rounder for Quincey (even if the 1st rounder had a 50/50 chance of ever being an NHL player) is the worst I can think of, given that he's been literally worse than replacement value since coming over last year.

#80 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

I get the feeling Hossa is busting is *ss out there on every shift, he is very fast and tenacious on the puck. He is stronger on the puck when he has it, and he makes things happen in the offensive zone that don't show in stats. I don't see that work ethic or hustle from Johan. I wish I did.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012