Update on realignment

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

Here is a new update on realignment by Pierre Lebrun

http://espn.go.com/b...nment-is-coming

Conference A 
Anaheim 
Calgary 
Colorado 
Edmonton 
Los Angeles 
Phoenix 
San Jose 
Vancouver 

Conference B 
Chicago 
Columbus 
Dallas 
Detroit 
Minnesota 
Nashville 
St. Louis 
Winnipeg 

Conference C 
Boston 
Buffalo 
Florida 
Montreal 
Ottawa 
Tampa Bay 
Toronto 

Conference D 
Carolina 
New Jersey 
New York Islanders 
New York Rangers 
Philadelphia 
Pittsburgh 
Washington 

Sorry I didn't include the new conferences in the original..here they are.

Edited by puckbags, 12 February 2013 - 07:45 PM.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#2 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Interesting.

#3 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

Id shift Nashville and Columbus East first. Then Id shift Calgary and Edmonton into Conference B. Then Id add Portland and Seattle to Conference A.

32 teams.

#4 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

These are the divisions that were proposed in late 2011.  Another ESPN article, just tweeted in the last hour, says there will be minor tweaks to that proposal, i.e. a few teams will be moved around.

#5 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Id shift Nashville and Columbus East first. Then Id shift Calgary and Edmonton into Conference B. Then Id add Portland and Seattle to Conference A.

32 teams.

I'm confused..those teams don't exist

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#6 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

Here's a map of the proposed alignment.  As joshy pointed out, this is the exact same as proposed in 2011.

photonw.png

For the record, I think there's some positives about the proposed realignment, and some negatives.  Less travel, especially in the playoffs would be a huge plus (would only have to travel as far as Dallas/Winnipeg for the first two rounds).  However, by default, this proposal is harder for the "western" teams, since they have 8 teams per "division" as opposed to the east, which only has 7.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#7 DyingAlive

DyingAlive

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

Yeah, this was the proposal that was rejected by the NHLPA. So I would expect changes. I am not really sure how the realignment goes from here.

The 4 conference system worked, but I just feel like having uneven conferences screws the teams that are in those conferences. Just like the MLB and their NL Central AL West scenario, it was stupid that the teams in the Central had a lesser chance of making the playoffs just because they were unfortunate in placement.

Posted Image

#8 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

Yeah, this was the proposal that was rejected by the NHLPA. So I would expect changes. I am not really sure how the realignment goes from here.

The 4 conference system worked, but I just feel like having uneven conferences screws the teams that are in those conferences. Just like the MLB and their NL Central AL West scenario, it was stupid that the teams in the Central had a lesser chance of making the playoffs just because they were unfortunate in placement.

As far as I know NHLPA did not reject last proposal based on its merits but because they were not consulted. It is unclear if players have any issue with the realignment.

#9 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

As far as I know NHLPA did not reject last proposal based on its merits but because they were not consulted. It is unclear if players have any issue with the realignment.

i think thats a valid point. i also feel like the players wanted to reject it just to show their strength going into the labor negotiations.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#10 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

The NHL has a real talent in overlooking the obvious:

PA rejected this proposal for good reasons and now they are comingf back with the exactly same one? Unbelievable.

Sent from my BlackBerry

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#11 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

Looks good, I think that the two Florida teams will not be in Conference C....That's just stupid, and I can't see any other reason to make tweaks other than that...and am I the only one that thinks Nashville is out of place in that conference?

#12 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

I don't like any situation at all where there are an unequal number of teams in divisions or conferences.  It's not fair and it should not be encouraged.  If they want four conferences they need to either add two teams or get rid of two. 

#13 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

I don't like any situation at all where there are an unequal number of teams in divisions or conferences.  It's not fair and it should not be encouraged.  If they want four conferences they need to either add two teams or get rid of two. 

Contract the yotes and 1 more. Stay at 28 teams. Expand the rosters to 25 so the union don't *****.

#14 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

Finally i would get to see another Wings game in Winnipeg. Only been like 17 years...

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#15 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

The uneven numbers just doesnt work.

Posted Image

#16 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:10 AM

The uneven numbers just doesnt work.

What about having a best-of-three Wild Card mini-playoff in the two smaller conferences that would determine the bottom seed?

#17 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

The NHL has a real talent in overlooking the obvious:

PA rejected this proposal for good reasons and now they are comingf back with the exactly same one? Unbelievable.

Sent from my BlackBerry

They're not making the same proposal. The article just gave the details of the previous one because it's believed the new one will be similar with a few tweaks.

#18 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,159 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

What about having a best-of-three Wild Card mini-playoff in the two smaller conferences that would determine the bottom seed?

well bettman does follow the tweets, and reads the blogs and fan sights... so, SUCK IT BETTMAN

#19 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

So why don't they do this.... divisions 1 + 2 that form 16 teams equal the "western conference", divisions 3 + 4 that form 14 teams equal the "eastern conference".... then, just equal it out and make the western and eastern sitting at 15 and 15. Trade a team closest, that wouldn't make the traveling outrageous and call it a day. Obviously it isn't that easy (or atleast, they... would've done it, right?!) but each "conference" currently has 15 and 15... sigh this just isn't my forte, i'll shut up.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#20 hockey&beer

hockey&beer

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

If I recall, one reason the NHLPA rejected the proposal was that they were not given ample time to research the travel aspect of the realignment. If that is the case, then there is ZERO chance this will fly.
"Matt Moulson... he would get more air time if he was Matt Labatt." Ken Daniels