34 replies to this topic

#1 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,564 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

Well, well, well.  Columbus is doing a little house cleaning.  Howson has been a pretty bad GM, there's really no doubt about that.  Replacing him can only be good for them, right?  Columbus has a little bit of talent, nothing great to build around, and the next GM is going to have a heckuva time rebuilding.  On the one hand, it could be fun, but on the other, the job would be so difficult starting from scratch, I don't envy whoever the replacement is.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#2 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

I hardly think the GM has been their problem; it's not a player destination.  Their payroll is the 26th lowest; if they want to be competitive, they're going to have to spend some more money.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#3 Jedi

Jedi

In this town of Halloween...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

"Paging Mr. Burke.  Mr. Brian Burke, please pick up the white courtesy phone."

Knew this had to happen sooner or later.  However, without being able to open up the coffers, I'm not sure how much difference it might make.

y4m8.png
"Come with us and you will see, this our town of Halloween..."

#4 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

I hope they hire Burke. Let them be even more trash.

• Nev likes this

#5 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

They are Detroits armpit.

#6 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

I figured the writing was on the wall for Howson last season when he tossed Nash under the bus after the trade deadline.

Me wonders if Davidson is clearing the way for Brian Burke....

#7 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

They are Detroits armpit.

Seriously?  Does it make you feel better about yourself to denigrate an entire team and/or city?  No, they're not an established hockey market, but with all the crap that's being thrown around about Detroit, I should think you'd be a little more circumspect in your commentary.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#8 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

If Davidson can somehow manage to get a quality GM in there, a la Burke, and maintain the core of this team, PLUS have 3 first round picks in the offseason, I can't imagine it will be an after thought for free agents much longer. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#9 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

I used to have some sympathy for the Jackets until there were reports coming out that said they wouldn't deal Nash to the Wings because they're in the same division. So f*** them.

Edited by irishock, 12 February 2013 - 09:59 PM.

bringit.jpg

#10 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Can we send them to Québec???
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#11 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

Seriously?  Does it make you feel better about yourself to denigrate an entire team and/or city?  No, they're not an established hockey market, but with all the crap that's being thrown around about Detroit, I should think you'd be a little more circumspect in your commentary.

Relax. I dont like em cuz theyre in our division. Just smack talk is all.

#12 PuckY18

PuckY18

Prospect

• 40 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

If Davidson can somehow manage to get a quality GM in there, a la Burke, and maintain the core of this team, PLUS have 3 first round picks in the offseason, I can't imagine it will be an after thought for free agents much longer. 

So, 1 1/2 phil kessel's

#13 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

This was sth everyone knew it would happen. Howson threw their only starplayer under the bus, traded for a player that did not want to be there. But like mentioned above Columbus has to open some money, if they want to be competitive.

Burke and Davidson in one organization? Hardly possible BB demands full autonomy and a "celebrity status" Columbus provides neither. I have a feeling he is waiting for a job within the Caps.

Wishing Howson allk the best and hopefully Burke has matured during the last weeks.

Sent from my BlackBerry

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#14 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

There was something on one of the rumor sites 2 weeks ago, yardbarker had it IIRC about davidson trying to move out more money. Umberger the main guy mentioned. he of the NTC. But maybe he would waive it for the wings? just a thought. be a great 2nd line LW. Good size, only 30, plays both end of the ice. Again, division blah blah, has 4 years left on his deal. But on the other hand 6-2/220 LW that can score 25 goals per year don't grow on trees either. Just a thought.

#15 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

Trading the franchise for spare parts (Rick Nash), overpaying for defensemen (Wiz) on free agency, trading for a young goal scorer that has made it clear he has no desire to play for you (Jeff Carter), having pretty much all of your highly rated draft picks do nothing, finishing near the bottom every year... I wonder which of these straws finally broke the camels back.  

#16 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

Howson wasn't working out, but he wasn't the problem.

Columbus' player development people all need to be fired as well.  Until that changes, nothing will improve with columbus.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#17 Jedi

Jedi

In this town of Halloween...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

Per LeBrun...

John Davidson makes it official: Jarmo Kekalainen is the new Jackets GM

y4m8.png
"Come with us and you will see, this our town of Halloween..."

#18 Franzine

Franzine

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

It's back to Whoville for Howson.

#19 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

Jarmo Kekäläinen is the first European GM in the NHL. 

1288333205435.jpg

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#20 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Jarmo Kekäläinen is the first European GM in the NHL. 

1288333205435.jpg

they couldn't find a harder name to pronounce?