• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
matt198913

Mule out tonight

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Blah blah same ol' justification I see every time someone wants to defend him. He scores so he's allowed to do whatever he wants. I'll take hard work and a little less skill over floating and a little more skill any day. The Nashville series was the entire Franzen argument in a nutshell-worse team beats the pants off of a super skilled team because they worked harder. We've "lost goals" before (a silly argument anyway) and survived. This sounds like a beaten wife defending her husband because after abusing her he buys her a nice necklace or something. Or because deep down he's a good guy. Whatever.

The production that makes him untouchable to some, is overrated anyway.

You mean you'll take hard work and less production, and that makes no sense whatsoever.

holy jesus did nyquist kill babs' dog or something? whats a guy gotta do to get a call up?

He needs someone to be sent down first, and there is no reason for that.

You mean you'll take hard work and less production, and that makes no sense whatsoever.

tumblr_m745v5EVMb1rpiuev.jpg

I'm not saying replace him with Joe Grinder who scores 3 a year. I'm saying a top 6 caliber guy who works harder but scores a little less would be more than welcome. Like I said look at the Nashville series. Look at plenty of teams around the league who rely on hard work and it's effective. Look at when we lose, we're almost always more skilled but won't move our asses. Now think about how often we lose when we're really moving our feet-hardly ever. Franzen's play can kill entire shifts. That negates his 25 or so goals a year, 15 of which are gifts from his hard working teammates. I can't remember the last time I even said "man that was Franzen who made that happen". It's always someone else and he cashes in.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

I love how this site believes they can judge work ethic better than professional scouts and coaches. Nobody in the the Detroit organization has ever hinted that Franzen is lazy. It's called playing a different style, and it's effective. I'll take Franzen on the ice over Flippula every night.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

I think these last two games are Cleary getting his last chances. He can't play effectively on a checking line anymore; if he can't score alongside very good players either, then he's useless.

surely you're not implying that he might actually get benched, are you?

that doesn't happen here.

Also Franzens passing is very underrated. He laid a couple gifts for Kronwall and he managed to fumble. The only thing is Franzen is a bit slow

Replace Flippula with Franzen on the PK and watch our numbers improve. Franzen couldn't do any right on this site if he won the hart trophy so who cares anyways

I love how this site believes they can judge work ethic better than professional scouts and coaches. Nobody in the the Detroit organization has ever hinted that Franzen is lazy. It's called playing a different style, and it's effective. I'll take Franzen on the ice over Flippula every night.

Uh huh. When do we hint anything about anyone? Read between the lines, Babcock's alluded to it many times. It's as simple as using your eyes.

And not having a blind love for the guy.

Uh huh. When do we hint anything about anyone? Read between the lines, Babcock's alluded to it many times. It's as simple as using your eyes.

And not having a blind love for the guy.

Blind love? The writings on the wall. He leads our team in goals every year. He's quite obviously one of our most important forwards.

It's called blind hate not love.

And no, I don't think Babcock has ever questioned his work ethic or intensity or he wouldn't be out on the ice when the games on the line

Same ol' same ol'. Leads in goals. Scores. Yadda yadda. Some can see past that smoke screen. Some can't.

And didn't Babcock demote him a couple lines when it got really strikingly obvious? For a team like ours that says something. But what's he going to do, bench him? That'll never happen, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't. The problem with a guy like him is that he's actually valuable (not just hollow "stat sheet" valuable) when he decides to try. But how long do you hold on to hope? It's not blind hate it's called knowing when a guy is literally giving half effort and pointing it out.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

Quit yammering on about Filppula, you seem to be the only one who has a problem with him, and it's getting quite annoying. He works hard every shift and is great defensively. I also love how your talking about how pro scouts no better than us, yet you keep bashing Flip, a bit hypocritical I would say. Babcock has never even HINTED about being less then what he expected.

FYI Babcock has mentioned several times in several interviews how he wishes Franzen would work hard every night and play to his potential, that being streaky doesn't help the team when they need it.

Quit yammering on about Filppula, you seem to be the only one who has a problem with him, and it's getting quite annoying. He works hard every shift and is great defensively. I also love how your talking about how pro scouts no better than us, yet you keep bashing Flip, a bit hypocritical I would say. Babcock has never even HINTED about being less then what he expected.

FYI Babcock has mentioned several times in several interviews how he wishes Franzen would work hard every night and play to his potential, that being streaky doesn't help the team when they need it.

Link?

You want me to go through a hundred post game interviews to find the one I'm talking about? I have a small amount of a life, so I will choose no on that

Well then I shall consider your argument invalid. The whole team is streaky not just a single player and I doubt Babcock would blame losses of the team on a single player because of his streakiness

You want me to go through a hundred post game interviews to find the one I'm talking about? I have a small amount of a life, so I will choose no on that

If it has happened several time in several interviews, wouldn't that be easy to find?

I don't think anyone is 100% happy with Mule. We all see the potential he has and how he doesn't reach that potential most nights. However, I don't see the hate for him without a viable replacement. That is, I would trade Mule ++ for Perry (assuming he would re-sign) or a top-3 D, but I don't think he should be scrached/given away/demoted unless his play decreases severely.

Well then I shall consider your argument invalid. The whole team is streaky not just a single player and I doubt Babcock would blame losses of the team on a single player because of his streakiness

He didn't say he blamed losses on him, and really I couldn't be bothered either. This isn't a contest. But I've definitely seen comments from Babcock hinting in that he'd like Franzen to work harder, in the usual Babcock way.

Zetterberg, Datsyuk, filppula, Brunner, Howard, Tootoo, hell even Emmerton have been consistent, and the rest have been pretty consistent for the most part, just consistently bad lol.

And just because you don't believe something to be true doesn't mean you need to act like a 12 year and be like, well if I didn't see it then it can't be real...

EDIT: sorry I missed one, so far this year Franzen has been consistent as well, and playing harder. (I was referring to comments from babs from last year though)

Edited by Euro_Twins

found one, per ansar khan @ mlive, quoting babs

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/11/red_wings_mike_babcock_wants_j.html

"Mule’s one of those guys that has to decide if he’s going to be a great player in the league or a good player in the league for a long, long time. If he wants to be a great player then you have to call on yourself every single night. The great players dig in every night."

found one, per ansar khan @ mlive, quoting babs

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/11/red_wings_mike_babcock_wants_j.html

"Mule’s one of those guys that has to decide if he’s going to be a great player in the league or a good player in the league for a long, long time. If he wants to be a great player then you have to call on yourself every single night. The great players dig in every night."

I'm sure this will be spun and some excuse will be made, sounding a lot like "that doesn't mean he's lazy that just means he's got to" I dunno "be a better goal scorer" or something. Along with irrelevant examples of great goal scorers going through slumps.

A good place to look for quotes if he's so curious would be around the time he was sent to the third line, that might yield something. You don't get demoted for slumps, and on this team a demotion like that speaks volumes.

He's working harder this year I'll give him that but it's still not that hard. I've still seen him get knocked down and lay on the ice for 4 or 5 seconds, or stand completely still watching a play go on around him. I've still seen him covered and refuse to really give it that necessary burst to get open.

I don't know why he gets compared to Flip so often. I see people saying they'd rather have Mule on the ice if we need a goal in the last minute instead of Flip. Sure, so would I but hockey isn't a last minute goal derby spread out over 60 minutes.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

surely you're not implying that he might actually get benched, are you?

that doesn't happen here.

that blown wide-open net sure was nice, cleary.

but we know he'll be back with zetterberg or datsyuk for another month, at least.

...and some great coverage on the PK leads to a goal against. cleary is on FIRE! sign him to an extension, now!

...2 on 1 on a shorthanded rush with datsyuk...cleary carries it himself and fires a pass into the defender's leg.

THE DAN CLEARY SHOW! I WANT MORE!

Edited by fat guy in a maltby jersey