• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#41 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Thread is about every dman EXCEPT Ian White. Ha!!!

#42 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Yeah ok, with 2 defenseman injured, let's sit White.

:clap:

You want an undersized Dman who can move the puck, bring up Almqvist.  At least he can make the first pass to not get hemmed in our own zone.  I haven't missed any of the Wings games this year so far and I have yet to see 1 game where White has made anything useful happen and he's given the puck away tons of times on errant crap passes that should have went to a wide open Wing on the breakout.  Sure Quincey and Cleary are complete utter garbage, but White isn't far off.

If we're passing blame, look at Brunner first. He completely goofed on the play at the blue line. I'll give him some slack he's not a defenseman and it's his first year but regardless that's what started the play. Fast forward to the 2 on 1, which really became a 2 on 2 when Abby got back and took the puck carrier. Kronwall's job was man to man on the guy without the puck. He took him. That went to pot fast when Abby got deked out of his skates. As soon as that happened it became a very condensed 2 on 1 with the puck carrer getting a clear lane to the net. Granted he falls but there's a split second after he dekes Abby and before he falls where he's on his feet and has a clear lane to the deadliest area of the slot. Kronwall had to abandon the pass to keep him from getting the shot off. If it were more of an angle I'd say take the pass but it was dead on, almost automatic goal territory. Kronwall prioritized pretty well, he was just screwed.

Look how far out Howard was, that a simple pass from the center to the faceoff dot leading to a slow one timer beat him. He had to be far out because of the chance that was forming after Abby fell.

In the end I'm glad he was the only one responsible enough to do his job. Brunner started it and Abby sent it off the rails. Kronwall ended up looking horrible for it.

Everyone sucked on that play, but there's few Wings players i'm definitely not gonna rag on and one of them is Brunner.  He's been a breath of fresh air to this team and without him our offence is even weaker and we're stuck with plan A...."no winnin' for McKinnon".  Z and Dats can only carry so much offensive load.  Our D as a whole on the other hand has been terrible.  Ericsson is the only one that I haven't seen play a bad game.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#43 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Erricsson has been great like I knew he would. Such a shame he's coming into his own while every other defensemen plays like pooh. Kronwall and Ericsson could be great together but Kronwall is still on vacation. He looks brain dead out there

#44 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

couldnt even believe his play on the shorty. always defend the damn pass dude. if he woulda blocked berglunds shot lane, never woulda been a goal as oshie was too busy falling flat on his face.

first lesson for every Dman.  Abs could have turned around and drilled Oshie has Kronwall covered Berglund properly who was on his off wing ready for the one-timer that ended up in the Wings net.  But s*** happens.  Unfortunately those are the kinds of lapses that always seem to end up in the net.  Time for Huskins to get back in the lineup cause the main thing we're lacking is real shutdown type Dmen.  You only need 1 puck mover per D pairing.  the other guy can be a bruiser who's defensively responsible so the offensive Dman can strut his stuff.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#45 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

Cost us the game against the Ducks, two bonehead plays that lead to two Ducks goals.  He's been lost without Lidstrom.

Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#46 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

Even Ian White's hockey stick doesn't like him anymore.

"Man can't trust his own stick, don't belong on ice"

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#47 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

I would take Huskins for sure over White right now. White is an offensive d-man, but he certainly isn't contributing to the PP. Huskins is an upgrade defensively and can kill penalties.

The Red Wings really need Smith back too. He makes White very expendable.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#48 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Ian White is Brian Rafalski without the offensive skill....

#49 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

Ian White is Brian Rafalski without the offensive skill....

Rafalski was better positionally on D as well which made him way less of a liability back there.  He could read plays on both ends.  Hockey sense is nice to have...

#50 wingslionstigers

wingslionstigers

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Sometimes I really wonder if the people on these forums actually watch the games? Which is why I don't ever hardly look here anymore. Seems like you guys are all wanna be hockey fans, just flick the game on and buy jerseys so you can be cool and have something to talk about.

Ian White is a turn over machine, not only does he turn the puck over but he does at the absolute worst spots and times. I can't even keep track of how many times past two years I have seen him turn the puck over in the defensive zone for no reason and resulted in a goal. No other player on the Wings roster does it as consistant as White. The guy is no good.

All you bitching about Big Rig, Really?? Now this guy has been solid, probably one of our best back there. I shouldn't even say that, you guys ***** about every single player right? Unless they get 100 points a season, don't go more than one game without points, are + 100.... Jesus christ you guys are a bunch of clowns.

Finally being forced to bring up our young guys is the best thing that has happened to this team in years. Just wait to see how it pays off for us over the next couple seasons.

#51 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Sometimes I really wonder if the people on these forums actually watch the games? Which is why I don't ever hardly look here anymore. Seems like you guys are all wanna be hockey fans, just flick the game on and buy jerseys so you can be cool and have something to talk about.

Ian White is a turn over machine, not only does he turn the puck over but he does at the absolute worst spots and times. I can't even keep track of how many times past two years I have seen him turn the puck over in the defensive zone for no reason and resulted in a goal. No other player on the Wings roster does it as consistant as White. The guy is no good.

All you bitching about Big Rig, Really?? Now this guy has been solid, probably one of our best back there. I shouldn't even say that, you guys ***** about every single player right? Unless they get 100 points a season, don't go more than one game without points, are + 100.... Jesus christ you guys are a bunch of clowns.

Finally being forced to bring up our young guys is the best thing that has happened to this team in years. Just wait to see how it pays off for us over the next couple seasons.

And that's exactly why i started this thread.  I've watched every Wings game this year now that I got Gamecenter and he's been a complete lugnut.  And Ericsson has been our best Dman game in and game out.  Those are the kinds of things you need to be able to "expect" from your best players, like Dats, Z and Helm. You know what they're going to bring you game in game out.  And for your last paragraph, Tatar and Andersson = hard working kids.  Great post.  You should come around more.

#52 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Let's go ahead and sit White. Play Samuelsson at the point when he comes back.

fml i just see Justin Williams written all over that

Posted Image

#53 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

agree 100 percent. I have started to come back and read cause some of the posts can be pretty funny at times. It seems to me that after each game or whatver peoples thoughst change lol. as for Ian White he his a decent offesive defencemen who can thrive in the right setting. White is nothin more then a depth defenceman and frankly with our defense he can not be a depth d man....... on a side note completey irevelent to this topic is Dan Cleary. I cant stand the guy. cant belive no one is talking about him, he could quite possibly be the worst player on this team. I cant fucllking stand him

edit_ sorrry for the poor grammer im really hung over

Edited by mjtm77, 16 February 2013 - 01:23 PM.

Posted Image

#54 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

I loved the White signing at first. I was always curious as to why the guy had bounced around so many different teams. I guess now we are starting to see why lol. He had a great 1st half of last year, and ever since has cooled off considerably.

#55 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

I think Huskins should be paired with Kronner. Kronner has played at his best when paired with a stay at home d-man (Stuart) This allows Kronner to jump up into the play and make some big hits. Kronwall looks lost without Stuart and Huskins is probably as close to his style as well have so pair them up. White does not seem to have chemistry with anyone at this point. The thought of Colo and him paired together sends chills up my spine. I have my doubts that Babs will scratch him though.

#56 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

White isn't any worse then the rest of our Defenseman. None of them are worth keeping maybe some of the young guys will get better but I would try to revamp our top four starters for sure. I have watch the Red Wings sense the early 70s and as bad as some of those teams were we have never had this bad of a defensive group
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#57 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

I just knew as soon as that stick broke, the people looking for reasons to hate him would blame him for the goal. 

#58 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

I just knew as soon as that stick broke, the people looking for reasons to hate him would blame him for the goal. 

Not that hard to find reasons to be displeased with White. Like the fourth goal against Anaheim or his inability to produce anything on the PP or offensively. I can overlook his defensive shortcomings more if he is contributing as an offensive d-man. However, he hasn't and has looked very bad since Lidstrom got hurt last season.

It seems like you have an affection with commentating about how other people should feel.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#59 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

Lazy/Sucks

#60 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

Not that hard to find reasons to be displeased with White. Like the fourth goal against Anaheim or his inability to produce anything on the PP or offensively. I can overlook his defensive shortcomings more if he is contributing as an offensive d-man. However, he hasn't and has looked very bad since Lidstrom got hurt last season.

It seems like you have an affection with commentating about how other people should feel.

Did I mention anything other than the broken stick goal?

Edited by shoobiedoobin, 17 February 2013 - 01:26 PM.