• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

Dan Cleary appreciation thread

Rate this topic

I'll say one thing that will most likely upset majority of you, but in reality, it makes the most sense. I'm not a Cleary lover by any stretch of imagination, nor do I think he's been playing unbelievable but when it comes down to it, Cleary is a better fit for the top 6 than Tatar is. Immediately, most of you will think i'm crazy but realize what one of our problems is, puck battles and coming out on top, keeping the forecheck going, and maintaining pressure down-low. Cleary will excel at this role, more than Tatar could, at this current time. Tatar would not be able to handle the size, nor experience of majority top 6 lines and top pairing defensemen, which would put him at a disadvantage. Cleary can hold traffic at the boards and compliments Pasha just because of that. He gives pasha what bert did, able to control the big bodies, work it down low, and get the puck back to Pasha to create space. I love Tatar, and I think he's flourished when given this opportunity, hell, I think we should keep him up with how well he's been playing for us, but I honestly don't forsee him giving top pairings a challenge within their own zone, not as much as Cleary can. The recent games, Cleary has been rolling like a work-horse and giving it his all. Does he score like he used to? No. Is the same player as he was? Absolutely not. We need to realize that we don't have the cleary back in the day, but he still can complete his role when needed. With injuries to Franzen ( :confused: ) and Bert, we need someone down in the top 6 that can help assist winning puck battles, and unfortunately, that's Cleary.

Tatar doesn't need to play in the corners because he'd be lighting it up with Dats in open ice. Tatar was noticeably better on the PP tonight than Cleary. Judging what Tatar can't do without him even getting a chance is retarded. And Cleary HAS to "win puck battles in the corner" because he can't hang onto it like a skilled Tatar could. Cleary should be down on the bottom lines where muck-work is more important.

esteef

I appreciate Dan for all that he's done prior to this year. He was a key cog in our 08 winning cup run and I'll never forget that series winning goal against the Ducks. But he's been absolutely worthless this year. I can't believe how poor he's been looking. I wish he was doing better but he isn't and needs to be benched. The most worrying thing to me is this is one of the few years where he's been healthy right? I guess the lockout did a number on him.

Making a thread mocking Cleary is pretty s***ty though I must say. I like everyone else agrees he is done but he has more than served this team well over the years.

I thought it was in bad taste but the last few games he's only been getting worse. I've always hated the notion that we hold on to our guys too long but this might apply here. It's ONE thing if he was playing 7 min a night on the 4th line but it's maddening that he's playing in the top 6 20 min a night. To be fair that isn't his fault. I did like his effort in the 3rd tonight and he got robbed on a chance.

Edited by Number19

This thread makes me sad, since Cleary is a shell of a man preciselybecause he's given so much for the team over the years. So lets remember the good times for a while, eh?

Oh man I jumped to my feet when that happened. What a ****ing hit. Also fighting Pronger to almost a draw. Cleary was a warrior.

Bad quality but I'd rather not listen to the Ducks announcers. Sure he's wearing a visor and turtles but Pronger is a truck and that took guts.

Edited by Number19

I still really like Cleary but certainly not with Pavs. He's a great 3rd liner when things are going well.

Unfortunately right now he's too weak on the puck and his decision making with the puck is way too slow.

It's almost like his stick is too short when I watch him.

I still really like Cleary but certainly not with Pavs. He's a great 3rd liner when things are going well.

Unfortunately right now he's too weak on the puck and his decision making with the puck is way too slow.

It's almost like his stick is too short when I watch him.

Cleary is pretyy close to a waste of an opportunity for a younger player right now. Ultimately, if this was a video game, Andersson would have his spot and Cleary would be gone. Thats not how the Wings work tho, rightly and wrongly. It would be nice to ship him off tho.

What a merciless beating of Cleary. I don't think I've seen a player take it like this before on this forum before, pretty funny in a way for sure but pretty harsh. People must forget what Cleary actually was and not what he was supposed to be. He was a key piece for a couple of years around and including the 08 run, topped 40 points twice maybe? Scored himself a fair contract. I'd still trust him more in key situations than some other players, what did people expect from a mid 30's third liner. If it weren't for the injuries of Franzen and Bert he wouldn't even get a look to be in the top 6. Come on folks bash somebody who is actually supposed to be a "great" player, justify it.

Guest The Axe

What a merciless beating of Cleary. I don't think I've seen a player take it like this before on this forum before, pretty funny in a way for sure but pretty harsh. People must forget what Cleary actually was and not what he was supposed to be. He was a key piece for a couple of years around and including the 08 run, topped 40 points twice maybe? Scored himself a fair contract. I'd still trust him more in key situations than some other players, what did people expect from a mid 30's third liner. If it weren't for the injuries of Franzen and Bert he wouldn't even get a look to be in the top 6. Come on folks bash somebody who is actually supposed to be a "great" player, justify it.

This is a good point, but for some reason, you cant bash the man who is truly responsible. Ken Holland signs injury prone guys and old players, but then we sit here and wonder why Cleary is in the top 6 right now? I dont.

2008 was quite a while ago now. He used to be a good point contributor, but he can't stickhandle or hold on to the puck at all. Tatar can, and that's who should be on the 2nd line with Dats. Andersson should go with him and Cleary and Abs can move back to the bottom 6.

He's topped 40 points 4 times for the Wings and 30 points twice and been a very solid player for the Wings for most of his time here.

Though Cleary has looked surprisingly slow this year, like the physical way he plays the game has caught up with him or he has a nagging injury or something. But even for LGW, the bashing has reached ridiculous levels.

When Sammy and Franzen return to the lineup that should spread the bashing around slightly.

This thread's gotten ridiculous. When we choose to hate a player, he has no chance. He'll have to perform at an MVP level to shift the hate to someone else.

What the mods here either refuse to acknowledge or don't realize is these attitudes always grow from the same few doom and gloom depression cases. And we all know who they are. We're concerned about filtering curse words but we allow obvious trolling and non-stop doomspeak stupidity? I'm less annoyed by a few four letter words than I am the trolls saying every single thing we ever do sucks in every possible way.

This forum could be raised quite a few notches with the removal of a certain couple people. Let them go fester with the other idiots on RWC.