• This topic is locked This topic is locked
93 replies to this topic

#41 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

It's probably because Cleary was promoted to the top line, Haha.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#42 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

It's probably because Cleary was promoted to the top line, Haha.

BINGO! 

According to Khan for today's practice, Cleary has been moved up to the first line and is playing the "net front presence" on the first PP unit.

about time, the guy deserves it.  playing his heart out, leaving it all on the ice!  what a hero.

THE DAN CLEARY SHOW!

#43 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

lol

Posted Image

#44 fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

just picked this up from the library...an incredible inspirational story.

#45 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 823 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Dan Cleary is the Damn Cleary Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#46 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

dan_cleary-x-large.jpg

Guy is a f'n superstar

:notworthy:  :notworthy: :notworthy: 

Edited by irishock, 19 February 2013 - 11:35 PM.

bringit.jpg

#47 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

I could score with Pavel

#48 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

I'll say one thing that will most likely upset majority of you, but in reality, it makes the most sense. I'm not a Cleary lover by any stretch of imagination, nor do I think he's been playing unbelievable but when it comes down to it, Cleary is a better fit for the top 6 than Tatar is. Immediately, most of you will think i'm crazy but realize what one of our problems is, puck battles and coming out on top, keeping the forecheck going, and maintaining pressure down-low. Cleary will excel at this role, more than Tatar could, at this current time. Tatar would not be able to handle the size, nor experience of majority top 6 lines and top pairing defensemen, which would put him at a disadvantage. Cleary can hold traffic at the boards and compliments Pasha just because of that. He gives pasha what bert did, able to control the big bodies, work it down low, and get the puck back to Pasha to create space. I love Tatar, and I think he's flourished when given this opportunity, hell, I think we should keep him up with how well he's been playing for us, but I honestly don't forsee him giving top pairings a challenge within their own zone, not as much as Cleary can. The recent games, Cleary has been rolling like a work-horse and giving it his all. Does he score like he used to? No. Is the same player as he was? Absolutely not. We need to realize that we don't have the cleary back in the day, but he still can complete his role when needed. With injuries to Franzen ( :confused: ) and Bert, we need someone down in the top 6 that can help assist winning puck battles, and unfortunately, that's Cleary. 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#49 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

I'll say one thing that will most likely upset majority of you, but in reality, it makes the most sense. I'm not a Cleary lover by any stretch of imagination, nor do I think he's been playing unbelievable but when it comes down to it, Cleary is a better fit for the top 6 than Tatar is. Immediately, most of you will think i'm crazy but realize what one of our problems is, puck battles and coming out on top, keeping the forecheck going, and maintaining pressure down-low. Cleary will excel at this role, more than Tatar could, at this current time. Tatar would not be able to handle the size, nor experience of majority top 6 lines and top pairing defensemen, which would put him at a disadvantage. Cleary can hold traffic at the boards and compliments Pasha just because of that. He gives pasha what bert did, able to control the big bodies, work it down low, and get the puck back to Pasha to create space. I love Tatar, and I think he's flourished when given this opportunity, hell, I think we should keep him up with how well he's been playing for us, but I honestly don't forsee him giving top pairings a challenge within their own zone, not as much as Cleary can. The recent games, Cleary has been rolling like a work-horse and giving it his all. Does he score like he used to? No. Is the same player as he was? Absolutely not. We need to realize that we don't have the cleary back in the day, but he still can complete his role when needed. With injuries to Franzen ( :confused: ) and Bert, we need someone down in the top 6 that can help assist winning puck battles, and unfortunately, that's Cleary. 

Well said, but that is entirely too much reason and rationale for LGW.  Where is your rage and snark?

That being said, if it were to be done, we should trade him now.  For the month of Feb. he's got G: 2 A: 1 Pts: 3 +/-: -1. PIM: 6

He's obviously warming up, so we should do away with him immediately.  While he's hot.  :ph34r:

• DSM likes this
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#50 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:22 AM

This thread makes me sad, since Cleary is a shell of a man preciselybecause he's given so much for the team over the years.  So lets remember the good times for a while, eh?

Edited by Nev, 21 February 2013 - 04:23 AM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#51 fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

#52 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

^Maybe one of those is funny. Kinda. 

Eh not really. They seem forced. 

#53 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

Tatar doesn't need to play in the corners because he'd be lighting it up with Dats in open ice.  Tatar was noticeably better on the PP tonight than Cleary.  Judging what Tatar can't do without him even getting a chance is retarded.  And Cleary HAS to "win puck battles in the corner" because he can't hang onto it like a skilled Tatar could.  Cleary should be down on the bottom lines where muck-work is more important.

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#54 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

I appreciate Dan for all that he's done prior to this year. He was a key cog in our 08 winning cup run and I'll never forget that series winning goal against the Ducks. But he's been absolutely worthless this year. I can't believe how poor he's been looking. I wish he was doing better but he isn't and needs to be benched. The most worrying thing to me is this is one of the few years where he's been healthy right? I guess the lockout did a number on him.

Making a thread mocking Cleary is pretty s***ty though I must say.  I like everyone else agrees he is done but he has more than served this team well over the years.

I thought it was in bad taste but the last few games he's only been getting worse. I've always hated the notion that we hold on to our guys too long but this might apply here. It's ONE thing if he was playing 7 min a night on the 4th line but it's maddening that he's playing in the top 6 20 min a night. To be fair that isn't his fault. I did like his effort in the 3rd tonight and he got robbed on a chance.

Edited by Number19, 21 February 2013 - 11:27 PM.

#55 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

BBLjHL_CIAA_G9W.jpg

sums up Cleary's season

bringit.jpg

#56 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

lol

#57 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

You're all being way too harsh on Cleary. He's done a lot of good things this season, such as: 

#58 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

You're all being way too harsh on Cleary. He's done a lot of good things this season, such as: 

ya good point but you forgot to mention a few key things he's excelled in;

5. :confused1:

#59 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:21 AM

This thread makes me sad, since Cleary is a shell of a man preciselybecause he's given so much for the team over the years.  So lets remember the good times for a while, eh?

Oh man I jumped to my feet when that happened. What a ****ing hit. Also fighting Pronger to almost a draw. Cleary was a warrior.

Bad quality but I'd rather not listen to the Ducks announcers. Sure he's wearing a visor and turtles but Pronger is a truck and that took guts.

Edited by Number19, 22 February 2013 - 01:29 AM.

• Nev likes this

#60 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

Off-topic and this fight is nothing special but man I miss these days. Avs, Wings, Afternoon, ABC. Was always a war. Gotta love Clement here.