• This topic is locked This topic is locked
93 replies to this topic

#61 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#62 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

Prbly one of my top Clearly moments... Man the Joe was ridiculous!

#63 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

They should have wavied Cleary instead, it would have been win-win.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#64 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

Cleary sucks, he should be sent to the minors.

#65 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

i wonder if he will play with pavs again tonight! ?

#66 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

i wonder if he will play with pavs again tonight! ?

I sure as hell hope not, Cleary is so bad he makes Dats look human.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#67 DRW Dominance

DRW Dominance

Yzerman=God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

I still really like Cleary but certainly not with Pavs.  He's a great 3rd liner when things are going well.

Unfortunately right now he's too weak on the puck and his decision making with the puck is way too slow.

It's almost like his stick is too short when I watch him.

naked is a state of mind

#68 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

I still really like Cleary but certainly not with Pavs.  He's a great 3rd liner when things are going well.

Unfortunately right now he's too weak on the puck and his decision making with the puck is way too slow.

It's almost like his stick is too short when I watch him.

Cleary is pretyy close to a waste of an opportunity for a younger player right now. Ultimately, if this was a video game, Andersson would have his spot and Cleary would be gone. Thats not how the Wings work tho, rightly and wrongly. It would be nice to ship him off tho.

#69 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

he almost has as many penalty minutes in 17 games (24pim) as he normally gets in a full season. Great job screwing the team over in yet another great aspect of your play danny boy!

#70 greene709

greene709

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

What a merciless beating of Cleary. I don't think I've seen a player take it like this before on this forum before, pretty funny in a way for sure but pretty harsh. People must forget what Cleary actually was and not what he was supposed to be. He was a key piece for a couple of years around and including the 08 run, topped 40 points twice maybe? Scored himself a fair contract. I'd still trust him more in key situations than some other players, what did people expect from a mid 30's third liner. If it weren't for the injuries of Franzen and Bert he wouldn't even get a look to be in the top 6. Come on folks bash somebody who is actually supposed to be a "great" player, justify it.

#71 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

What a merciless beating of Cleary. I don't think I've seen a player take it like this before on this forum before, pretty funny in a way for sure but pretty harsh. People must forget what Cleary actually was and not what he was supposed to be. He was a key piece for a couple of years around and including the 08 run, topped 40 points twice maybe? Scored himself a fair contract. I'd still trust him more in key situations than some other players, what did people expect from a mid 30's third liner. If it weren't for the injuries of Franzen and Bert he wouldn't even get a look to be in the top 6. Come on folks bash somebody who is actually supposed to be a "great" player, justify it.

This is a good point, but for some reason, you cant bash the man who is truly responsible. Ken Holland signs injury prone guys and old players, but then we sit here and wonder why Cleary is in the top 6 right now? I dont.

#72 Franzine

Franzine

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

^Maybe one of those is funny. Kinda. 

Eh not really. They seem forced. 

A lot of people disagree with you.

#73 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

2008 was quite a while ago now.  He used to be a good point contributor, but he can't stickhandle or hold on to the puck at all.  Tatar can, and that's who should be on the 2nd line with Dats.  Andersson should go with him and Cleary and Abs can move back to the bottom 6.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#74 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

He's topped 40 points 4 times for the Wings and 30 points twice and been a very solid player for the Wings for most of his time here.   

Though Cleary has looked surprisingly slow this year, like the physical way he plays the game has caught up with him or he has a nagging injury or something.  But even for LGW, the bashing has reached ridiculous levels. 

When Sammy and Franzen return to the lineup that should spread the bashing around slightly.  

#75 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

This thread's gotten ridiculous. When we choose to hate a player, he has no chance. He'll have to perform at an MVP level to shift the hate to someone else. 

What the mods here either refuse to acknowledge or don't realize is these attitudes always grow from the same few doom and gloom depression cases. And we all know who they are. We're concerned about filtering curse words but we allow obvious trolling and non-stop doomspeak stupidity? I'm less annoyed by a few four letter words than I am the trolls saying every single thing we ever do sucks in every possible way. 

This forum could be raised quite a few notches with the removal of a certain couple people. Let them go fester with the other idiots on RWC. 

#76 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

This thread's gotten ridiculous. When we choose to hate a player, he has no chance. He'll have to perform at an MVP level to shift the hate to someone else. 

What the mods here either refuse to acknowledge or don't realize is these attitudes always grow from the same few doom and gloom depression cases. And we all know who they are. We're concerned about filtering curse words but we allow obvious trolling and non-stop doomspeak stupidity? I'm less annoyed by a few four letter words than I am the trolls saying every single thing we ever do sucks in every possible way. 

This forum could be raised quite a few notches with the removal of a certain couple people. Let them go fester with the other idiots on RWC. 

The mods here prefer that people act like grown ups and realize that the site is only as good as the content people post.  The forum is completely user generated content, so if someone thinks the forum sucks, they can focus on generating better content. 

I am as tired as anyone of the bashing here, but much of it is technically within forum rules.  We prefer to moderate in a more relaxed style than to police every thread and go by the letter of the rules.  If we did that for example, your post would be off topic and derailing the thread and you would be warned or suspended depending on your history.  And someone can genuinely have a critical or unpopular opinion without it necessarily being trolling.  Policing opinions that way would do more harm than good.

So some people here will post for a while in that grey area.  Annoying as it may be in the short term, eventually they usually either fall into trolling and are dealt with or they start to post more productively as they get over whatever it is that upset them.  In the meantime if they bother you that much there's the ignore function so you won't have to read their posts. 

#77 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Except Cleary actually does suck right now!

I don't really think its out of line for that to be voiced no matter who it is coming from.

PS.. Anybody is more than welcome to skip over a discussion they don't like. Nobody is forcing you to read these peoples opinions.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#78 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

I am glad he is playing better and seems to have found a bit of his game.  Unfortunately there is no room on this team for him next season. BUT as well all know, Holland keeps his vet's until they retire (no matter how their game has dropped (Draper, Maltby)) so I fully expect Cleary to be re-signed and one of our kids being stuck in GR again to rot away. Also takes a roster spot away from possibly signing a real scorer in the off season. Thanks for the time Cleary, but it's time to go.  Andersson and Tatar are ready to be here 100% and I'd still love to have someone like Perry on this team.  I would sacrifice Cleary for any of those players to be here...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#79 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Except Cleary actually does suck right now!

I don't really think its out of line for that to be voiced no matter who it is coming from.

PS.. Anybody is more than welcome to skip over a discussion they don't like. Nobody is forcing you to read these peoples opinions.

Agreed.  

I responded to the post but don't want to further derail the thread into a discussion of moderating policy. 

From here on out let's get back on the topic of Cleary.  If someone wants to start a thread in the water cooler regarding forum rules or moderating, they're welcome to.

#80 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

Cleary is handsome.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."