• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
clutchngrab

Babcock: Is he the right guy going forward?

Rate this topic

I just wish we could of kept the same lineup we played against Nashville. The team played desperate in that game and once again Babs changed it. I honestly have never seen a team in a playoff hunt change their lineup so much!

I just wish we could of kept the same lineup we played against Nashville. The team played desperate in that game and once again Babs changed it. I honestly have never seen a team in a playoff hunt change their lineup so much!

From the Ottawa Sun - Sunday April 21, 2013:

Whispers out of St. Louis have players frustrated with the antics of coach Ken Hitchcock. It seems Hitchcock has the ear of players wherever he goes in the short term, but his constant picking apart and calling them out has gotten old. The team has performed far below expectations and is struggling to hang on to a playoff spot. Many league executives believe a quick exit could lead to changes for a team that is operating on a shoestring budget where ownership is counting on a deep playoff run to minimize losses.

And we complain about Babs not calling the team out.

Its true though, you can only constantly rip players to shreds for so long before you either entirely destroy their confidence, or they tune you out.

Its why coaches like Hitchcock and Tortarella are great short term, but not so great long term.

Guest DeGraa55

Its true though, you can only constantly rip players to shreds for so long before you either entirely destroy their confidence, or they tune you out.

Its why coaches like Hitchcock and Tortarella are great short term, but not so great long term.

I agree some guys need it some don't. If you look at our team guys like z DAT Howard even dekeyser and a few others don't need it. While guys like kronwall and franzen do.

I agree some guys need it some don't. If you look at our team guys like z DAT Howard even dekeyser and a few others don't need it. While guys like kronwall and franzen do.

It has nothing to do with how a player is currently playing or anything revolving around playing style. As a coach, you need to understand your players. Like any leadership position, you need to know your troops/players. You need to know their individual characteristics and personality. Do they need to get that intense criticism to respond, or do they need some guidance? Some players fold under that pressure, some excel. Coaching is a lot harder than just putting together some lines and telling them to go out there at the right time.

Many coaches read numerous psychology books just strictly because of this reason. They want to learn the different learning styles, the different styles of respond. They need to understand personalities to know how to encourage/discourage.

Guest DeGraa55

It has nothing to do with how a player is currently playing or anything revolving around playing style. As a coach, you need to understand your players. Like any leadership position, you need to know your troops/players. You need to know their individual characteristics and personality. Do they need to get that intense criticism to respond, or do they need some guidance? Some players fold under that pressure, some excel. Coaching is a lot harder than just putting together some lines and telling them to go out there at the right time. Many coaches read numerous psychology books just strictly because of this reason. They want to learn the different learning styles, the different styles of respond. They need to understand personalities to know how to encourage/discourage.

Thanks for saying what I said just using many more words. U described it I gave examples.

Thanks for saying what I said just using many more words. U described it I gave examples.

You have no idea if DeKeyser, Hank, Pavel, and Howard respond to one style of coaching. You also don't know if Kronner and Franzen need another. So no, you weren't saying what I was trying to say. I was correcting your statement, as it seems to be more aimed towards the person's current play rather than personality.

Guest DeGraa55

You have no idea if DeKeyser, Hank, Pavel, and Howard respond to one style of coaching. You also don't know if Kronner and Franzen need another. So no, you weren't saying what I was trying to say. I was correcting your statement, as it seems to be more aimed towards the person's current play rather than personality.

Play reflects personality. Someone like franzen slacks off. Ie needs a kick in ass. Dat and z bring it every night that y they don't. Watch a game you might learn something.

But I will give you this...dekeyser is a complete guess on my part. The others not so much.

Edited by DeGraa55

Guest Crymson

From the Ottawa Sun - Sunday April 21, 2013:

Whispers out of St. Louis have players frustrated with the antics of coach Ken Hitchcock. It seems Hitchcock has the ear of players wherever he goes in the short term, but his constant picking apart and calling them out has gotten old. The team has performed far below expectations and is struggling to hang on to a playoff spot. Many league executives believe a quick exit could lead to changes for a team that is operating on a shoestring budget where ownership is counting on a deep playoff run to minimize losses.

And we complain about Babs not calling the team out.

Yep. Hitchcock is notorious for being an unsustainable coach. Eventually his players tune him out, and it's downhill from there.

Makes ya wonder if a guy like Scotty Bowman could begin a coaching career in todays NHL?

It's fair to ask that question. I would argue that Scotty has such a great mind for hockey that players will be more willing to buy into his system whether they like him or not. When players didn't do what Scotty wanted they would often get traded.

Play reflects personality. Someone like franzen slacks off. Ie needs a kick in ass. Dat and z bring it every night that y they don't. Watch a game you might learn something.

But I will give you this...dekeyser is a complete guess on my part. The others not so much.

That's not a true statement. Play can resemble and showcase work ethic, but it certainly can't define personality. Work ethic is a personality trait, although, not the only one.

Guest DeGraa55

That's not a true statement. Play can resemble and showcase work ethic, but it certainly can't define personality. Work ethic is a personality trait, although, not the only one.

True there's other things to take into account. Like guys that have off the ice issues like a Patrick Kane I believe also need a guy to get in their ass.

But with us when we have had guys like a lids DAT z I'd bet they didn't need that. They needed a "players coach".

This is all opinion of course but IIm pretty sure its right.

No, no it doesn't. I'm guessing you've never read many sports autobiographies? Or at least the good ones, not the by-the-numbers ghostwritten ones. Because if you had, you would know what a complete fallacy this is. You'd learn about the swashbuckling, fearless player who was a terrified crybaby in the dressing room. You'd learn about the player who had ice in his veins when the game was on the line, but would be so nervous before every game he'd be throwing up. The dressing room bully who would hide out on the pitch ("don't pass that bloody white thing to me" syndrome). The innocent patsy whose career the coach destroys to make a point to the rest of the team.

I can think of countless examples in all sports the buck the trend. Babcock, with his sports pyschology background understands this. Tough guys like Tortarella and Keenan don't.