Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Babcock: Is he the right guy going forward?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#101 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

Babcock's system is to give players ice time based on nostalgia.  Dan Cleary was horrible tonight yet the coach kept him coming,  Wow!  

Edited by clutchngrab, 18 April 2013 - 01:34 AM.

Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#102 jthiel86

jthiel86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:38 AM

At one point Cleary was demoted for Brunner tonight.

#103 loutswings

loutswings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:11 AM

I just wish we could of kept the same lineup we played against Nashville. The team played desperate in that game and once again Babs changed it. I honestly have never seen a team in a playoff hunt change their lineup so much!

#104 loutswings

loutswings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:11 AM

I just wish we could of kept the same lineup we played against Nashville. The team played desperate in that game and once again Babs changed it. I honestly have never seen a team in a playoff hunt change their lineup so much!

#105 Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

From the Ottawa Sun - Sunday April 21, 2013:

Whispers out of St. Louis have players frustrated with the antics of coach Ken Hitchcock. It seems Hitchcock has the ear of players wherever he goes in the short term, but his constant picking apart and calling them out has gotten old. The team has performed far below expectations and is struggling to hang on to a playoff spot. Many league executives believe a quick exit could lead to changes for a team that is operating on a shoestring budget where ownership is counting on a deep playoff run to minimize losses.

And we complain about Babs not calling the team out.

#106 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

Its true though, you can only constantly rip players to shreds for so long before you either entirely destroy their confidence, or they tune you out.

Its why coaches like Hitchcock and Tortarella are great short term, but not so great long term.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#107 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

Its true though, you can only constantly rip players to shreds for so long before you either entirely destroy their confidence, or they tune you out.

Its why coaches like Hitchcock and Tortarella are great short term, but not so great long term.

I agree some guys need it some don't. If you look at our team guys like z DAT Howard even dekeyser and a few others don't need it. While guys like kronwall and franzen do.

#108 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

I agree some guys need it some don't. If you look at our team guys like z DAT Howard even dekeyser and a few others don't need it. While guys like kronwall and franzen do.

It has nothing to do with how a player is currently playing or anything revolving around playing style. As a coach, you need to understand your players. Like any leadership position, you need to know your troops/players. You need to know their individual characteristics and personality. Do they need to get that intense criticism to respond, or do they need some guidance? Some players fold under that pressure, some excel. Coaching is a lot harder than just putting together some lines and telling them to go out there at the right time. 

Many coaches read numerous psychology books just strictly because of this reason. They want to learn the different learning styles, the different styles of respond. They need to understand personalities to know how to encourage/discourage.

• Nev likes this

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#109 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

It has nothing to do with how a player is currently playing or anything revolving around playing style. As a coach, you need to understand your players. Like any leadership position, you need to know your troops/players. You need to know their individual characteristics and personality. Do they need to get that intense criticism to respond, or do they need some guidance? Some players fold under that pressure, some excel. Coaching is a lot harder than just putting together some lines and telling them to go out there at the right time. Many coaches read numerous psychology books just strictly because of this reason. They want to learn the different learning styles, the different styles of respond. They need to understand personalities to know how to encourage/discourage.

Thanks for saying what I said just using many more words. U described it I gave examples.

#110 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for saying what I said just using many more words. U described it I gave examples.

You have no idea if DeKeyser, Hank, Pavel, and Howard respond to one style of coaching. You also don't know if Kronner and Franzen need another. So no, you weren't saying what I was trying to say. I was correcting your statement, as it seems to be more aimed towards the person's current play rather than personality. 

• Nev likes this

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

#111 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

You have no idea if DeKeyser, Hank, Pavel, and Howard respond to one style of coaching. You also don't know if Kronner and Franzen need another. So no, you weren't saying what I was trying to say. I was correcting your statement, as it seems to be more aimed towards the person's current play rather than personality.

Play reflects personality. Someone like franzen slacks off. Ie needs a kick in ass. Dat and z bring it every night that y they don't. Watch a game you might learn something.

But I will give you this...dekeyser is a complete guess on my part. The others not so much.

Edited by DeGraa55, 21 April 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#112 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

From the Ottawa Sun - Sunday April 21, 2013:

Whispers out of St. Louis have players frustrated with the antics of coach Ken Hitchcock. It seems Hitchcock has the ear of players wherever he goes in the short term, but his constant picking apart and calling them out has gotten old. The team has performed far below expectations and is struggling to hang on to a playoff spot. Many league executives believe a quick exit could lead to changes for a team that is operating on a shoestring budget where ownership is counting on a deep playoff run to minimize losses.

And we complain about Babs not calling the team out.

Yep. Hitchcock is notorious for being an unsustainable coach. Eventually his players tune him out, and it's downhill from there.

#113 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

Yep. Hitchcock is notorious for being an unsustainable coach. Eventually his players tune him out, and it's downhill from there.

Makes ya wonder if a guy like Scotty Bowman could begin a coaching career in todays NHL?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#114 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

Makes ya wonder if a guy like Scotty Bowman could begin a coaching career in todays NHL?

It's fair to ask that question. I would argue that Scotty has such a great mind for hockey that players will be more willing to buy into his system whether they like him or not. When players didn't do what Scotty wanted they would often get traded.

#115 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

The REAL question is:

Holland: Is he the right guy going forward?         

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#116 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

Babcock needed to coach this year. He stunk it up.

#117 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

The REAL question is:

Holland: Is he the right guy going forward?         

Good question...

When he keeps bringing back used parts (Bert/Sammy/Quincey) it makes ya wonder if he's too afraid to make a "mistake", and go outside his comfort zone?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#118 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

Play reflects personality. Someone like franzen slacks off. Ie needs a kick in ass. Dat and z bring it every night that y they don't. Watch a game you might learn something.

But I will give you this...dekeyser is a complete guess on my part. The others not so much.

That's not a true statement. Play can resemble and showcase work ethic, but it certainly can't define personality. Work ethic is a personality trait, although, not the only one. 

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

#119 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

That's not a true statement. Play can resemble and showcase work ethic, but it certainly can't define personality. Work ethic is a personality trait, although, not the only one.

True there's other things to take into account. Like guys that have off the ice issues like a Patrick Kane I believe also need a guy to get in their ass.

But with us when we have had guys like a lids DAT z I'd bet they didn't need that. They needed a "players coach".

This is all opinion of course but IIm pretty sure its right.

#120 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:51 AM

Sadly, there aren't many player coaches anymore but IF Babs is getting replaced I'd want disco Dan Bylsma or Scotty.

I still think Babs is the best coach just sometimes way too hard on the young guns.

Sent from my BlackBerry

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..