Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Babcock: Is he the right guy going forward?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#121 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

Play reflects personality. Someone like franzen slacks off. Ie needs a kick in ass. Dat and z bring it every night that y they don't. Watch a game you might learn something.

No, no it doesn't.  I'm guessing you've never read many sports autobiographies?  Or at least the good ones, not the by-the-numbers ghostwritten ones.  Because if you had, you would know what a complete fallacy this is.  You'd learn about the swashbuckling, fearless player who was a terrified crybaby in the dressing room.  You'd learn about the player who had ice in his veins when the game was on the line, but would be so nervous before every game he'd be throwing up.  The dressing room bully who would hide out on the pitch ("don't pass that bloody white thing to me" syndrome).  The innocent patsy whose career the coach destroys to make a point to the rest of the team. 

I can think of countless examples in all sports the buck the trend.  Babcock, with his sports pyschology background understands this.  Tough guys like Tortarella and Keenan don't.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk