• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

"Top Red Wings of the last 20 years" Team

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

1992/93 Season to the (current) 2012/13 Season. Put together your team. The greatest Red Wings of the last 20 years? Your personal favorite Red Wings of the last 20 years? The combination of Red Wings over the last 20 years that you think would mesh into the greatest team? Greatest single-season peak performers? Greatest overall contribution over-time performers? The choice, or combination of choices, is yours ~ lot of lee-way. (*I know I've started threads like this before, but I love it, and some others seem to as well...so, if you personally don't, please just move on along).

Here's my squad...to start things off:

Forwards:

H. Zetterberg-S. Yzerman©-B. Shanahan(A)

M. Hossa-P. Datsyuk-S. Fedorov
V. Kozlov-I. Larionov-B. Hull
B. Probert-K. Primeau-D. McCarty
D. Ciccarelli, R. Sheppard

.....Explanation: I know Ciccarelli and Sheppard had some high-point seasons in the early 90's, but being born in 1987, I don't remember them - so I kind of screwed them into scratch roles as the 13th and 14th forwards (I'm guessing old Dino'd eventually make into the lineup somewhere as the net-front presence on the PP lol). I wanted a bad-ass fourth line grind line, so I took the two baddest wings I've ever seen (Probert and McCarty), and put the most physical wing center I've ever seen (Primeau) in between them. I'm guessing a lot of people are going to have beef with Primeau's inclusion here, but I recall him being quite good prior to being traded - and he did once fight Probert in practice. The next nine selections really weren't that difficult for me - I don't feel I left any forwards off the roster - it was just arranging them that was tough. Really wanted to have the Russian-five together, but it didn't quite work out.

Defensemen:

N. Lidstrom(A)-L. Murphy
P. Coffey-C. Chelios
V. Fetisov-V. Konstantinov
B. Rafalski

.....Explanation: This was a much tougher group to pick than the forwards. I left off some great players in Chiasson (who I didn't remember much of) and Schneider (who really put up impressive numbers in his time here). Rafalski is probably the best right-side PP option of the bunch, but I hated him so much in the defensive end that I couldn't include him in the regular lineup above these other stalwarts. He might find his way onto the squad somehow..

Goalies:

D. Hasek
C. Osgood
M. Vernon

.....Explanation: This was a relatively easy group for me. Hasek's no doubt the best goalie I've ever seen in a red wings uniform, and he won us a cop. Osgood was here for the long haul, and he won us our last cup as well (I consider his first a cup we won in spite of him...and there are perhaps a couple more we could've had along the way with someone else). Vernon in our first cup was a true beauty; and his performance in that run I felt merited him a spot ahead of Howard.

HC: S. Bowman
GM: J. Devellano

.....No questions here.

I'm just going for pure unbeatability. That's probably not a word.

Zetterberg - Yzerman - Shanahan

Hull - Datsyuk - Fedorov

Hossa - Larionov - Primeau

McCarty - Helm - Draper

Holmstrom (PP, wherever)

Lidstrom - Konstantinov

Chelios - Coffey

Fischer - Murphy

Fetisov (tough to leave out Raf)

Hasek

Osgood

Howard

1992/93 Season to the (current) 2012/13 Season. Put together your team. The greatest Red Wings of the last 20 years? Your personal favorite Red Wings of the last 20 years? The combination of Red Wings over the last 20 years that you think would mesh into the greatest team? Greatest single-season peak performers? Greatest overall contribution over-time performers? The choice, or combination of choices, is yours ~ lot of lee-way. (*I know I've started threads like this before, but I love it, and some others seem to as well...so, if you personally don't, please just move on along).

Here's my squad...to start things off:

Forwards:

H. Zetterberg-S. Yzerman©-B. Shanahan(A)

M. Hossa-P. Datsyuk-S. Fedorov

V. Kozlov-I. Larionov-B. Hull

B. Probert-K. Primeau-D. McCarty

D. Ciccarelli, R. Sheppard

.....Explanation: I know Ciccarelli and Sheppard had some high-point seasons in the early 90's, but being born in 1987, I don't remember them - so I kind of screwed them into scratch roles as the 13th and 14th forwards (I'm guessing old Dino'd eventually make into the lineup somewhere as the net-front presence on the PP lol). I wanted a bad-ass fourth line grind line, so I took the two baddest wings I've ever seen (Probert and McCarty), and put the most physical wing center I've ever seen (Primeau) in between them. I'm guessing a lot of people are going to have beef with Primeau's inclusion here, but I recall him being quite good prior to being traded - and he did once fight Probert in practice. The next nine selections really weren't that difficult for me - I don't feel I left any forwards off the roster - it was just arranging them that was tough. Really wanted to have the Russian-five together, but it didn't quite work out.

Defensemen:

N. Lidstrom(A)-L. Murphy

P. Coffey-C. Chelios

V. Fetisov-V. Konstantinov

B. Rafalski

.....Explanation: This was a much tougher group to pick than the forwards. I left off some great players in Chiasson (who I didn't remember much of) and Schneider (who really put up impressive numbers in his time here). Rafalski is probably the best right-side PP option of the bunch, but I hated him so much in the defensive end that I couldn't include him in the regular lineup above these other stalwarts. He might find his way onto the squad somehow..

Goalies:

D. Hasek

C. Osgood

M. Vernon

.....Explanation: This was a relatively easy group for me. Hasek's no doubt the best goalie I've ever seen in a red wings uniform, and he won us a cop. Osgood was here for the long haul, and he won us our last cup as well (I consider his first a cup we won in spite of him...and there are perhaps a couple more we could've had along the way with someone else). Vernon in our first cup was a true beauty; and his performance in that run I felt merited him a spot ahead of Howard.

HC: S. Bowman

GM: J. Devellano

.....No questions here.

I don't understand Vladdy being on your 3rd pairing but other then that I like the lines, here are mine

Federov - Yzerman - Shanny

Hossa - Datsyuk - Zetterberg

Homer - Primeau - Larionov

D Mac - Drapes - Probert

Kozlov - Hull

Lidstrom - Konstantinov

Chelios - Murphy

Rafalski - Coffee

Fetisov

Hasek

Osgood

Howard

Coach: Bowman (obvious choice)

GM: Holland

Shanahan - Yzerman - Fedorov

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Maltby - Draper - McCarty

Grimson - Larionov - Kocur

Lidstrom - Chelios

Fetisov - Lilja

Coffey - Dandenault

Hasek

Osgood

LOL, you leave out vladdy, rafalski, and others and put in Lilja :hysterical:

Shanahan - Yzerman - Hossa

Hull - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Zetterberg - Fedorov - Robitaille

Maltby - Draper - Larionov

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Chelios - Fetisov

Konstantinov - Coffey

Murphy

Hasek

Joseph

Shanahan - Yzerman - Fedorov

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Maltby - Draper - McCarty

Grimson - Larionov - Kocur

Lidstrom - Chelios

Fetisov - Lilja

Coffey - Dandenault

Hasek

Osgood

Hey, you forgot Lebda.

Guest irishock

Hank replacing Devereaux too? I always wish Z came up a year earlier. It's probably best he didn't but it would've been fun.

Yeah, I keep thinking Z was on that team.

Edited by irishock

Hmmmm

Federov-yzerman-Shanahan

Hossa-Datsyuk-Hull

Zetterberg-Primeau-Hommer

Probert-Draper-McCarty

Kocur Maltby

Nick-Vlad

Coffey-Rouse(someone has to play D with this pair)

Chelios-Murphy

Fetisov

hasek

Howard

Guest The Axe

Well, it was a preference list, not who I think are Hall of Famers and what not.

Notice, I put Dandenault in there as well.

I actually liked Dandeneault, but yah. Thats ridiculous!

Yzerman-Feds-Datsyuk

Ughhhhh. Just sick to think about that line.

What would the worst team be?

Williams - Ritolla - Calder

Ellis - Hartigan - Leino

Mowers - Hussey - Bootland

Barnes - Robinson - Langfeld

Krupp - Myrvold

Rivers - Wolley

Norton - Stafford

LaMothe

?

Coach: Dave Lewis

Golubovsky, Butsayev, Leino, etc.

BTW, since Ellis, Hussey and Langfeld were actually a real line, you should have put them together. :lol:

What would the worst team be?

Williams - Ritolla - Calder

Ellis - Hartigan - Leino

Mowers - Hussey - Bootland

Barnes - Robinson - Langfeld

Krupp - Myrvold

Rivers - Wolley

Norton - Stafford

LaMothe

?

Coach: Dave Lewis

No Anders on here? What was his fat butts last name? was it eriksson?

Golubovsky, Butsayev, Leino, etc.

BTW, since Ellis, Hussey and Langfeld were actually a real line, you should have put them together. :lol:

LOL

I was trying to balance the lines by spreading out the talent.

No Anders on here? What was his fat butts last name? was it eriksson?

Correct.

Hey, Eriksson helped us land Chelios. For that, I am eternally in his debt. Respect.

I'd go this

Shanny yzerman homer

Feds larionov dats

Hull zetterburg kozlov

Dmac helm kocur

Draper hossa

Lids vladdy

Raff Fischer

Coffey Murphy

Hasak

Ozzie

Cujo