• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
puckbags

Notes from Saturday's practice

Rate this topic

So now Babs has Fil with Hank and Brunner, leaving literally NO ONE for Pavs to play with... WTF!!! I don't like how Babs basically called Fil out today for needing to be better, meanwhile Cleary has been MUCH worse than him but continues to get way too much ice time. How about you call out Cleary before Fil Babs. and sticking Cleary and Sammy on a line with Pavs is just retarded that will get nothing done. Pavs needs someone to work with, whether it be Fil, Brunner or Hank.

So now Babs has Fil with Hank and Brunner, leaving literally NO ONE for Pavs to play with... WTF!!! I don't like how Babs basically called Fil out today for needing to be better, meanwhile Cleary has been MUCH worse than him but continues to get way too much ice time. How about you call out Cleary before Fil Babs. and sticking Cleary and Sammy on a line with Pavs is just retarded that will get nothing done. Pavs needs someone to work with, whether it be Fil, Brunner or Hank.

I think Fil with Z is only if Pav can't play. Anyway I wouldn't mind changing things up in the top 6 to get Fil going. Pav could play with Tatar and Sammy, or Brunner and Tatar/Sammy.

He's a rookie who can be sent down without losing him. If we had to waive him to send him down, you can be sure it would be someone else on the way out.

Remember Datsyuk only scored 35 points as a rookie. Hank only 44. Franzen 16. Flip scored 23 points in his first 105 NHL games. Even if you assume Nyquist is a star in the making it's still unlikely that he'd be so good as a rookie that it would be worth losing another player over. We don't have Brett Hull to play with him on the 4th line, and we already have one rookie in the top 6. He's not a center nor a physical player. We're not going to waste development time by keeping him up to sit in the pressbox. Probably not a good idea to put him in a spot where we're depending on him on the PK.

It's just not an optimal situation for him right now. If we'd had a training camp and pre-season, maybe he would have won a spot. If we were a better team that could better afford to carry him if he didn't work, or a worse team not worried about the consequences, he might have a spot. In short, the main reason he's being sent down is because he can be.

I understand waht you are saying. But at the same time, isn't the goal to win games? If so, then shouldn't you play your best players? If the goal is to win, then how is Nyquist not in the lineup? Well it can only really be 1 of 2 things. I would think we are trying to win. That only leaves 1

Could it be, and i realize this is crazy, but maybe Nyquist isn't as good as some here think? After all he seems to have been passed by tatar. Let's face some possibilities here. Nyquist has been up a couple of different times. he hasn't been able to stay and beat out any one of several over the road has beens/never were's.

There's no doubt that Nyquist has some really high-end skills, its whether he can translate them to the NHL that is the issue for me. Whenever I've seen him play, his skill has been clear, but so has his lack of impact on the game, although he did show some flashes last time out with Tatar and Andersson.

I don't see Babcock benching Cleary anytime soon because even with his underwhelming play so far, he still has two things going for him: 1) The Wings don't have anybody who plays Cleary's type of game as effective as he does (at least historically; who knows whether anyone will fill that role this year), and 2) Even with Cleary not getting anything productive done, he's still working hard and sacrificing the body to try to make plays and battling every shift he has, and Babs values hard workers very much.

On Nyqvist: I was curious why Tatar and Andersson were brought up ahead of him this year, especially considering how well he seemed to fit into the NHL when he was previously brought up (not to mention his AHL play). I heard something about Holland wanting his other prospects to feel like they're still valued, but that's kind of a weak reason on its own. Anyway, I wonder if Holland and co intentionally created an atmosphere in the minor leagues for Nyqvist without Tatar and Andersson to observe whether Nyqvist is capable of leading a team on his own. Perhaps the Wings's organization is starting to look for leadership for after Zetterberg and Dats are gone. If you believe this article that was posted on these boards once (http://network.yardbarker.com/nhl/article_external/captain_zetterberg_was_determined_years_ago/11046893) then you know that the Wings look for leadership qualities at an early time in a player's professional career. Anyway, its all a great deal of speculation on my part, but its something to think about.