Notes from Saturday's practice

Rate this topic

- Mrazek starting Sunday

- Sammy back

- Nyquist sent back to GR

- Monster headed to GR for conditioning stint

- Mule strained hip flexor..out Sunday and possibly Tuesday

- Datsyuk is 50/50 for Sunday

All of these things brought to you by Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

https://twitter.com/AnsarKhanMLive

Jesus ******* Christ, keep Nyquist and sit Cleary already. And f*** Sammy.

There have been very few times in my years as a Wings fan that I have either questioned Holland or Babs but this one just doesn't make much sense to me. Nyquist hasn't been that great either but his up side over Dan Cleary right now is worth keeping him here for the time being.

There have been very few times in my years as a Wings fan that I have either questioned Holland or Babs but this one just doesn't make much sense to me. Nyquist hasn't been that great either but his up side over Dan Cleary right now is worth keeping him here for the time being.

Could it be, and i realize this is crazy, but maybe Nyquist isn't as good as some here think? After all he seems to have been passed by tatar. Let's face some possibilities here. Nyquist has been up a couple of different times. he hasn't been able to stay and beat out any one of several over the road has beens/never were's.

Could it be, and i realize this is crazy, but maybe Nyquist isn't as good as some here think? After all he seems to have been passed by tatar. Let's face some possibilities here. Nyquist has been up a couple of different times. he hasn't been able to stay and beat out any one of several over the road has beens/never were's.

Cleary is currently better than Nyquist ? Get real dude. Most of your posts are a complete joke, this post just reiterates it.

Guest irishock

Gus has got to stay in the NHL if the Wings want his career to go somewhere. He's maxed out his potential in the AHL, so now you've gotta make him adapt his skills to the big league. Cleary needs to be waived.

Some good news and some so-so news.

He hasn't been all too impressive in his callups this season, but he hasn't looked terrible either. And he was very good when he was up last year. Tatar has certainly earned a spot more thsn Nyquist has, but maybe Nyquist just needs some time. Give him 2-3 games atleast in the top 6 before sending him down. Cleary needs to sit.

Sounds like White, Kindl and Flip are in Babs doghouse.

“Two freebies,'' Babcock said. “Kuba (Jakub Kindl) is not in the right spot, should be over here helping out. (Niklas) Kronwall's pass to Fil (Valtteri Filppula) is off his stick, Kuba's not back defensively to look after it.

“Whitey's (Ian White) got it along the wall on a line change, just gives it away, two-on-one. That's the game.

“So, we do everything for 40 minutes to be set up to win and two plays with the puck … We're not the type of team, with what we have, that we're going to recover from turning the puck over. People can say you're bad defensively, well, we weren't bad defensively, there's no defense for turnovers. It's puck plays that give it to us two nights in a row.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/02/red_wings_giving_opponents_too.html

--Coach Mike Babcock said he hadn't decided on his lines, but he used Valtteri Filppula with Henrik Zetterberg and Damien Brunner. He's not happy with Filppula's play and basically said he needs to get it together.[/size]

Guest RedWingsDad

Can you calm down with the blasphemy and profanity? It doesn't make you sound cool.

I'm excited to see Sammy play. I'd rather see Nyquist than Mrazek.

Edited by RedWingsDad

So he picks on Kindl who's been playing the best hockey of his career, because Kronwall fires a pass at the back of Filppula skates? What about his complete misuse of 4th line players up in the top6? Mr. Babcock I challenge you to get your stuff together.

So he picks on Kindl who's been playing the best hockey of his career, because Kronwall fires a pass at the back of Filppula skates? What about his complete misuse of 4th line players up in the top6? Mr. Babcock I challenge you to get your stuff together.

He's not been pushing the right buttons, but that play really screwed Kronwall. Kindl was supposed to be his outlet, instead of that, Kindl put himself in the exact position that screws the only lane Kronwall had to pass through. Kronwall should of just ate the puck, or turn it over along the boards, but the whole situation started with Kindl being out of position.

Sounds like White, Kindl and Flip are in Babs doghouse.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/02/red_wings_giving_opponents_too.html

I don't know if that sounds like doghouse as much as it sounds like Babcock being a coach and calling out a terrible few plays from yesterday's game.

Glad to have Sammy back, we really need some depth right now and even though he'll likely play on the top 6 tomorrow, he's a welcomed addition. We need all our of players healthy to be a team that can contend.

Guest Crymson

Because Sammy is back now, someone would need to go on IR for Nyquist to stay up.

Cleary is currently better than Nyquist ? Get real dude. Most of your posts are a complete joke, this post just reiterates it.

I didn't say that. Cleary sucks a$$. That being said, why can't Nyquist beat him out? Or eaves or Emmerton, or...... that is the point. Read what is written and stop ass-u-me-ing. I don't think Nyquist will ever be better than a 40 point guy in the NHL. That is my opinion. But I have also said several times, the only way to find out is for him to play in the NHL. Play him. Then he makes it or breaks it.

I didn't say that. Cleary sucks a$$. That being said, why can't Nyquist beat him out? Or eaves or Emmerton, or...... that is the point. Read what is written and stop ass-u-me-ing. I don't think Nyquist will ever be better than a 40 point guy in the NHL. That is my opinion. But I have also said several times, the only way to find out is for him to play in the NHL. Play him. Then he makes it or breaks it.

I think the idea isn't that Nyquist couldn't beat out those guys, rather that he is waiver exempt. Eaves or Cleary would have to be waived.

Having Nyquist as the swing man who can come up or be sent down as the team needs on a game-by-game basis is ultimately what this is all about. It gives the team depth. Or, at least it's supposed to.

Plus you have to consider roles. For example , Nyquist > Andersson and will be a more important player in the long run, but Andersson fits a niche right now, adding size to line 3.

Wow really? What do you base that opinion on?

He's a rookie who can be sent down without losing him. If we had to waive him to send him down, you can be sure it would be someone else on the way out.

Remember Datsyuk only scored 35 points as a rookie. Hank only 44. Franzen 16. Flip scored 23 points in his first 105 NHL games. Even if you assume Nyquist is a star in the making it's still unlikely that he'd be so good as a rookie that it would be worth losing another player over. We don't have Brett Hull to play with him on the 4th line, and we already have one rookie in the top 6. He's not a center nor a physical player. We're not going to waste development time by keeping him up to sit in the pressbox. Probably not a good idea to put him in a spot where we're depending on him on the PK.

It's just not an optimal situation for him right now. If we'd had a training camp and pre-season, maybe he would have won a spot. If we were a better team that could better afford to carry him if he didn't work, or a worse team not worried about the consequences, he might have a spot. In short, the main reason he's being sent down is because he can be.