• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

Stamkos

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

This guy is a freak. Gretzky's goal record looks untouchable when you think about needing 50 goals a year for 17 years. But damn, Stamkos can fricking bury it. He will have 200+ after this season and be 1/4 of the way there. I wonder where he will be 10 years from now when he's 33. 600+ goals? 700+ goals? I hope he's the first to get to 900.

Not in today's NHL. Gretzky's record will go forever untouched because of how much hockey has changed since his dominance. I like Stamkos, he can seriously score but I don't see his career being anywhere comparable to Gretzky. He's going to fall off in production like a lot of the young stars have once defenses and goalies really begin to figure him out, and the same can be said for other players like Malkin.

Not in today's NHL. Gretzky's record will go forever untouched because of how much hockey has changed since his dominance. I like Stamkos, he can seriously score but I don't see his career being anywhere comparable to Gretzky. He's going to fall off in production like a lot of the young stars have once defenses and goalies really begin to figure him out, and the same can be said for other players like Malkin.

I agree with most of what you're saying. Ovechkin looked like he was going to score 50 goals for 10 years straight. But I think Stamkos is more of a natural scorer than even Ovechkin. That being said, I don't know if he reaches Gretzky but he definitely is the best young goal scorer in the NHL.

Yeah, got to remember most guys start to slow down as they get older. A serious injury that you never 100% recover from, the sum of all those nagging minor injuries you accumulate over the years, the daily grind of the NHL day after day year after year, all the distractions life throws at you as you get older, wives, ex-wives (!), kids.

That, and an NHL were teams don't score 400+ goals per year.

I remember having a similar discussion about Ovechkin a few years ago, I would love to see Gretzky's record broken but given the way the league is at the moment don't see it happening. What set Wayne apart was his incredible consistency, obviously we can argue about pad size etc but think that Stamkos and Crosby have grown up with the bigger pads so they know how to work round that. With the salary cap and, as above, the nearing retirement of St Louis, Stamkos' production may suffer a bit. It would a blockbuster deal for him to move elsewhere so he's stuck with Tampa for the tome being and his natural ability will only get him so far. I hope I'm wrong, I love to see records broken but don't think it will happen.

Yeah, got to remember most guys start to slow down as they get older. A serious injury that you never 100% recover from, the sum of all those nagging minor injuries you accumulate over the years, the daily grind of the NHL day after day year after year, all the distractions life throws at you as you get older, wives, ex-wives (!), kids.

That, and an NHL were teams don't score 400+ goals per year.

For the sake of accuracy, you probably have to take the "s" off teams because I think the Oilers are the only team in the history of the game to score more than 400 goals in a season (they did it 5 years in a row)

Edit....quoting issue

Edited by toby91_ca

So how many goals do you think he averages for the next 10 years?

I think what WhiteLightning said makes a lot of sense, it's going to be hard to judge once St. Louis retires and it's going to come down to who winds up being his linemate and how much chemistry they can come up with. I can see him getting 45+ for the next few years but who knows how much of a factor it will be when he loses his assist machine.

For the sake of accuracy, you probably have to take the "s" off teams because I think the Oilers are the only team in the history of the game to score more than 400 goals in a season (they did it 5 years in a row)

Edit....quoting issue

Pretty sure we scored 420 goals in the early 90s, but I'm happy to proven wrong. The record is 480-odd from memory?

Pretty sure we scored 420 goals in the early 90s, but I'm happy to proven wrong. The record is 480-odd from memory?

I think the Wings' team high is 369 and I think the record held by the Oilers is 446. The Wings' did score 320 in the early 90s, maybe that's what you were thining about.