• Please log in to reply
363 replies to this topic

#321 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

Here we go Dman at deadline here we go. stomp stomp.

In a shortened season and how terrible they are playing at the moment I would say the deadline is now.

#322 Mater_Horn

Mater_Horn

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Maybe in the European leagues.  

I can't remember in the NHL seeing the refs let a player get that good a chance, and still reward him a penalty shot, if he didn't score on the original one.

Got nothing to do with European leagues, which have different rules.

Given NHL rules, the only question is which scoring opportunity was better. The first "opportunity" was a penalty-shot-like situation. The second was not.

#323 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

I wonder how much worse it'll have to get before management decides it's time to let the kids play and see what we can get for some of the vets, and if it's not much, waive 'em

Management is the problem at this point.  

Who do you think assembled this team?  Babcock?

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#324 Fonzarelli

Fonzarelli

Rookie

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

[quote name="Yzerfan1999" post="2357096" timestamp="1361151017"]Lol hire Edmonton's coach for special teams and expect them to do well?  Hahahah.  Tom Renney brought his culture of losing to Detroit.  This is really sad to watch. 

At this rate, the Wings should let Fil walk next year.  I'd rather have Hudler at this point.[/quote
I agree completely about Renney. He's a loser - got the track record to support that.

#325 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Got nothing to do with European leagues, which have different rules.

Given NHL rules, the only question is which scoring opportunity was better. The first "opportunity" was a penalty-shot-like situation. The second was not.

I'd say they were both as good.  Sometimes, scoring in the heat of the moment is easier than having to think about a penalty shot in such a pressure packed moment.  

And they were both breakaways too.  By the time he got set, he had time and space to make any kind of move he wanted.    

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#326 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Three-way trade, for a 1st round pick?

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#327 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

What is the deal with Fil...or did Z just make him look better than he really is last season?

Yes, and playing with the slugs he has will make you look worse.

Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#328 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

Need a top-pairing guy desperately. I just don't know what assets the Red Wings have to get one. I don't really want to give up prospects since this team is more than one player away regardless right now. Almost have to go the overpay route in free agency this summer.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#329 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

In a shortened season and how terrible they are playing at the moment I would say the deadline is now.

More like six games ago.

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#330 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

well id hate to even ask this but would you rather us make the playoffs and go out again in the 1st round or miss it and hope its a wakeup call tp holland and co

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#331 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Yes, and playing with the slugs he has will make you look worse.

Combination slump and gross decrease in skill. Zetterberg >>>>>>>>>>>>> Cleary and Samuelsson. I have bigger fish to fry on this team than Filppula

mikecommodore.jpg

Three-way trade, for a 1st round pick?

Dan Cleary-type player? Knows the system? Steady veteran?

#332 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

well id hate to even ask this but would you rather us make the playoffs and go out again in the 1st round or miss it and hope its a wakeup call tp holland and co

The new cliche is "get into the playoffs and you'll have a 1/16 chance to win the cup". But this group has 0 chance at winning the cup. Best to miss the playoffs for Kenny to address our problems and not dodge it like how he dodges women.

bringit.jpg

#333 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

The new cliche is "get into the playoffs and you'll have a 1/16 chance to win the cup". But this group has 0 chance at winning the cup. Best to miss the playoffs for Kenny to address our problems and not dodge it like how he dodges women.

right bec ause i have noticed when it comes to us we dont have the luck weather its hot sticks hot goalies or even a la kings run gettin g in 8th knowing our luck we get in 8th chi would be 1st and whip us 4 straight

Edited by sjr2012, 17 February 2013 - 08:50 PM.

#334 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

good news

fil should come cheap next year

#335 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

The worst part of this whole thing is that this is completely avoidable without missing the playoffs. Holland knew Lidstrom was close to retirement for years. He knew the equation of clinging to old players too long wasn't working anymore. And when things are going ****-up like they are right now, there is shuffling within the system and trade to try and right the ship.

There is absolutely no need to miss the playoffs other than to shine a brighter light on what everyone can see plain as day.

#336 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

good news

fil should come cheap next year

Unfortunately, no... we'll pay him based on his potential.  We're still waiting for him to breakout, no?

...or we're so afraid to lose him to another team, we'll overpay.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#337 Mater_Horn

Mater_Horn

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Sometimes, scoring in the heat of the moment is easier than having to think about a penalty shot in such a pressure packed moment.  

And they were both breakaways too.  By the time he got set, he had time and space to make any kind of move he wanted.    

Agreed. But I still think the first chance, 1-1 with the goalie, was better.

Sidenote, since you mentioned European leagues: I've just checked, and e.g. in the Swiss league, this situation would clearly not be a penalty. They mention the situation explicitly in their "Casebook", i.e. where a player is fouled from behind, stands up and gives a clear shot on goal without being disturbed. If NHL refs are judging like this too, it would have been better if he shot wide on his second opportunity, sigh.

Edited by Mater_Horn, 17 February 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#338 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

So,.... Who's starting the Mrazek=Average thread? After all, if he was "elite", he would have posted a shutout. The guy has no future. Kenny was wrong about him. Etc. Etc.

#339 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

Unfortunately, no... we'll pay him based on his potential.  We're still waiting for him to breakout, no?

...or we're so afraid to lose him to another team, we'll overpay.

The worst part of this whole thing is that this is completely avoidable without missing the playoffs. Holland knew Lidstrom was close to retirement for years. He knew the equation of clinging to old players too long wasn't working anymore. And when things are going ****-up like they are right now, there is shuffling within the system and trade to try and right the ship.

There is absolutely no need to miss the playoffs other than to shine a brighter light on what everyone can see plain as day.

thats correct but holland lazyly sat by thinking Lidstrom would no doubt come back again i think he was shocked to see him go but i think he should have been on the ball as far back as knowing staurt was high tailing it and when Rafalski retired he should have been all over it but because he waited now his got this shut off switch and in denial thinking we are a great team we are a 10th or 11th place team at best right now and when we are healthy maybe 9th or 8th one line cant get it done we are getting nothing from Flips Cleary etc i agree with others to give the younger guys the time becausde they are hungry enough to do it and Z and Dats are our only Vets in it

#340 metalkorn

metalkorn

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

Agreed. But I still think the first chance, 1-1 with the goalie, was better.

Sidenote, since you mentioned European leagues: I've just checked, and e.g. in the Swiss league, this situation would clearly not be a penalty. They mention the situation explicitly in their "Casebook", i.e. where a player is fouled from behind, stands up and gives a clear shot on goal without being disturbed. If NHL refs are judging like this too, it would have been better if he shot wide on his second opportunity, sigh.

or put it in the net...