• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

No need to panic

Rate this topic

People are being rational and sane? No way this is Lgw. :P No panicking here. Just waiting to see what our team actually looks like. It's a great opportunity with the shortened season to mix it up a bit like we have been. Sure the margin for error is low for making it to playoffs but I would be okay with us missing it this year in favor of playing our younger guys to see what they look like.

Let's look on the bright side. In the off-season, our offense needed an infusion. For all the bashing of Holland, he has addressed that. Brunner has proven to be exactly what we needed on the second line. Would more be nice? Sure, but you can never have too much firepower. But I think we need to keep things in perspective.

The offense could be better, but overall what needed to be done last summer was done. Holland did address those needs in a clever way. However, our defense is atrocious (mostly because of lack of options other than Suter last summer). Let's not forget that as frustrating as last summer was, it was mostly because of a crappy UFA market and no tradable players. There are circumstances outside of Holland's control.

That being said, I fully expect him to do something about the defense. We need a top pairing addition in order to ice a decent defensive corps. Ideally he would find two defensemen to fill in the top 4, but that's unlikely.

Let's look on the bright side. In the off-season, our offense needed an infusion. For all the bashing of Holland, he has addressed that. Brunner has proven to be exactly what we needed on the second line. Would more be nice? Sure, but you can never have too much firepower. But I think we need to keep things in perspective.

The offense could be better, but overall what needed to be done last summer was done. Holland did address those needs in a clever way. However, our defense is atrocious (mostly because of lack of options other than Suter last summer). Let's not forget that as frustrating as last summer was, it was mostly because of a crappy UFA market and no tradable players. There are circumstances outside of Holland's control.

That being said, I fully expect him to do something about the defense. We need a top pairing addition in order to ice a decent defensive corps. Ideally he would find two defensemen to fill in the top 4, but that's unlikely.

I would argue that what needed to be done last off season was to blow up the team. Or at least partially. It would have been the perfect time to do it too with Lidstrom leaving.We've stagnated for too long and the window is closed now. As much as I love a lot of guys on the team it's time we stopped grasping to 09. We're 4 years away from that with only a dozen or so playoff wins to show for it.

Considering the amnesty buyouts and a few players hitting ufa we could really clear out some dead wood on next years roster...

Clearly -ufa

White -ufa

Buyout any of:

Samuelson

Bertuzzi

Quincey

Colaiacovo

On a side note. If you want to see a group of people collectively lose their minds, hope that Holland resigns Clearly. I can see the LGW servers going into meltdown mode should that happen.

I agree that our team's philosophy must change. I also agree that until we miss the playoffs it is unlikely to change. Teams that get top 5 nhl ready talent thru the draft have no reason to leave the kids in the minors. The only way holland changes his way is if mr I to get involved after being tired of this s***.

Guest The Axe

Considering the amnesty buyouts and a few players hitting ufa we could really clear out some dead wood on next years roster...

Clearly -ufa

White -ufa

Buyout any of:

Samuelson

Bertuzzi

Quincey

Colaiacovo

On a side note. If you want to see a group of people collectively lose their minds, hope that Holland resigns Clearly. I can see the LGW servers going into meltdown mode should that happen.

Clearly, #11.

Federov, #91

Which player would you rather have Right NOW?

Guest The Axe

Federov. Hockey sense + nose for the net....look at Jagr. He's old, he's slow, he's getting points. Federov would be an upgrade over most of our forwards and at his age it hurts me to say that.

Youre missing the point/joke!!!

In the 30's and 40's the Wings dominated the league, then their core players aged, retired, moved on and the Wings went 42 years without a Cup.....Wings dominated the league in the 90's and 00's, then their core players aged, retired, moved on and the Wings.....well, lets hope history does not repeat itself, but sadly, it may be a long time and a lot of changes later before the Wings return to dominance in the NHL.

If Holland does NOT make a deal this year and address this team and its needs, it's time for a change in the brass. This team, this town, cannot afford another 40+ years of not winning. Holland needs to address the two glaring issues right now and right here. #1 defense and #1 sniper.

If the Wings tank, drafting Seth Jones would be a step in that direction. If they fall to the 15th-ish pick, drafting Ryan Pulock would be solid. If Holland, at any pick, goes back to his SOP and drafts the way he has drafted in his history, Wings are in trouble and he should be fired. No longer is he at advantage in drafting unknown Euro's, he needs to make the obvious picks now and he needs to let go of some established assets to get this team back in the right direction...it's been going south since he let Hossa go (not saying that wass the only issue) but it was a huge mistake and bad decision. He needs a #1 defender and yes he went after Suter, but maybe just maybe, he needed to go harder? Dunno, it's hard to sway a player away from family.

This team needs major changes and it needs to start now. They aren't losing because of injuries, they are losing because the players just aren't game breakers. Z and Dats can only do so much adn the level of talent between Z and Dats and the rest of the team is like going from the top of the highest roller coaster to 20,000 leagues under the sea...I am scared and I am about to panic.

So making the playoffs is our only goal now?

People are panicking because of the long-term uncertainty of this team, and the lack of tradeable assets we have. No one is saying we can't make the playoffs, it's just that no one cares. If you have Hockeytown imprinted at center ice, you should have higher goals than just making the playoffs. We made the playoffs last year and barely won a game. Who was satisfied with that?

People are still upset with Holland for doing nothing decent the last few deadlines and offseasons, and won't let it go. Now, I realize Wings fans have high expectations and are stubborn, but that's a good thing and what great franchises should be about. This is the best US based franchise in hockey history, and fans don't want it to go back into the toilet again. Fans are looking for something in the future which suggests being a frequent Cup contender. You have to remember most Wings fans on this site (myself included) have never seen this team not be one of the main contenders.

And before anyone mentions last year's Kings, or the 2006 Oilers, 2004 Flames, etc., we don't have the kind of roster that can make a playoff run as a 7 or 8 seed. You need to have a good defense and a hot goalie to do that. Or be a tough team to play against who outworks opponents every game. We're none of those things.

You have to be realistic. You can't stay at the level we were at forever. It isn't possible. That so many fans are too young to remember the time before we reached that level is all the more reason to accept it now.

Having a realistic goal like just making the playoffs this year doesn't mean we'll always be satisfied with that. But sometimes, most times if history is any indication, you have to get bad before you find the right pieces to get good again.

BTW, please guys, it's FedOrov not FedErov...thats almost as annoying as LiNdstrom....and yes a 43 year old Fedorov is much better than Cleary right now. But that just isn't going to happen, because a 21 year old Sheahan is better than Cleary and we already have him...Put Tatar up with Dats and Z, we already have him. Over half this team can be traded and it we wouldn't miss them. Holland better get his ass moving, or Yzerman will be our GM sooner than later!

You have to be realistic. You can't stay at the level we were at forever. It isn't possible. That so many fans are too young to remember the time before we reached that level is all the more reason to accept it now.

Having a realistic goal like just making the playoffs this year doesn't mean we'll always be satisfied with that. But sometimes, most times if history is any indication, you have to get bad before you find the right pieces to get good again.

Exactly my point of comparing the Wings of the 30's and 40's to the Wings of the 90's and 00's...it's about time that they become bad again and it's Holland's fault for not addressing it soon enough...

Look, I still think the Wings will make the playoffs but that's what scares me. Obviously Holland would think nothing is broken and go into next season with the same roster with minor tweaks. Its almost like maybe missing the playoffs would make them rethink about their roster. After 20 years of greatness, its gonna take alot to get a stubborn Holland and Co. to really blow up the roster from older players.

See I think you're wrong, he wouldn't have pursued Suter and Parise so hard, and a few others if he thought nothing was wrong

Dominating is definitely not happening. They've only played well in spurts. Now that the cupcake beginning schedule is almost done, crap is gonna get real shortly. It would be nice to be optimistic, but I really don't think that's gonna fool anyone right now. We are missing 3 players of all star caliber that give us what we are used to watching. We cant beat the good teams that have that amount of talent.

Who are these 3 players of all star caliber that we're missing?

Ah yes, the classic "It's not Holland's fault!" excuse. Like there were no better d-men to be had via trade or free agency that were better than Quincey or Colieakmsxkndnhdsvo. Poor old Holland. I mean Lids and Stuart leaving were a complete surprise to him. As you said though, at least Brunner has worked out so far, which again is because of a scout and not through Holland's trade prowess or draft genius. Holland's real good at finding pieces that nobody really wants and hoping they turn it around in Detroit, but he hasn't competed against other teams for a top talent and won in a long time, and it's become painfully obvious.

esteef

I'd feel better if we had one star player under the age of 30, who I could see leading the Wings into the future.

I'd feel better if we had one star player under the age of 30, who I could see leading the Wings into the future.

brunner?

Who are these 3 players of all star caliber that we're missing?

I believe Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart. Although I don't agree with Stuart being an all star

After losing three in a row its funny to see Ken Holland yapping in the press about all the injuries in the NHL and that it will be the healthy teams that make it this year. While I agree all of this is true I think he is already using his excuse card for the Wings s***ty performance this far. When you are up 2-0 and quit playing and lose the game it IS not because of who is out of your line up. If Ken Holland thinks the return of Smith, Bert, Helm and Colo will somehow make this team a cup contender he should be checked for a pulse.

Is it time to panic? no. The time to panic was last summer when Ken Holland replaced the best d-man to ever play the game with Colo and then picked up Sammy instead of a sniper. Holland will not make any moves and will resign Cleary for 2 more years. Count on it.

Is it time to panic? no. The time to panic was last summer when Ken Holland replaced the best d-man to ever play the game with Colo and then picked up Sammy instead of a sniper. Holland will not make any moves and will resign Cleary for 2 more years. Count on it.

Pretty much.

Brunner has the potential to be a start. In fact if he wasn't 26 he'd be in the running for Rookie of the Year.

Smith has the potential to be a star.

Nyquist

Tartar

Mrazek

All of these guys are under 30 and highly rated by the "experts" but I don't mean to ruin your pessimism with facts.

I think it's a little too soon to call Brunner a star player yet.

Huh? Other than not meeting the age requirement, Brunner is in the running for Rookie of the Year. WHEN exactly is it time to decided he has potential? When it agrees with your point?