• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,178 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

I think monster will exceed expectations. He was the best backup available when we signed him IMO and I was glad we did. 

this. He played pretty well as a starter on a pretty awful leafs team, I have been very excited to see what he can do in the winged wheel :)

#22 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

It's not so much whether Gustavsson himself can make a difference for the team, but having him back should mean Howard can get a game off a bit more often and hopefully play better because of it. 

Mrazek is extremely promising and I'm looking forward to seeing him as a full-time backup someday. 

#23 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

It's not so much whether Gustavsson himself can make a difference for the team, but having him back should mean Howard can get a game off a bit more often and hopefully play better because of it. 

Mrazek is extremely promising and I'm looking forward to seeing him as a full-time backup someday. 

Absolutely. Mrazek simply got called up because the franchise had more faith in him than McCollum. Monster is healthy and ready to play, he was the intended back-up. The franchise brought him in for a reason, and they're going to use him the way he was intended; making Jimmy compete for 1G, and to give him split time finally. Monster is a tall goalie which is something we needed. Mrazek didn't have the same trust with the franchise than Monster, he just got some time in to help the team when needed. He came out and did a good job. Help beat St.Louis and for the most part a solid performance against Minn. He's got a future, it's just not now. Give him time in GR as the starter, and working with the goalie coaches. It's going to help him improve and he'll be more than ready by the time he has a chance in the big show.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#24 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

IDK, i got the feeling that Gustavsson isn't going to get that many starts.  If there's one things the Wings do it's play their starter 90% of the time. 

#25 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

I'm not sure if it's already been said but does anyone know how Monster did in GR? Did he play a game? I'm not expecting too much out of him either but I think he has the skill and size to be a really good backup and push Howard. I just hope he doesn't get lit up whenever his first start is.

#26 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:36 AM

Monster won on Sunday in GR. 2-1. His only start.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#27 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

this. He played pretty well as a starter on a pretty awful leafs team, I have been very excited to see what he can do in the winged wheel :)

I am happy to see him back, him and Harding are the guys I wish nothing but lots of Vezinas and all the luck in life. They both have gone through hell and always come back, heres to a great career in Detroit go Jonas!

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#28 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

IDK, i got the feeling that Gustavsson isn't going to get that many starts.  If there's one things the Wings do it's play their starter 90% of the time. 

It'll depend on how he does. If the team can win with Gus in net I could see him getting 1 out of every 3 or 4 starts.

#29 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

There's a good story about Monster's only start on the conditioning stint in GR from a Yahoo contributor...

http://sports.yahoo....00439--nhl.html

That was obviously before the call up from Detroit, so the author thinks that Gustavsson will still get a few more GR starts.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#30 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

What? The kid played one good game and is arguable the future of goaltending for this franchise but he was terrible yesterday..when Jimmy plays bad you blame Jimmy but when Mraz plays bad it's the d in front of him.  I know I know you drink your own blend of cool aid but Mraz belongs back in the minors for now.he will get his shot.

I don't ever falt out blame JImmy. He does give up bad rebounds and I have never really been a huge fan of his, but I don't trash Jimmy. I just happen to think M-Raz is better than him.  I do agree M-Raz belongs back in the minors because he needs to play.  Babcock just refuses to make the correct lineup changes and sitting M-Raz for so long (after his debut) was a mistake.  He should have at least played in one of the back-to-back games.  But until the D gets adressed, we could have a 2000 version of Dom Hasek and still be losing....I may be on the wagon of thinking Howard isn't anything more than above average, but I have been blaming the D all year long, with the exception of when I trash on Jimmy for his rebound problems...

For the Record: I am not arguing that M-Raz should stay up rather than Monster, I am just saying until Holland grows some balls and makes a move to get a D-man, its only going to be the same for Monster....a goalie can only stop so many odd man rushes and break-aways... I like Jonas, but I also believe that he won't play as much as you guys think...Babs just refuses to sit Howard for more than 1 out of 8 or 9 games....

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?