• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DetroitRedWings1993

Holland looking around

Rate this topic

Bouwmeester? No way. If Holland is looking for a "Shut-down" defenseman then Jay Bouwmeester is no where close to being that. He's an offensive defenseman and in my opinion an overrated defenseman. We don't need another offensive defenseman, you need a defensive one who stays at home and they are pretty hard to find on the market.

I don't see us getting a top line defenseman at the deadline, honestly I wouldn't want to give up another first round pick. As hard as it may sounds, I would rather be a seller then a buyer if we had a choice at the deadline. Pack it in, ride it out and hope for the best because we haven't had a good draft since the Jimmy D/Bowman days and quite honestly this is the time to show how great Ken Holland is in the draft. No more excuses cause we don't have the first two picks or where our position is in the draft. It's finally catching up to us that the only way to succeed in this league is to draft. We cannot depend on Free agency and trade deadline moves because Detroit is no longer a place where Future Hall of famers want to come.

No one is going to want Franzen's outrageous contract, I would suggest using the amnesty clause this summer on Franzen. The guy doesn't deserve the contract and is not a top 2 line forward in my opinion. Flippula is back at his old ways, he is not shooting the puck and his confidence level is not up there. He had a good run last season but I cannot imagine what he would be asking in the offseason. I suggest we let him walk and let some team like Columbus over-sign him (referring to the counter-trade offer for Nash last year).

We might be able to get Stephen Weiss from Florida, he's been playing awful and his trade value might be reasonable for us.

Bouwmeester? No way. If Holland is looking for a "Shut-down" defenseman then Jay Bouwmeester is no where close to being that. He's an offensive defenseman and in my opinion an overrated defenseman. We don't need another offensive defenseman, you need a defensive one who stays at home and they are pretty hard to find on the market.

I don't see us getting a top line defenseman at the deadline, honestly I wouldn't want to give up another first round pick. As hard as it may sounds, I would rather be a seller then a buyer if we had a choice at the deadline. Pack it in, ride it out and hope for the best because we haven't had a good draft since the Jimmy D/Bowman days and quite honestly this is the time to show how great Ken Holland is in the draft. No more excuses cause we don't have the first two picks or where our position is in the draft. It's finally catching up to us that the only way to succeed in this league is to draft. We cannot depend on Free agency and trade deadline moves because Detroit is no longer a place where Future Hall of famers want to come.

No one is going to want Franzen's outrageous contract, I would suggest using the amnesty clause this summer on Franzen. The guy doesn't deserve the contract and is not a top 2 line forward in my opinion. Flippula is back at his old ways, he is not shooting the puck and his confidence level is not up there. He had a good run last season but I cannot imagine what he would be asking in the offseason. I suggest we let him walk and let some team like Columbus over-sign him (referring to the counter-trade offer for Nash last year).

We might be able to get Stephen Weiss from Florida, he's been playing awful and his trade value might be reasonable for us.

Pull that stunt and there won't be any fans to watch this disaster you're suggesting. The idea is to lessen the time spent rebuilding. Adding proven talent now to an improving young crop of prospects is the best way to do that.

And my eyesight may be going, but did you just say that you WANT to be a seller? So, you WANT to fail? You WANT the season to tank? That's plain stupidity. We are nowhere close to the basement. Selling now is beyond foolish. This team needs another top-6 scorer and fewer injuries. The D has improved to the point where Kronwall is finally emerging as a #1. Lashoff makes an effective defensive D-man. Quincey has gotten better. I still hate Ericsson and Kindl. Ship one or both off as part of a package for a top-6 goal-scorer and I'll be happy. Too many mistakes and too much wasted potential.

Pull that stunt and there won't be any fans to watch this disaster you're suggesting. The idea is to lessen the time spent rebuilding. Adding proven talent now to an improving young crop of prospects is the best way to do that.

And my eyesight may be going, but did you just say that you WANT to be a seller? So, you WANT to fail? You WANT the season to tank? That's plain stupidity. We are nowhere close to the basement. Selling now is beyond foolish. This team needs another top-6 scorer and fewer injuries. The D has improved to the point where Kronwall is finally emerging as a #1. Lashoff makes an effective defensive D-man. Quincey has gotten better. I still hate Ericsson and Kindl. Ship one or both off as part of a package for a top-6 goal-scorer and I'll be happy. Too many mistakes and too much wasted potential.

I am not saying to "tank". I said if we had a choice I would choose to sell and that doesn't mean firesale but sell your depth players like Quincey, Kindl, Flipp, Frans (doubtful)..etc. Allow the youngsters like Tatar and Andersson to get more ice time. Lets be honest, we have a 48 game schedule. I would rather focus on the offseason now then do it in a full 82 game season. Btw, Kronwall finally emeraging as a "#1"? You're kidding right? probably the worse quarterback Defenseman in the league, he has proven that he does not belong as a #1 Defenseman. Coughs up the puck, cannot spread the puck out when leaving the defense zone and most importantly gets beat out 1 on 1. Quincey has not gotten better, wouldnt be surprised you see him on Waivers when Colo comes back. Ericsson has actually gotten better, I cant believe how well he is passing the puck but again still has some major flaws. You need a #1 Defenseman, simple.

Maybe just it makes too much sense? The guy has nothing left to prove here, he is playing for an organization in decline/rebuild mode and would love to retire in Russia, he will be 37 when his contract is up, so do the math here..

I agree with posters, saying that Holland has to be more aggressive now but keep in mind guys like Reilly are going to command a big prize and I highly doubt the Avalanche would deal him to this team. Yannick Weber would be nice but he is not a #1 defender, so sadly there aren't as many options as people like to think.

At some point in the not so distant future Holland has to hit 1 - 2 homeruns, otherwhise this team might be looking at another streak but not a nice on.e

Lids had nothing to prove either, yet he stayed. Rumors were all over that he was going to go back to Sweden and he never did. Unloading Dats would be a major mistake and would set this franchise back seriously.,

I am not saying to "tank". I said if we had a choice I would choose to sell and that doesn't mean firesale but sell your depth players like Quincey, Kindl, Flipp, Frans (doubtful)..etc. Allow the youngsters like Tatar and Andersson to get more ice time. Lets be honest, we have a 48 game schedule. I would rather focus on the offseason now then do it in a full 82 game season. Btw, Kronwall finally emeraging as a "#1"? You're kidding right? probably the worse quarterback Defenseman in the league, he has proven that he does not belong as a #1 Defenseman. Coughs up the puck, cannot spread the puck out when leaving the defense zone and most importantly gets beat out 1 on 1. Quincey has not gotten better, wouldnt be surprised you see him on Waivers when Colo comes back. Ericsson has actually gotten better, I cant believe how well he is passing the puck but again still has some major flaws. You need a #1 Defenseman, simple.

Kronwall is among the league-leaders in points on defense. Quincey hasn't been as bad as he was early on. Ericsson is downright terribad. Playing with Cleary and Abdelkader on the PP doesn't help one's "quarterback Defenseman" qualities. So, scoring points proves you don't belong? I guess I should hope the defenseman just don't bother taking the ice anymore. Kronwall hasn't been perfect, but to say Ericsson got better after he cost us the Chicago game is silly. He's a waste of a roster spot. Same with Kindl.

Kronwall is among the league-leaders in points on defense. Quincey hasn't been as bad as he was early on. Ericsson is downright terribad. Playing with Cleary and Abdelkader on the PP doesn't help one's "quarterback Defenseman" qualities. So, scoring points proves you don't belong? I guess I should hope the defenseman just don't bother taking the ice anymore. Kronwall hasn't been perfect, but to say Ericsson got better after he cost us the Chicago game is silly. He's a waste of a roster spot. Same with Kindl.

I never said Ericsson belongs on the team, I'm seeing minor improvement but he is still not worth the money we are giving him, let alone a roster spot. Kronwall is not #1 defenseman, he cannot lead and again proved my point last night against the CBJs. I enjoy Kronwall on the PP but I certainly don't like him paired with Ericsson. Quincey makes nearly 4 million a season and plays like he is trying to crack the lineup. Probably the worse trade deadline move since acquiring Lang a while back. The team needs a shut-down defenseman who plays a two-way style. Kronwall only has one style (offense), Ericsson has one style (offense), Kindl has one style (offense by pinching every time hes on the ice), Quincey has one style (offense), Smith has one style (offense) and yet the last guy who is probably the only one emerging out of all of them is Brian Lashoff who plays a two-way style defense.

Guest DeGraa55

FYI, the phrase means coming out of a trade better than when you enter. It's used all the time. "Star" is a relative term. Different players are stars to different teams for different reasons. Do I expect to get Corey Perry for Ericsson and a 7th? Absolutely not. But quality players can be had. Holland tried, as Bruce Garrioch recently reported, to trade for O'Reilly. Given the asking price, that would've been a mistake. He's talked with the Panthers about Stephen Weiss. He's trying to make a deal. It's not like he's on vacation. As the poster before you said, it can be incredible what just a few players can do for your team. You never know until you try. So, know that I've told you what it means, yes, we need to add without subtracting in an overall, general "team" sense.

I know what it means. And I may be wrong but I lump you into the 90% of people here that do t want to trade dats, Tatar, Nyquist etc etc but expect stars in return. And that's exactly what we need is a star. We got plenty of depth we just lack top end talent at wing.

I know what it means. And I may be wrong but I lump you into the 90% of people here that do t want to trade dats, Tatar, Nyquist etc etc but expect stars in return. And that's exactly what we need is a star. We got plenty of depth we just lack top end talent at wing.

I don't want to trade any of them. It may all be a moot point as I have a strong sense that Holland's going to sell HARD at the deadline. We might just be stripped clean when we come out of the deadline. Who knows? This weekend really soured the outlook. It got so much murkier and far less optimistic. I'd love to get a top-6 winger, too. Those can be had without totally selling the farm. I don't want a superstar. We won't have the cap room to pay superstar dollars. Someone at least somewhat-capable of adding a scoring punch will be fine. Again, to be honest, it really feels like seller mode is upon us. It's really sad.