• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Thoughts on the Blackhawks

Rate this topic

I hate them as much as the next guy. Even as they underachieved the last couple of seasons, they ALWAYS brought their A+ game when they played the Wings. Crawford always seems to play like Patrick Roy when they play us...

But is anyone really that surprised as to how well they are playing right now? In my opinion, they have the deepest forward set in the entire league and I don't think it is really that close.

Elite: Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Kane. I think that is the best top 4 in hockey.

Secondary: Bolland, Frolik, Stalberg. Frolik is an underachiever, but I think for a secondary spot he is a nice get. I'm pretty sure I would take Bolland over Filppula.

Bottom: Bickell, Shaw, Kruger, Saad. Excellent mix of youth and size. Bickell can get you at least 10 and I've liked what I've seen from the other three.

They have a top 5 d-man (Keith) a top 15 d-man (Seabrook) and another solid one (Hjalmarsson). And I think that Crawford is a lot better than people want to admit.

I was just thinking this as they have put this pretty incredible run together. To me, it is not all that surprising.

Edited by unsaddleddonald

Well, if the Wings had sucked hard from like 199whatever until 2006, they’d have a team like Chicago (or Pittsburgh or St Louis who didn’t suck quite as bad, or the more recently sucky Oilers).

But yeah, kudos to the Hawks. As far as rivals go, and although I hate them, I respect them more than the Canucks, Penguins, Sharks, Blues, etc. They play a pretty skilled, relatively diver free/D-bad free brand of hockey.

A lot of their team looks a lot better at the moment because they've come out of the gate absolutely firing on all cylinders and sort of caught the rest of the league off-guard.

When they cool off a bit, which they will, they'll still have some iffy goaltending, so-so bottom 6, and a couple of very mediocre d-men.

Still a very good team though. Could make a run for it this year, doubt they'll make it all the way though.

This Hawks team has the right players stepping up at exactly the right time. I would fully expect them to win the cup this year (barring a huge injury or two) because there obviously hasn't been a team near as consistent as they are right now.

Guest irishock

Meh, goaltending still an issue even though the same could be said for 2010. Depends if they get the right match ups. They would lose in the finals against Boston, but probably beat Pittsburgh.

Personally I think that they will cool off sooner or later. I think Hossa being hurt will hurt them, but I strongly hope that Hossa is okay. He is a fantastic player to watch, and is one of the best 2 players in the nhl, it would be a shame to lose him for an extended period of time.

I guess the question is, what happens when the Hawks lose their first regulation game. How do they respond? That is what makes a team good... dealing with adversity and they have dealt with none this year until this Hossa injury.

They are unreal this season, when your top 6 has guys like Hossa, Sharp, Captain Serious and Kane in it you are set. Add to that a great 3 line guy in Bolland and you look even better.

Crawford never had the chance the chance, to play behind a deep talented defense and the mighty Niemi did not play that well against the Flyers but he didn't need to he was above average at the very best.

I'5 love seeing Seabrook and Keith in Red and White.

Sent from my BlackBerry

I think the only thing that can stop them from making a legitimate run at the Cup this year is their goaltending.

To be fair, their goaltending did all it could to stop their last legitimate cup run - they just had a talented enough team to overcome that (and played teams that also had issues in net)

They have come flying out this season, they have a strong level of belief and the skill to back it up. However, like all teams they will have to slow down eventually.

Guest The Axe

Rangers year this year. Its already over. Bettman will be instructing the referees to make sure this happens.

Oh and they won again last night? No regulation losses YET this season. As it is they have matched the NHL's best opening record with at least one point in their last 16 games.

Not that it's amazing or anything but surely the Hawks season is going better than ours is at the moment.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

If the Wings break the streak, will Filppula break his stick like that idiot Burrows did against us last season?

:lol:

Should Howard skate and kneel like Luongo did?

I REAAALLY want to be the ones to break their streak but if CBJ were the ones to end I'd love it too.

Can you imagine though..."The Columbus Blue Jackets end The Blackhawks 20 game winning streak"

That would be pretty funny IMO

NHL.com:

ST. LOUIS -- Chicago goaltender Corey Crawford left the Blackhawks' game against the Blues on Thursday night after the first period with an undisclosed injury.

Crawford, who missed three games recently with an upper body injury, was replaced by Ray Emeryafter stopping all six shots he faced. The Blackhawks led 1-0 through one period.