• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kerism17

Red Wings' Future

Rate this topic

I was looking at Hockey's Future - Red Wings prospects and our "Prospect Talent" seems to be pretty accurate with Gustav Nyquist and Brendan Smith leading the charge, rated at 8/10, Petr Mrazek, Calle Jarnkrok, Teemu Pulkkinen, Tomas Jurco and Tomas Tatar behind them at 7.5/10. But then I looked at the "Probability Of Success" and I noticed something very obscure. Our prospects with the best chance to succeed are Brendan Smith and Rasmus Bodin... I'm not too familiar with this kid, other than we drafted him in the 6th round, 200th overall last year. He plays for Tranås AIF in Division 1 in Sweden, which is the number 2 league in Sweden under Elitserien. He's a big body at 6'6", 207lbs and is often compared to a grinding, Abdelkader type player. So why is this kid more likely to succeed than guys like Petr Mrazek, Ryan Sproul, Xavier Ouellet, Mattias Backman, Calle Jarnkrok, Teemu Pulkkinen, Tomas Jurco, Martin Frk, Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Tatar, etc, etc... Is it just because of his towering frame? Does this kid really have that much upside?...

Also...

1. What prospect(s) are you most excited about?

2. What prospect(s) do you see as a dark horse?

3. What prospect(s) do you see as over rated

I would say...

1. Calle Jarnkrok / Ryan Sproul

2. Andreas Athanasiou

3. Landon Ferraro

I was looking at Hockey's Future - Red Wings prospects and our "Prospect Talent" seems to be pretty accurate with Gustav Nyquist and Brendan Smith leading the charge, rated at 8/10, Petr Mrazek, Calle Jarnkrok, Teemu Pulkkinen, Tomas Jurco and Tomas Tatar behind them at 7.5/10. But then I looked at the "Probability Of Success" and I noticed something very obscure. Our prospects with the best chance to succeed are Brendan Smith and Rasmus Bodin... I'm not too familiar with this kid, other than we drafted him in the 6th round, 200th overall last year. He plays for Tranås AIF in Division 1 in Sweden, which is the number 2 league in Sweden under Elitserien. He's a big body at 6'6", 207lbs and is often compared to a grinding, Abdelkader type player. So why is this kid more likely to succeed than guys like Petr Mrazek, Ryan Sproul, Xavier Ouellet, Mattias Backman, Calle Jarnkrok, Teemu Pulkkinen, Tomas Jurco, Martin Frk, Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Tatar, etc, etc... Is it just because of his towering frame? Does this kid really have that much upside?...

Also...

I would say...

2. Andreas Athanasiou

3. Landon Ferraro

The knock I've seen on Bodin from when he was drafted is that he doesn't know how to use his size & needs to learn how to play physical. Granted at that time he was playing in the Swedish under 18 league and pretty much every hit he threw was going to be a head level. Anyways, given the fact that the Wings were the only team who scouted him & he has to learn how to play at his size (power forwards, if he really is one, take longer to develop) he's probably a few years away yet.

Edited by ogreslayer

Guest The Axe

The thing that excites me is our size and speed on D. Id love to trade Kronwall away and let White and Colo go.

Ericsson-Smith

Quincey-Kindl

Lashoff-Sproul

Ouelette

They all arent ready yet, but I bet those 7 will make an excellent group in 2-3 years.

The thing that excites me is our size and speed on D. Id love to trade Kronwall away and let White and Colo go.

Ericsson-Smith

Quincey-Kindl

Lashoff-Sproul

Ouelette

They all arent ready yet, but I bet those 7 will make an excellent group in 2-3 years.

You want to trade our best defenseman? You can argue all you want and point at his atrocious -9 but he IS our best defenseman and he isn't going anywhere. He's always out against other teams top lines for a reason. He's also paired with a rookie right now and as solid as Lashoff looks out there he is prone to mistakes. He will get much better and I think he will provide the same level of comfort and stability that Stuart did while he was here.

I would like to see something like this in about 3 years...

Smith - Sproul

Kronwall - Ericsson / Kindl

Ouellet - Lashoff

Backman

Ericsson-Smith

Quincey-Kindl

Lashoff-Sproul

Ouelette

screw Kindl and Q....

If we traded Kronwall...

Ericsson - Smith

Lashoff - Sproul

Ouellet - McKee

I still would love Dekeyser here as well!

Edited by LeftWinger

Back on topic...

1. Jurco or Frk. One has an insane skill set, and the other has a cannon for a shot.

2. Richard Nedomlel. I always think that defensemen who can hit, fight, and block shots will succeed in the NHL. Plus it should be readily apparent that I have a huge boner for stay at home defensemen.

3. Teemu Pulkkinen. He's undersized and doesn't skate well. Which is too bad, what a waste of an amazing slapshot.

Also...

I would say...

2. Andreas Athanasiou

3. Landon Ferraro

The grades are the probability of reaching the projected potential. Bodin's only projected at a 5.5, which means 3rd/4th-line forward. He's huge and supposedly a decent skater, physical, with good hockey sense, which is pretty much all it takes to play that role. That type of role tends to translate easier to higher levels. What they're saying is Bodin could end up somewhere between borderline 3rd-liner and borderline NHL-er. For Nyquist they say 1st-liner and possible all-star to 3rd liner. Basically, Nyquist's floor is higher than Bodin's ceiling.

But HF seems pretty lazy with their grades. Seems about 2/3rds are C's, and handful get B's, and the rest D's.

From today's Redwingscentral update:

http://www.redwingscentral.com/2013/02/20/3584/ferraro-rounding-into-an-nhl-prospect/

They talk about both Ferraro and Bodin.

Here's the latest on Bodin:

Forward Rasmus Bodin, the Red Wings’ final-round sleeper pick last June, is back at Sweden’s third level with Tranas. He’s battled knee and back injuries and had some “adaptation issues” with HV-71 at the J-20 SuperElit level, according to Red Wings director of European scouting Hakan Andersson. “He’s struggling,” Andersson said. “There’s no other way to put it. But he’s got one more year to show something.”

Edited by rick zombo

That was on toipic....Red Wings Future...

Ouellet, Sproul, McKee...

I also can't wait for Sheahan to come up permanantly...

I really look forward to seeing the entire 2012 draft class. There really isn't one pick that I am dissatisfied with...

Frk, Athanasiou, McKee, DeHaas, Bodin & Paterson.

With McCoullum losing ground, M-Raz set to be in Detroit in a couple of season's, Jake Paterson was a great pick to keep GR on the map. Can't say enough about Martin Frk and Andreas Anthansiou they bring much needed elements that the Wings are missing (or currently wasting time expecting some guys here to fill) and I hope to see those two guys sooner than later. James DeHaas just happens to be one of the best young D-men prospects right now, he is already 6-2 and 197lbs. I expect him to top 210lbs before he makes the jump to the NHL (and he will.) What can you say about MIke McKee? Huge, mean, snarly, enforcer, "Don't f*** with my teammates" d-man! I do think that Bodin is going to be one of those black-sheep picks that everyone says how much of a genius Holland can be. Let's just hope he learns to use that huge bodyto his advantage!

Looking in the nearer future, I am excited to see players like Jarnkrok and Jurco make a splash. If you look over the top 10 prospects we have, excluding M-Raz and Andersson who are already NHL ready, there isn't one person that I am not excited for! I just hope they get their shots soon! Which means dumping some folks soon.

They say that Ferraro is starting to turn that corner and rounding out to be a legit NHL prospect...bring him on! I will take Sheahan and Ferraro as soon as next season!

Back on topic...

1. Jurco or Frk. One has an insane skill set, and the other has a cannon for a shot.

2. Richard Nedomlel. I always think that defensemen who can hit, fight, and block shots will succeed in the NHL. Plus it should be readily apparent that I have a huge boner for stay at home defensemen.

3. Teemu Pulkkinen. He's undersized and doesn't skate well. Which is too bad, what a waste of an amazing slapshot.

This!!^

I cannot wait for those two guys to enter the NHL! They're going to be great. Maybe our next set of twins if they develop properly.. Maybe.

This!!^

I cannot wait for those two guys to enter the NHL! They're going to be great. Maybe our next set of twins if they develop properly.. Maybe.

Yeah it's really hard to say because Jurco isn't having the best rookie season, and Frk is still in the juniors (though he is lighting it up). However, they both have the right combination of size and skill to be effective at the NHL level. They're two of the few who don't come with the caveat "highly skilled but need to put more weight on" or "good size but need to round out their game".

They've got a ways to go, but I'm hoping to see them reach their potential.

Yeah it's really hard to say because Jurco isn't having the best rookie season, and Frk is still in the juniors (though he is lighting it up). However, they both have the right combination of size and skill to be effective at the NHL level. They're two of the few who don't come with the caveat "highly skilled but need to put more weight on" or "good size but need to round out their game".

They've got a ways to go, but I'm hoping to see them reach their potential.

And from all reports, Frk plays with more than a little snarl too which is good to hear. It will be interesting though to see if he can keep playing with that edge but cut down on some of the bone-headed penalties he racks up when he loses his temper.

Looking forward mostly to Sproul and Oullet completely destroying competition on their way to our top 4 D. Those 2 with Smith and Kronwall in the top 4 with the 3rd pairing hopefully being Ericsson and Backman/Lashoff (6/7), that's a top 6 that should be quite a bit better than the s*** we're going through currently.

On forward i agree with the sleeper pick of Athaniesou. If we get him on a 3rd scoring line with Helm, their speed together will give teams fits and ready momentum for the top line to carry forward and dominate games. Jurco seems like a great pick, but i would like to see him play with GR a bit. He's one of the reasons i was most annoyed with the no pre-season this year cause he in all likelyhood would have played in the games and then went down to give him the taste of NHL.

Nyquist and Smith I don't really consider prospects anymore along with Tatar cause they'd all be full time NHLers if it wasn't for Smith being injured and Holland signing lineup tampons like Sammy. Jarnkrok and McKee i'm really looking forward to seeing more of. Scouting on Jarnkrok says he has a playstyle like Z and McKee is a big nasty MF that would look nice patrolling the blueline. McKee and Tootoo could be our bash brothers.

Looking forward mostly to Sproul and Oullet completely destroying competition on their way to our top 4 D. Those 2 with Smith and Kronwall in the top 4 with the 3rd pairing hopefully being Ericsson and Backman/Lashoff (6/7), that's a top 6 that should be quite a bit better than the s*** we're going through currently. On forward i agree with the sleeper pick of Athaniesou. If we get him on a 3rd scoring line with Helm, their speed together will give teams fits and ready momentum for the top line to carry forward and dominate games. Jurco seems like a great pick, but i would like to see him play with GR a bit. He's one of the reasons i was most annoyed with the no pre-season this year cause he in all likelyhood would have played in the games and then went down to give him the taste of NHL. Nyquist and Smith I don't really consider prospects anymore along with Tatar cause they'd all be full time NHLers if it wasn't for Smith being injured and Holland signing lineup tampons like Sammy. Jarnkrok and McKee i'm really looking forward to seeing more of. Scouting on Jarnkrok says he has a playstyle like Z and McKee is a big nasty MF that would look nice patrolling the blueline. McKee and Tootoo could be our bash brothers.

I think with McKee back there, Kronwall may grow a backbone again...

1. What prospect(s) are you most excited about? - these are the guys I think we NEED to reach their potential or even higher for our team to succeed

Jarnkrok, Sproul, Ouellet, Sheahan

2. What prospect(s) do you see as a dark horse? - guys that could surprise us in the future and be solid players

Backman, Almqvist, Ferraro

3. What prospect(s) do you see as over rated - guys that are most likely to become busts potentially

Pulkkinen

Also...

I would say...

2. Andreas Athanasiou

3. Landon Ferraro

1. Mrazek, Jarnkrok. Mrazek seems to really have that elite element. He could end being the best goaile we've drafted in the last 40 years. Jarnkrok has the best chance of being our next developed elite forward (although i think Nyquist is going to surprise alot of people).

2. Pulkkinen, Ouellett. If Pulkkinen turns it around, the kid apparently has one of the better shots not in the NHL and I see a little, poor mans Brett Hull when ive watched him. I miss the Hull/Shanahan days. The days when we had guys that regulary shot the puck. Ouellett, I think, is the top 4 defenseman we have coming that no one talks about.

3. Jurco. I want him to be a poor mans Datsyuk as much as the next guy, but I dont see why this kid gets as much hype as he does. I personally see a disconnect between his crazy skills and his junior production. Then he turns pro, and I might not have the whole story, buts he's been bad. Tatar was much more productive, at an earlier age, than Jurco and Tatar (while I personally like the kid a lot) doesnt look like more than a 2nd line Hudler clone at best.

Guest The Axe

Except Kronwall will likely be 42 before McKee gets a shot. :glare:

Unless this organization changes the way it handle their prospects.

Ha! Yah. We will sign 35+ers all day long, but god forbid have a player under age 25 play.

Ha! Yah. We will sign 35+ers all day long, but god forbid have a player under age 25 play.

Lashoff, Smith, Emmerton, Tatar, Andersson, Abby, Helm, are all players under 25, or just turned 25/26 within the last year and have been playing with us since before they were 25

Lashoff, Smith, Emmerton, Tatar, Andersson, Abby, Helm, are all players under 25, or just turned 25/26 within the last year and have been playing with us since before they were 25

Lashoff, Tatar, and Anderson only got a chance because of injuries.

Jurco will take some time to develop which was understood when he was drafted. High talent but really raw as a prospect. He struggled in the OHL his first year and turned it on in his second. He will adjust and be fine.

Sorry but you're completely wrong on this one... Jurco didn't play in the OHL. He played junior in the QMJHL. Secondly his production was very similar in years 1 and 2. 64GP-51PTS and 60GP-56PTS

Edited by mackel

Sorry but you're completely wrong on this one... Jurco didn't play in the OHL. He played junior in the QMJHL. Secondly his production was very similar in years 1 and 2. 64GP-51PTS and 60GP-56PTS

And just like Frk, he was stuck on a team on the 2nd line behind 2 other guys that got all the attention, especially from the coach, hence less points than the others.

If the Wings miss the playoffs and get a top 10 pick, which is becoming more reality every time we get a 2 goal lead and blow it all to hell, I really want to see Ryan Pulock come here. He's gonna be a star Dman and will highly compliment what we already have in Smith, Sproul, Ouellet, Backman, and big nasty McKee. That right there is the real future of the Wings D along with Ericsson. Kronwall is a big ??? these days and it's very upsetting to say.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0009932013.html

here's a taste of a great Dman on a terrible team.