• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
number9

Trading Filppula

Rate this topic

I know this will never happen, and I don't mean to entertain the idea that it would, but just out of curiosity would any of you trade Franzen+Kronwall+Nyquist+1st for Ovie? Moreover, would the Caps take it?

Edited by kipwinger

What everyone should have learned from this offseason is that YOU DONT BUILD FROM FA. You build through the draft like we have always done and are doing.

And naturally as we have one of our weakest years, we also have one of the strongest prospect classes we've ever seen. The Red Wings have been the smartest organization in hockey for over 20 years and they continue to do so. Hockey requires more patience than any other sport. Red Wings have that, and that's why we win every 10 years instead of once every 50.

Trusting the system. The winning system.

I agree, free agency is not the way to go in order to build a team. However, when was the last time we had a legit draft class? especially early rounds. Helm can't score, Flips is overrated, Ericsson is well Ericsson. Andersson and Tatar are question marks still, Abby and Emmerton are 4th liners and most likely wont improve, Franz is a bust, Kindl looks AHL worthy, Smith is still debatable..etc. The only best picks were Kronwall (with the help of Bowman), Howard and Fischer. Holland and his team needs to step it up this offseason in drafting because I haven't seen a core player come out of our draft classes since Kronwall.

I know this will never happen, and I don't mean to entertain the idea that it would, but just out of curiosity would any of you trade Franzen+Kronwall+Nyquist+1st for Ovie? Moreover, would the Caps take it?

Hmm...tough choice. We have lots of quality D prospects, but they are still prospects. Giving up Kronwall is a tough decision. Any day of the week i'd give up Franzen, for the right piece I'd give up Nyquist, but our 1st rounder this year in a deep draft....If that pick ends up being Ryan Pulock, then I'd be unhappy with the end result of the deal. Ovie has not been good lately and would not be worth 2 top 6 forwards and a quality D pairing if our pick is 16 or lower, where Pulock is slotted at the present.

Hmm...tough choice. We have lots of quality D prospects, but they are still prospects. Giving up Kronwall is a tough decision. Any day of the week i'd give up Franzen, for the right piece I'd give up Nyquist, but our 1st rounder this year in a deep draft....If that pick ends up being Ryan Pulock, then I'd be unhappy with the end result of the deal. Ovie has not been good lately and would not be worth 2 top 6 forwards and a quality D pairing if our pick is 16 or lower, where Pulock is slotted at the present.

I don't know anything about this Pulock kid but he seems to be getting a lot of buzz, which means two things. 1) I should look into him, 2) Detroit will never draft him lol.

Throw in John Carlson & I would consider it.

What everyone should have learned from this offseason is that YOU DONT BUILD FROM FA. You build through the draft like we have always done and are doing.

We've talked about this before, I think, but I don't remember what came of it, so, again: What are you talking about?! Look at the past fifteen years. Think of all the free agents we've inked. Think of all the trades we've been involved in. Sure, Holland's on this big "We gotta build from within!" kick - but he himself has painted this change as, well, a change! How many times has he said something along the lines of "You know, in the pre-cap world, most of our team might be a mix of free agent signings and players we had acquired through trades. But in a salary cap world, we can't do that. It's just not feasible. So we have to put the focus where it counts now, which is on drafting and building from within. If you want to succeed and thrive as an organization in today's NHL, you've gotta draft well and build from within"?

EDIT: OK, to be fair, you've got a point, sort of. The draft has (almost) always been pretty important - maybe even kinda key - for us. But couldn't the same be argued for virtually any and every other organization? I guess my thinking is, even with a lot of great Wings (past and present) having come to us by way of the draft, we've done a s***-ton of trading and FA-ing. And so, I have to wonder: If we're The Model re: building through the draft (as opposed to relying heavily on "outside help")...which teams are supposed to be the misguided ones, i.e. the traders-&-FA-ers? :eh:

Edited by Dabura

I don't know anything about this Pulock kid but he seems to be getting a lot of buzz, which means two things. 1) I should look into him, 2) Detroit will never draft him lol.

He's slated to go mid 1st round. Plays for Brandon in the WHL and they are truly terrible this year. He's the only bright spot on a rebuilding team. He'd be the perfect piece to move to a contender at the deadline unless he is eligible for another year of Jr, which i'm not sure on, but he's damn good and he's a decent size.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Ryan-Pulock

there's his NHL scouting report.

To everyone dogging Filppula, hes scoring more at even strength per minute than all forwards except Datsyuk, and that's him having a s***ty year.

Imagine if he only shot more, thats what I think most people have a problem with. I know that is my issue with him, he's a good player but until he plays like last year I don't think he is worth 5 million dollars. Right now he looks like the 40-45 point Flip from previous years.

To everyone dogging Filppula, hes scoring more at even strength per minute than all forwards except Datsyuk, and that's him having a s***ty year.

Agreed. Flip was clearly injured at the start of the year and then had the injury. He has been playing awesome hockey and except the terrible giveaway against Calgary, he seems to be playing with a ton of passion, fire and intensity. Back to back goal games and a sweet pass last night to Z. Flip is a much more valuable player on this team than people think.....I hope he resigns and Detroit pays the guy what he's worth!

Edited by Motown4013

I would take a gamble on a deal like that. Considering the play of Ovechkin lately, they should at least listen. I guess it depends on how fed up they are with him. Perhaps if management was swapped out so the prestige would not be a factor.

I am not so sure I would put Kronwall in there, but replace it with Filppula and also receive their 1st in return, then ya, I would do that....

to WAS: Franzen, Filppula, Nyquist, 2013 1st rd pick.

to DET: Ovechkin, 2013 1st rd pick.

I would take that trade for sure. Still don't think Washington would though.

Re: Ovechkin -

I just don't think he would ever do well under Babcock or on this team in general. He has a very "me first" mentality and doesn't seem willing to change his attitude, no matter who is the head coach.

Filppula plays his role well on this team and is a guy who can be counted on to hold down a spot on the 2nd line. Now, if he won't move from 5+ mil/season to re-sign then maybe Holland should consider moving him to at least get something in return. But I wouldn't be so quick to give up on negotiations.

Imagine if he only shot more, thats what I think most people have a problem with. I know that is my issue with him, he's a good player but until he plays like last year I don't think he is worth 5 million dollars. Right now he looks like the 40-45 point Flip from previous years.

Keep in mind though that he's only played 22 games. While it looks like a big difference when you extrapolate to a full season, right now it's only 3-5 points. Considering he's had next to nothing to work with on the PP, and was missing practices early in the year due to a nagging injury, that shouldn't be unexpected.

I think Tatar has more of a future with Detroit than Nyquist does. Trading Filppula and Nyquist in a package for a scorer makes a lot of sense. But would that be enough?

Not likely. Most deadline deals tend to be picks/prospects for roster players. Something like you suggest would have been more likely in the summer. We'd have to find someone looking to dump salary for next year, and dump players usually aren't all that good.

Our best return would probably come from someone actually looking for a rental. Chicago and Vancouver stand out, as both are looking for centers and both are already near the cap next year. Vancouver could make some moves to keep him long-term if they wanted, Hawks would probably trade his rights at the draft. I'd want something like a 1st and 3rd from them for him, maybe a 4th from the Canucks. It might then be possible to flip that 1st plus Gus for a sniper.

Keep in mind though that he's only played 22 games. While it looks like a big difference when you extrapolate to a full season, right now it's only 3-5 points. Considering he's had next to nothing to work with on the PP, and was missing practices early in the year due to a nagging injury, that shouldn't be unexpected.

Not likely. Most deadline deals tend to be picks/prospects for roster players. Something like you suggest would have been more likely in the summer. We'd have to find someone looking to dump salary for next year, and dump players usually aren't all that good.

Our best return would probably come from someone actually looking for a rental. Chicago and Vancouver stand out, as both are looking for centers and both are already near the cap next year. Vancouver could make some moves to keep him long-term if they wanted, Hawks would probably trade his rights at the draft. I'd want something like a 1st and 3rd from them for him, maybe a 4th from the Canucks. It might then be possible to flip that 1st plus Gus for a sniper.

I would take Burrows from Vancouver whenever they are ready. They can have Flip and Franzine...

Guest DeGraa55

I don't follow Toronto much but I heard the could maybe be sick of that young guy they got kessel I think is name is? Or was he the canuck? I can't remember.

But anyway I thought he was suppose to be good but he has under performed in Toronto and they could look to move in. Anyone that follow him know if he would even be worth it?

I don't follow Toronto much but I heard the could maybe be sick of that young guy they got kessel I think is name is? Or was he the canuck? I can't remember.

But anyway I thought he was suppose to be good but he has under performed in Toronto and they could look to move in. Anyone that follow him know if he would even be worth it?

This seems to be a trend with Kessel. He has so much potential and yet he has been traded from Boston and now you say that you hear Toronto is getting tired of him? He has had 4 straight seasons of 30 or more goals, but seems to be struggling (by his standards) a bit this year. Of course Toronto is only outshined by Montreal as places that are the hardest to play for. If you struggle in either of those cities, you may as well pack it in, you are doomed forever more....Does he have the same issue as our whipping boy?

That being said, I don't think that Toronto would trade with Detroit (or vice-versa) considering that they will be conference rivals again next season...

Guest DeGraa55

This seems to be a trend with Kessel. He has so much potential and yet he has been traded from Boston and now you say that you hear Toronto is getting tired of him? He has had 4 straight seasons of 30 or more goals, but seems to be struggling (by his standards) a bit this year. Of course Toronto is only outshined by Montreal as places that are the hardest to play for. If you struggle in either of those cities, you may as well pack it in, you are doomed forever more....Does he have the same issue as our whipping boy?

That being said, I don't think that Toronto would trade with Detroit (or vice-versa) considering that they will be conference rivals again next season...

Ya us being in the east could complicate that. And I'm pretty sure I hears it on one of the NBC games awhile ago.

He was traded by Boston because of the dumb deal Toronto gave up for him by Burke. 2 1st round draft picks (Seguin and Hamilton) and a 2nd round pick. Kessel is good, he doesn't have a #1 center yet still produces 35+ goals a year and was over a PPG player last year on a terrible team. I still think he was one of the best wrist shots in the entire league. That being said, your right he won't be traded to Detroit because they are going to the division next year.

I'd be cool with trading Filppula, but I don't want us giving him away for nothing. I'd trade him for Nathan Horton. Both are UFAs at the end of the season. From the sounds of it, Filppula is gonna want upwards of $5 mil/year, an amount I don't feel he's worth. He's likely hit his peak and he's a bit older. Boston probably won't go for it at this point in the season, though.

Guys like Horton are the kind of guys we need to be targeting with us moving to the east.