• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
number9

Trading Filppula

Rate this topic

We better get used to our smaller skilled guys being traded for bigger guys in order to compete in the Eastern Conference.

I think the east might play a tougher brand of hockey but the idea that the conference is bigger is mostly a myth.

If you go by average height and weight the Wings are actually a bigger team than Boston, although certainly not as physical.

If the Wings can have success in the east with their style next season I think you'll see a lot of the teams in the North East dumping tough guys for guys with more skill to match up with the Wings.

Edited by FlashyG

I'd be cool with trading Filppula, but I don't want us giving him away for nothing. I'd trade him for Nathan Horton. Both are UFAs at the end of the season. From the sounds of it, Filppula is gonna want upwards of $5 mil/year, an amount I don't feel he's worth. He's likely hit his peak and he's a bit older. Boston probably won't go for it at this point in the season, though.

Guys like Horton are the kind of guys we need to be targeting with us moving to the east.

Since his injury, Horton hasn't been as physical as he was in past seasons. I hope he can get that part of his game back, but I don't think he is enough for the Wings' top-6. A productive Clowe, which is not happening so far this season, would be a great addition to the top-6. Looking at the Wings' prospects, and the move to the east next season, the Wings will need some additions from outside the organization in the next few years with Bert retiring or going on LTIR.

Edited by WorkingOvertime

I think at this point if Flip is not re-signed by the trade deadline, he should be moved if for nothing else than draft picks cause those will at least still be here this summer even if he is not. I don't like the idea of losing Flip, but moreso I do not like the idea of him wanting $5+ million. He should get the Franzen 3.8 unless he finishes this year with 15 goals, which would involve a lot more shooting.

Fil isn't a goal scorer. He is a passer. We have a bunch of those guys. No need to spend 4+ million to resign him. Move for picks prospects and spend our money of guys that put the puck in the net. How many years have we heard Babs, Holland, Micky and others talk about Filppula needs to shot more, needs more confidence, etc..... well he is 28 going on 29. If he ahsn't figured this out by now, he never will.

Now, this doesn't mean I hate Filppula or anything like that. But we have a bucnh of Filppula's. We don't have any Perry's or Clarksons. That is what we need.

Why do people keep saying "if the Wings are out of the playoffs at the trade deadline?" That's just not going to happen unless they go on a massive losing streak. Look at the western conference standings. Especially the column that tells how teams are doing in the last 10 games. Teams that have won 6 or more of the last 10 that are not leading their divisions ....St. Louis (6-4-0), Columbus (6-0-4), LA (6-4-0). That's it. Everybody else had 5 or less wins in the last 10 including the Wings.

The point is that the teams that we are fighting for a playoff spot with are not winning consistantly. I expect that this will go down to the last week. The Wings will be in the mix until the end.

Fil isn't a goal scorer. He is a passer. We have a bunch of those guys. No need to spend 4+ million to resign him. Move for picks prospects and spend our money of guys that put the puck in the net. How many years have we heard Babs, Holland, Micky and others talk about Filppula needs to shot more, needs more confidence, etc..... well he is 28 going on 29. If he ahsn't figured this out by now, he never will.

Now, this doesn't mean I hate Filppula or anything like that. But we have a bucnh of Filppula's. We don't have any Perry's or Clarksons. That is what we need.

Fil score 23 goals last year - the same at Patrick Kane. Is Kane a goal scorer? Z had 22.

Why do people keep saying "if the Wings are out of the playoffs at the trade deadline?" That's just not going to happen unless they go on a massive losing streak. Look at the western conference standings. Especially the column that tells how teams are doing in the last 10 games. Teams that have won 6 or more of the last 10 that are not leading their divisions ....St. Louis (6-4-0), Columbus (6-0-4), LA (6-4-0). That's it. Everybody else had 5 or less wins in the last 10 including the Wings.

The point is that the teams that we are fighting for a playoff spot with are not winning consistantly. I expect that this will go down to the last week. The Wings will be in the mix until the end.

Fil score 23 goals last year - the same at Patrick Kane. Is Kane a goal scorer? Z had 22.

The Wings right now are not beating the teams they should be beating. Edmonton and Columbus shouldn't be giving them problems they have been. On top of that its been pointed out that the Wings are really low on goals scored, averaging only 2.68 goals per game, and giving up 2.59 per game. If the Wings can make a move at the deadline that will help them in the future at the expense of a player whose style is very well represented in the line up and in the minors, especially this year when massive over payments will be the order of the day, I say go for it.

Now if Gaustad is worth a first overall, I think Fil will be worth at least a + prospect, a first and a 3rd.

The Wings right now are not beating the teams they should be beating. Edmonton and Columbus shouldn't be giving them problems they have been. On top of that its been pointed out that the Wings are really low on goals scored, averaging only 2.68 goals per game, and giving up 2.59 per game. If the Wings can make a move at the deadline that will help them in the future at the expense of a player whose style is very well represented in the line up and in the minors, especially this year when massive over payments will be the order of the day, I say go for it.

Now if Gaustad is worth a first overall, I think Fil will be worth at least a + prospect, a first and a 3rd.

a prospect, a 1st and 3rd for a pending ufa? keep dreaming. I could see a 2nd tier prospect and a first maybe

a prospect, a 1st and 3rd for a pending ufa? keep dreaming. I could see a 2nd tier prospect and a first maybe

Paul Gaustad, a pending UFA last season fetched a first round pick. A guy who had 17 points, and I believe his career high was well under 40 points. This season there will be very very few sellers, and a second line winger/center will fetch a kings ransom. Mark my words.

Edited by Shaman464

Paul Gaustad, a pending UFA last season fetched a first round pick. A guy who had 17 points, and I believe his career high was well under 40 points. This season there will be very very few sellers, and a second line winger/center will fetch a kings ransom. Mark my words.

I really hope you're right, I just don't see it unfortunately

I really hope you're right, I just don't see it unfortunately

How don't you see it? This year the standings are tighter, there are a lot of teams that with a player like Fil could go from a border line team to a legit contender. With few sellers and very few top forwards that are UFAs on teams that would be willing to part with them, I could see bidding wars that would end up with a few teams coming out like bandits.

Edited by Shaman464

How don't you see it? This year the standings are tighter, there are a lot of teams that with a player like Fil could go from a border line team to a legit contender. With few sellers and very few top forwards that are UFAs on teams that would be willing to part with them, I could see bidding wars that would end up with a few teams coming out like bandits.

I don't see it because we are never the team that comes out like a bandit, somehow kenny will screw it up, and we will end up getting scott gomez in return lmao

I don't see it because we are never the team that comes out like a bandit, somehow kenny will screw it up, and we will end up getting scott gomez in return lmao

For a fine player like Scott Gomez we will have to give them Flip, a first, and I'm pretty sure Holland will have to mow Doug Wilson's lawn for a few months.

Lest we forget Quincey garnered a 1st as well. I don't know if Filppula will get us a 1st, prospect and a 3rd....but I can see a 1st for sure...not unless a few teams get in a bidding war for him....that would be nice, eh?

With so little separation between 3rd and 12th, a second line player who is defensively responsible and a good puck mover would be one of the top assets on the market.