• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#21 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Filppula has very little trade value because he's a UFA next year.  I don't see him moving at all.

Actually, with the salary cap dropping so much next year, he may have more value this spring than usual.  A team that's close to maxed out for next year yet still has cap room this year may jump at a chance to pick up Filppula, knowing he's just a rental.

#22 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Yes he is off pace from last season, but so is everyone not names Zetterberg or Datsyuk.  Filppula is coming off a career best 66 points in 81 games, and you are saying all he would get us in return  is a middle of the road depth player or a mediocre prospect? Really? So lets say trading Filppula for Jordin Tootoo would have been an even swap?  Or lets say we trade Filpulla for TJ Hensick? Gimme a break guys, you really under value Val right about now. I am not saying you could get Shea Weber for  him, but he has more value than a mediocre prospect...expecially if you package Tatar and our 1st rounder which seems like it may be a top 15 the more I watch this team...maybe even a top 10.

No matter how you slice it, Val and Johan are the two most tradeable assets this team has.  You are not going to see Smith traded or Helm.  Abdelkader is a slight possibilty but he plays his role fine here and enjoys it.  I can see Abby being a Red Wing until he retires. So if you guys don't think we can get anything of value for Flip or Franzine, then we may as well start tanking the next 5 season so we can get those top 5 picks for the next 5 years in a row...

Nyquist is perhaps our #1 prospect, maybe he just doesn't fit in Detroit too well. Filppula would be an asset to someone (espcially Anaheim) and if the Wings fail to make the playoffs that 1st round pick would be a top 15. Filppula is a playmaker, not a scorer. He has hands, yes, but he is primarily a playmaker, that is why he has not turned into a prolific scorer playing with Datsyuk. If Filppula played with Selanne on his wing, you would see Fil's point total improve by at least 50% if not more. He can be a great #1 or #2 center for another team, and he has value. He just has nowhere to be a center here, not with Dats, Z and Helm. Fil is far too good to be a #4 center. Besides, I just threw Nyquist in there, lets say it was Tatar (which I dont think Holland would part with) but whatever.

So who would you think it would cost to get us a top d-man here? Don't just come here and bash someone's thoughts, tell us what makes more sense, because standing pat on our D right now makes NO sense what-so-ever...

It isn't like Selanne is struggling and needs a set up man.  Not to mention, he's 42 years old and who knows how much longer he will play.  So, the Ducks are going to trade Bobby Ryan so Teemu can play with a buddy for maybe a year?  The only reason they would be trading  Bobby Ryan would be for cap space, so why would they acquire Flip and pay him 5 mil?  It doesn't make sense for Anaheim at all.  It only makes sense in your mind. 

Filppula hasn't proven that he can be a solid #3 center, let alone a #1 or 2 center.  He's done absolutley nothing on the second power play unit.  Granted he doesn't have a lot of talent out there with him, but true playmakers can set up even the worst stone hands. 

I have absolutely no idea what it would to take to get a top line player....Likely another top player, prospect or draft pick, the latter of which, the Wings don't have an abundance of.  What the Wings have is cap space.  Unfortunately, the free agent market is fairly sparse.  I don't follow other teams cap space and contract situations very closely, so I can't say who might be available due to a team needing cap space or a salary dump. 

Are Filppula and Franzen tradeable assets?  Sure, but I don't think they have the trade value that you seem to think they do.  Franzen is older and injury prone and while his cap hit isn't high, a team is stuck with him for quite a long time due to his contract. 

#23 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

i would trade him in a heart beat for bobby ryan, corey perry, doughty, brown or yandle. otherwise keep

#24 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

settle down holland will not be trading anyone

Posted Image

#25 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

Franzen leads the team in scoring every year.  He's streaky but he produces.  Flip has always been one season away from a breakout year which he's never going to have.  He's a good player, but good is replaceable, especially if we get someone who brings something new to the table in exchange.

Solid arguement. But would you rather have a two way forward who (probably) will never have that break out year, or a forward who plays like he's half his size and scores the quietest 30 goals you've ever seen?

#26 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

Reminds me when the Wings parted with Kozlov
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#27 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Fil will be re-signed. The only way I see him moving is for a top tier dman. We will not be trading him for forward(s). He is a solid two way player that at times moves similar to datsyuk on the ice - he is very underrated.

#28 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

He helps us.  No reason to get rid of a guy who helps us.

Franzen (stuck with him) - Zetterberg - ?

Filppula - Datsyuk - ?

? - Helm - ?

? - ? - ?

Kronwall (stuck with him) - Ericsson

Smith - ?

? - ?

?

?

Those are the options.  I would fill in like this if I was GM.

Filppula - Datsyuk - Perry

Franzen - Zetterberg - Brunner

Tatar - Helm - Andersson

Miller - Emmerton - Shehan

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Kindl

Lashoff - Sproul

Mrazek

McCollum

Let the kids play until we get a number 1 D.

Wait for Oullet or Sproul to take over the #1 and #2 spots 3 years from now.  They got mad skill Axedog.  Line 2 we got Kronner where he apparently belongs along with Smith.  Mark it on your calendar.

The only way Flip is expendable is if there's a quality return for him and if Jarnkrok takes his roster spot moments later.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#29 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Wait for Oullet or Sproul to take over the #1 and #2 spots 3 years from now.  They got mad skill Axedog.  Line 2 we got Kronner where he apparently belongs along with Smith.  Mark it on your calendar.

The only way Flip is expendable is if there's a quality return for him and if Jarnkrok takes his roster spot moments later.

Roger That, good buddy. Arent they big too?

#30 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

I think Filppula is more valueable to this team than Franzen. So there. Good luck finding someone to take on a lifetime contract given to someone for one good playoff season.

LOL. Try three good playoff seasons.

#31 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

Reminds me when the Wings parted with Kozlov

Kozlov was dumped because he was horrifically lazy. Franzen has nothing on Kozlov's level of laziness from 1998 through 2001. 

Edited by Crymson, 20 February 2013 - 09:16 PM.

#32 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

Kozlov was dumped because he was horrifically lazy. Franzen has nothing on Kozlov's level of laziness from 1998 through 2001. 

What I meant is Flip reminds me of Kozlov in some degree regarding player type and he was traded for a top tier player.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#33 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

i would trade him in a heart beat for bobby ryan, corey perry, doughty, brown or yandle. otherwise keep

You'd keep him, in other words.

#34 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

Package deal for bobby Ryan. It's hard to say how valuable Flippula is to other teams. I just know I'd like a move, were stagnant keeping Flippula and going nowhere but down.

#35 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

I think Filppula is more valueable to this team than Franzen. So there. Good luck finding someone to take on a lifetime contract given to someone for one good playoff season.

Yes, beause $3.9 million for a guy who's never going to sniff those final years of his contract is really handcuffing this team and their capspace and yet, when healthy adds almost 60pts to the team in regular season and 18+ points in the playoffs.  Sure. No value there AT ALL.

Meanwhile, I'm not even going to touch this NONSENSE about Flip+++ for Ryan.  Why in godsname woud the Ducks trade Ryan if they're making a run? 

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#36 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

The best way to move Franzen is for us to retain some of his cap hit. Which can be done. the he becaomes worth a low 1st/high 2nd round pick, which I would do. The best options for moving Fil is to teams in the east. the Rangers need C's badly, and the Canes are also rumored to be looking. The sens if they stay in it may also be interested in making a move.

Its hard to get a good read on what the RW's are thinking with Fil. If he is oart of the long term plan, then why didn't we resign him last year? the only answer is, if the management isn't sure about him. With his play this year, their fears have come to pass, and he could be moved.

If we could move Franzen for a low 1st, Fil for a 2nd, and Q for a 3rd, I would be happy as a pig in mud. This years draft is the deepest since 2003. Every draft site is talking about its dpth and quality, could be 90-100 player deep. 6 picks in the first 90 for us would completely reload us. Now it will take 2-3 years to fully happen, but you have to start somewhere, and this year is the best one for the next 3.

#37 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

Yes, beause $3.9 million for a guy who's never going to sniff those final years of his contract is really handcuffing this team and their capspace and yet, when healthy adds almost 60pts to the team in regular season and 18+ points in the playoffs.  Sure. No value there AT ALL.

Meanwhile, I'm not even going to touch this NONSENSE about Flip+++ for Ryan.  Why in godsname woud the Ducks trade Ryan if they're making a run? 

To free up Money for Getzlaf and Perry. Ducks aren't going to let one of their franchise players walk just for 1 single shot at the cup. I do agree that Franzen has more value than Flippula

#38 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

To free up Money for Getzlaf and Perry. Ducks aren't going to let one of their franchise players walk just for 1 single shot at the cup. I do agree that Franzen has more value than Flippula

LOL.... The Ducks have 24 million to spend for next season, and only 4 or 5 holes to fill. they are sitting pretty. Even if they have to pay 8 million per for each of G and P, they can afford to do it. Plus and this is big, they are able to offer both aan 8 year contract, where as all other teams can only offer a 7 year deal. If G and/or P leave he Ducks it is only because they choose to and don't want to play there. they can get more by resigning then they can get from any other team.

#39 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

Roger That, good buddy. Arent they big too?

Sproul is 6'4, 200 lbs, 18 goals, 40 assissts for 58 points in 39 games.  That's just nasty on D.  Probably our future top Offensive Dman.

Ouellet is 6'0, 187 lbs, 9 goals, 27 assists for 36 points in 40 games.  He's one hell of a 2-way Dman that was even better than Dougie Hamilton on our terrible Canadian WJC blueline.  

Those 2 will hopefully make the best D pairing in the league in a few years, as Keith and Seabrook were when the Hawks won the Cup in 2010.

As for Flip, even if he is a rental for a team, he still has great trade value cause for a team like the Hawks, Bruins or especially the Flyers that could definitely use a guy like him, he could be one of the last pieces that a team needs to win it all cause he's a great 2-way forward.  I'd love to get a guy like Matt Read from the Flyers.  I mention him cause there's no way we'd get Voracek or Brayden Schenn.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#40 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

The best way to move Franzen is for us to retain some of his cap hit. Which can be done.

Teams can share salary, but not cap hit.

People are ignoring the fact that trading a player when his value is low means getting little in return.

• DSM likes this