• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#41 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

Take out Flip's 3 points from the 4th game of the year & he's put up a whopping 5 points in the past 12 games.  His so called "breakout season" of 66 points last year is looking more & more like an aberration.  If he really is in the Wings' long term plans, you would think Kenny's talking to his agent already about an extension.  If the ceiling of his prime years is going to be as a complimentary 2nd line winger/sometime center that can't put up more than 40 points a season but plays a defensively responsible game, he shouldn't look for too much of a raise.  If he is & you know you're going to cut him loose at the end of the season, flip him to a contender for at least a little compensation if you're already out of the playoff run.  A little return is better than none after all.

#42 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

Trading fil is not the answer.

#43 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

Trading fil is not the answer.

It's not the answer but may be a start. We need some big players to come in and it will cost to get them and I think we should look to make some significant changes.

#44 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hate to say it but to stay competitive it is going to cost Holland and Company
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#45 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Teams can share salary, but not cap hit.

People are ignoring the fact that trading a player when his value is low means getting little in return.

You're ingnoring the fact that trade value means little in NHL13 GM Mode.... :lol:

If anyone is hoping that Holland packages Filppula for a better player (Bobby Ryan, #1 dman, etc etc), you're dreaming. Slated to become a UFA, Filppula has ZERO value in a trade like that. The players that teams would most want for players like Bobby Ryan would include: Brendan Smith, Darren Helm, Gustav Nyquist or Tomas Tatar AND draft picks. No, they won't want Dan Cleary, Mikael Samuelsson, Ian White or Kyle Quincey.

They only way Holland even considers moving Filppula is if by April 3rd the Red Wings are out of the playoff picture. Playoff teams, or teams close to the playoffs will no doubt be calling Holland with offers for Filppula. And don't get your hopes up, they WILL NOT be offering players of Bobby Ryans caliber in exchange. They WILL be offering draft picks, lower level roster players and/or mediocre prospects. If your curious as to what that may be, look back at the past 5 trade deadlines and look at the returns for 2nd line forwards. The return will be something like that.

If the Red Wings are poised to make the playoffs, or are on the playoff bubble, Filppula will go nowhere. EVEN if they think he will sign elsewhere in the offseason.

/ end thread.

#46 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Depends on what we're getting in return.

Good guy, hard-worker, team player...but in terms of his value to the team and organization at large? I don't see what other people are seeing when they say he's off-limits, is an essential part of the team's plans going forward, etc. He's a softish Euro playmaker who plays a good two-way game. Does this organization generally struggle with finding guys like that? Are there no Fil-types on our roster, in the pipeline, in every draft?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#47 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Depends on what we're getting in return.

Good guy, hard-worker, team player...but in terms of his value to the team and organization at large? I don't see what other people are seeing when they say he's off-limits, is an essential part of the team's plans going forward, etc. He's a softish Euro playmaker who plays a good two-way game. Does this organization generally struggle with finding guys like that? Are there no Fil-types on our roster, in the pipeline, in every draft?

Yes, of course it depends on what you get in return. Same goes for any player. He's not so much "off-limits" as "probably not going to bring a return that actually makes us better".

We may not be good enough that that should be much of a concern though, so trading him for a pick might be a good option.

#48 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Filppula at 3 mil a season could be the best deal in hockey. He can play any position from forward 1 thru 9, plays PP and PK, and is a supreme defensively. We should only dump him if his salary demands are prohibitive. Right now, you have to look at Sammy and think that we are just raping Filppula and Ericsson.

#49 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Take out Flip's 3 points from the 4th game of the year & he's put up a whopping 5 points in the past 12 games.  His so called "breakout season" of 66 points last year is looking more & more like an aberration.  If he really is in the Wings' long term plans, you would think Kenny's talking to his agent already about an extension.  If the ceiling of his prime years is going to be as a complimentary 2nd line winger/sometime center that can't put up more than 40 points a season but plays a defensively responsible game, he shouldn't look for too much of a raise.  If he is & you know you're going to cut him loose at the end of the season, flip him to a contender for at least a little compensation if you're already out of the playoff run.  A little return is better than none after all.

Take out Gretzky's 4 goal game 39 and it might be 50 in 43. If my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle.

#50 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Trading Flippula + Franzen can get us quite a bit. People underestimate Franzens value he has a low cap hit for his production and is known around the league as being a beast in the playoffs. Flippula idk if he's worth trading seeing as he's a UFA.

#51 Donohue75

Donohue75

Rookie

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

This isn't playstation it doesn't work that way just because you want a player doesn't mean you can just go out and get him. Last year was proof of that. quote name="The Axe" post="2358341" timestamp="1361391274"]He helps us.  No reason to get rid of a guy who helps us.

Franzen (stuck with him) - Zetterberg - ?
Filppula - Datsyuk - ?
? - Helm - ?
? - ? - ?

Kronwall (stuck with him) - Ericsson
Smith - ?
? - ?

?
?

Those are the options.  I would fill in like this if I was GM.

Filppula - Datsyuk - Perry
Franzen - Zetterberg - Brunner
Tatar - Helm - Andersson
Miller - Emmerton - Shehan

Kronwall - Ericsson
Smith - Kindl
Lashoff - Sproul

Mrazek
McCollum

Let the kids play until we get a number 1 D.[/quote]

Where did Jimmy go?

Sproul - Will not go directly from the OHL To the NHL, which is probably best..... 

McCollum's days as a Wing are done, the team has no confidence in him

Where did Abs go and Tootoo?  I see no reason to dump them so far this year.... 

I for one agree with let the kids play, however they do need to adjust in the AHL prior to the NHL, this is one of the best things this Orginaztion does, they let players develop....Defenceman going from Jr to the NHL are RARE, and look at the Luke Scheen disaster in Toronto... he was never ready for the jump yet was pushed to it,

I would love to see Perry on the wings, but at what expense would it take to get him

It's been a great honor for me to be a player for the Detroit Red Wings, to play for an Original Six franchise. I know I'm far from perfect, but I learned a lot.
Steve Yzerman

#52 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Take out Gretzky's 4 goal game 39 and it might be 50 in 43. If my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle.

Pretty sure the game Gretzky got 50 goals in 39 games his empty net goal was his 5th was it not?

As for Flip, I think Holland should try to sign him now for 3 mil per for 5 years while he's not producing all that well, cause I for one believe he's gonna pick it up, and soon.

At this point, I'm not really sure where Flip would be traded and what teams are even willing to give up even for a really good 2-way fwd. And you all know full well that other GMs love going after our prospects. Most will want package deals with Flip + any of Smith, Nyquist, Sproul, Ouellet, Jurco, Sheahan. Don't know about you guys but if I was GM and I was trading something like that I'd want Ryan and Fowler back for example.

Maybe Ovechkin wants out of Washington lol.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#53 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

Flips a solid all around player (like a middle class Hank) but he's our best asset in a trade. I'd rather package him for someone better than keep cause he's peaked already imo.

#54 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Trading Flippula + Franzen can get us quite a bit. People underestimate Franzens value he has a low cap hit for his production and is known around the league as being a beast in the playoffs. Flippula idk if he's worth trading seeing as he's a UFA.

I'd rather keep Filp, then trade Franzen, Mursak, and Kindle.

#55 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Pretty sure the game Gretzky got 50 goals in 39 games his empty net goal was his 5th was it not?

As for Flip, I think Holland should try to sign him now for 3 mil per for 5 years while he's not producing all that well, cause I for one believe he's gonna pick it up, and soon.

At this point, I'm not really sure where Flip would be traded and what teams are even willing to give up even for a really good 2-way fwd. And you all know full well that other GMs love going after our prospects. Most will want package deals with Flip + any of Smith, Nyquist, Sproul, Ouellet, Jurco, Sheahan. Don't know about you guys but if I was GM and I was trading something like that I'd want Ryan and Fowler back for example.

Maybe Ovechkin wants out of Washington lol.

The spoiled Wing fan in me has was dreaming of this earlier in the season but with Ovie turning it around I think the pipedream ended. imo Washington would be insane to trade away a generational player even if he isn't performing up to his standards they're still making bank with merch and publicity. Imagine how irrelevant (mainstream-wise) Washington would become in an instant if he was traded. If my dream scenario I'd give up Flip + Franzen and one of Smith, Nyquist, Jurco, Quellet, etc + a first and maybe a 3rd rounder. If Washington doesn't bite throw in another pick. It's worth throwing the farm imo. It keeps Dats here in hockeytown, makes us a contender, and gives us a cornerstone when Pav and Hank decide to call it quits. Oh well at least I'll have NHL13.

Ovie - Dats - Brunner
Burt - Zett - Sammy
Cleary - Helm - Abs
Miller - Emmerton - Tootoo

that's prob the best I'd hope for but I'd prefer

Ovie - Dats - Burt
Nyquist - Zett - Brunner
Tatar - Helm - Abs/Cleary(idk they're both sucking right now pick one)
Miller - Emmerton - Tootoo (this line has been doing well imo)
Eaves

or if we wanna stack

Ovie - Dats - Zett (holy fk)
Nyquist - Tatar - Brunner (man that'd be interesting)
Burt - Helm - Cleary/Abs
Miller - Emmerton - Tootoo

I haven't seen anything in Mursak to show me he's an NHLer. Trade Sammy away or something.

our D sucks so I'm not gonna bother

another NHL13 dream I have is something like Flip + cap filler + Prospect + Pick for Iginla and Franzen + cap filler + Prospect + Pick for Alfie. Win now before Zett is broken down and Dats is in Russia. ah to have 2 lines of hall of famers I miss those pre-lock out teams.

Edited by Number19, 21 February 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#56 Classic

Classic

Jimmy Howard fanboi.

• 25 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Nah, don't see Filps leaving anytime soon.

As stated before, he's a roster player. Holland likes to keep them for as long as possible.

Detroit Red Wings - Brunning away with it.

Glasgow Celtic F.C. - A Commons affair.

#57 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

Yes, of course it depends on what you get in return. Same goes for any player. He's not so much "off-limits" as "probably not going to bring a return that actually makes us better".

Sorry, forgot the [/captainobvious] tag. Definitely seen people call him off-limits. As in, like, full-on off-limits. And so they'll probably go to hell when they die, and what-not.

FILAPOOLA!

Don't Toews me, bro!

#58 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

I'm all for trading him, hes a bit to soft on the puck for my tastes. He's shown flashes of greatness but thats it just flashes.

However i dont see him going anywhere cause holland doesnt trade roster players ever.

I've always appreciated Flips solid 2-way play, but as expected he's nothing more than a 40 pt guy in a 82 game season (give or take 5 pts).

Many here expect a repeat of last years performance (66 pts in 81 games)...Personally IMHO that's a bit of a stretch; as of now he's on pace for 24 pts in 48 games - again that's roughly 41 pts in a 82 game schedule; he's on his usual pace.

I'd rather see Franzen moved, but what can ya do?

Flips a solid all around player (like a middle class Hank) but he's our best asset in a trade. I'd rather package him for someone better than keep cause he's peaked already imo.

Agreed.

I doubt we'll see last seasons production anytime in the future.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#59 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

If we trade Flip we aren't going to get much in return.   Yes Detroit needs help but it is going to take at least two or three years to rebuild/reload.

#60 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

Take out all the words in your post and then you have a worthless post.

Well, it's worthless either way.

As usual with Flip, look at even strength scoring. Third on the team, 2 less than Pav, 4 less than Z. He seems to not be scoring, but it's because he doesn't have any points on the PP. Why? Because he plays with scrubs on the 2nd PP unit.

That said, he has played pretty crappy the past few games. Last night was a little better. He'll get it going again, though.

PS: Who had the most even strength points last year? Filppula.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!