• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
number9

Trading Filppula

Rate this topic

I'm a big fan of Filppula yet I have to admit that I seriously hope they're shopping him or at least starting to get trade talks going. Yeah I get that Kenny said "It's too early to judge this team" and "We don't know what we have yet with this team" or whatever but he should be aware of what can be realistically available for him as an option. Trades can take a looooooong time to come to fruition and so you want to start those talks early but I'm sure he knows that. I really don't want the organization to lose him for nothing.

I read that the Kings would be a good fit for him. Dont know about that.

I doubt the Red Wings would trade him to LA unless the Wings are way out of the playoff race at the deadline. If they were to trade him to LA now, the price would have to be astronomical since the two teams are competing for the same playoff spots.

I'm a big fan of Filppula yet I have to admit that I seriously hope they're shopping him or at least starting to get trade talks going. Yeah I get that Kenny said "It's too early to judge this team" and "We don't know what we have yet with this team" or whatever but he should be aware of what can be realistically available for him as an option. Trades can take a looooooong time to come to fruition and so you want to start those talks early but I'm sure he knows that. I really don't want the organization to lose him for nothing.

I'm sure Holland is kicking tires out there, but I'm betting a lot of the other teams GM's are in the same "too early to judge the team" boat.

Yeah obviously if we're out of a playoffs spot and if we knew he wasn't going to be resigned, of course trade him if we can. But he is going to resign and we won't be out of a playoffs spot. But the fact is Fil plays center, and no other center other than Z and Pav obviously come close to Z, Pav or Fil so he need to so we can play Pav and Z together if we need to. Fil's talent doesn't make him untouchable, his position does.

I agree. The Wings don't have anyone ready to step into the 2c postion if Z or Dats is injured and Flip is traded.

I have nothing against Filps but I also agree with people stating, that he is our best asset. I could see a team like the Blue Jackets highly interested in him, they do have 3 round picks this year so if we could get a first round pick from them for him, it would be great. Better get something out of him than let him leave for nothing in the offseason right?

OR

Kick the tires for JayBo and offer Filps + 2nd + Kindl this would give the Flames a pick, an estabilished NHL player plus a depth guy.

I really like what Filp brings to the Wings. Yes, I wish points were more of that equation, of course. The Illitch's are so family oriented, I think they 'd have a hard time parting with him. J-Bo trade would probably be the only thing I'd consider.

Or like I said before, Iginla looks like he's finally out of gas, but like the Vancouver Team 1040 radio guys say "Why is it that every player that puts on a Wings jersey suddenly gets 50% better?" so I still like the idea of a blockbuster trade that includes Bo and Iggy...but I realize it's not very realistic...

Edit: Not to mention, Kenny's stock with Cagary is probably at an all time high at the moment: At this point in time, they love Hudler and they love MacDonald, and are raving about the Detroit system.

Edited by T.Low

I don't know how often it needs be said that some of you radically overrate Bouwmeester.

I agree to an extent. Although for some reason that I can't fully explain, I just think he would be a great fit for the Wings.

I mean right off the bat... he never gets hurt...

Guest Crymson

I'm sure Holland is kicking tires out there, but I'm betting a lot of the other teams GM's are in the same "too early to judge the team" boat.

Welcome to the late salary cap era, in which just about no teams are out of the playoff hunt at the deadline.

I don't understand how through 5 pages of trade discussion people are still proposing Fil + pick and prospect in exchange for a top player from a another team. There is no scenario where Fil gets dealt to a non-playoff team. None. There's no value there. At all. He's a pending UFA. Nor does it make any sense that we would get a player anywhere close to his level. Playoff teams would most definitely have interest but would never trade a roster player of same or higher value. How does that make any sense if they want to contend? They would offer picks, a prospect or a marginal roster player. We will be lucky to get a low 2nd round pick in a deep draft if traded. But I dont think he will be regardless. Its just not the Red Wing's style.

I don't understand how through 5 pages of trade discussion people are still proposing Fil + pick and prospect in exchange for a top player from a another team. There is no scenario where Fil gets dealt to a non-playoff team. None. There's no value there. At all. He's a pending UFA. Nor does it make any sense that we would get a player anywhere close to his level. Playoff teams would most definitely have interest but would never trade a roster player of same or higher value. How does that make any sense if they want to contend? They would offer picks, a prospect or a marginal roster player. We will be lucky to get a low 2nd round pick in a deep draft if traded. But I dont think he will be regardless. Its just not the Red Wing's style.

That must not matter in NHL13...

Edit: Not to mention, Kenny's stock with Cagary is probably at an all time high at the moment: At this point in time, they love Hudler and they love MacDonald, and are raving about the Detroit system.

Bingo. They're impressed as hell with Hudler. He's been very good but man, he was mediocre compared to the skill we have in guys like Pav, Hank, Brunner or various other guys. It's like impressing tech-illiterate people with decent computer tricks lol.

Regardless of Flip's contract or the playoff expectations of any other team, Flip plus any of our picks and prospects aren't likely to return a player like Bobby Ryan. But an older player, particularly if they are also in the last year of their contract and/or not currently performing well (Iginla) could be possible. But that kind of deal wouldn't really make sense for us.

Any team looking for help at forward, particularly at center, would be interested in Flip. Being in the last year of his deal lowers his value, but it doesn't eliminate it altogether. What would make the most sense for us would be Flip + defenseman (plus maybe a pick or prospect) for a better defenseman. That kind of deal could work with anyone that has a deep defense. I don't know if any teams would be a good fit for that, Columbus maybe, though I doubt they'd give up Johnson. Wis, Tyutin, or Nikitin wouldn't interest me all that much.

Also, teams looking to shed salary or part ways with an under-performing player could have some interest. Again, I don't know if there are any good fits around the league, but there might be. Probably not a situation that works for us, since that would usually be an older player, but you never really know who might be available.

But I'd agree that he won't be moved at all.

Ok, lets go with some hypothetic situation here. With the rumblings of Ian White on the block (which is just that rumblings) let's say Holland has a package of:

Filppula

White

Kindl

...what type of player would you expect to see in return for something like that...even spice it up by throwing a prospect in there if you have to. All pending FA's, so you may not get a great player in return, but realistically, what could you see coming back?

Ok, lets go with some hypothetic situation here. With the rumblings of Ian White on the block (which is just that rumblings) let's say Holland has a package of:

Filppula

White

Kindl

...what type of player would you expect to see in return for something like that...even spice it up by throwing a prospect in there if you have to. All pending FA's, so you may not get a great player in return, but realistically, what could you see coming back?

No one that would be an upgrade over any of those players. I doubt anyone would take all three of those players in a deal. Maybe Filppula and White together to a playoff contender as rentals, but that's unlikely as well.

Filppula

White

Kindl

Draft Picks. That is all.

The fact that Filppula is turning 29 next month makes me feel really old, and also makes me realize how much this team is aging. Flip's a UFA after the season, and his salary is actually $3.5 million. Still, based on his 2011-12 numbers (and throwing out this year's #'s as a statistical aberration), he probably is going to want a raise in the $4 or $5 million range.

My feelings on Filppula are much more positive than those towards Jiri Hudler, but both of them are decent players who just always felt out of place on this team. Part of that might be just because he's a Finn on a team with a ton of Swedes. He unquestionably has value as a puck carrier, but for a guy that racks up a fair amount of assists, it's not like I can picture him latching onto a Cleary, Franzen, or Bertuzzi and just setting up plays for them with any regularity.

I don't think he'll be traded because we'll be in the playoff hunt and it's not worth moving him for "rental" value. But I also don't know for sure that we resign him.

Filppula

White

Kindl

Packaging White and Kindl together probably doesn't work. Few if any teams are going to want two roster defenseman, and even if they did they'd likely be sending just a forward back (and maybe a throw-away d-man). In that case I'd want either a nice upgrade over Flip or an equivalent player plus a decent pick. I doubt anyone would bite on that.

Replacing White with a pick or prospect would be better for most teams. Kindl is an RFA, which is basically the same as being under contract. He won't get much of a raise and no one will make any offers for him, so he's a pretty safe acquisition. Still not going to get anything too exciting, unless we use our 1st-rounder and it looks to be top-10 (and if that's the case, I'd rather keep the pick). A good stay at home defenseman plus a tweener top-6 forward or some kind of prospect would be a likely return.

Something like Hejda + O'Reilly might make sense for both sides, assuming the Avs are willing to trade with us. They get immediate help on offense and rid themselves of a player they seem unable to sign; we get a younger version of Flip and immediate help on defense. Use a draft pick to balance it out, depending on how sour the relationship is between them and O'Reilly and how much touble they'd have filling Hejda's role. Probably conditional as well, based on our signing of O'Reilly and their signing Flip.

Filppula

White

Kindl

Dallas feels like trading away their good players, lets go with Loui Eriksson. Get the WC line of Eriksson-Z-Mule back together and give Dats Brunner and Tatar and I poop myself from extreme happiness.

OK, I've been out for quite awhile with physical problems for both me and my spouse. So I need to ask why Fil has been out of (at least) the last two games. Is he injured or was he a healthy scratch?

I can't remember the last time I fully watched him when he had the puck. He has SO much talent - you KNOW he does - but he has never, EVER lived up to his potential. Yeah, I know you can say that about most players, but he just.does.not.change.his play.no matter what they threaten him with. On the other hand we all know players who've improved their game with the Wings. He seems to be OK moving the puck in the neutral zone but almost invariably loses it in the offensive zone. And nine out of ten times, he will pass instead of shoot when he has the chance. I wouldn't mind at all seeing him go. Even Franzen shot at the net last night and it was beautiful to behold.

End of rant.

OK, I've been out for quite awhile with physical problems for both me and my spouse. So I need to ask why Fil has been out of (at least) the last two games. Is he injured or was he a healthy scratch?

I can't remember the last time I fully watched him when he had the puck. He has SO much talent - you KNOW he does - but he has never, EVER lived up to his potential. Yeah, I know you can say that about most players, but he just.does.not.change.his play.no matter what they threaten him with. On the other hand we all know players who've improved their game with the Wings. He seems to be OK moving the puck in the neutral zone but almost invariably loses it in the offensive zone. And nine out of ten times, he will pass instead of shoot when he has the chance. I wouldn't mind at all seeing him go. Even Franzen shot at the net last night and it was beautiful to behold.

End of rant.

Out with a left shoulder injury he suffered in the Canucks game.

Edited by ogreslayer

He's worth it if we don't have a chance at any of the UFAs, If we do let him walk and try and give that 4.5mil + to guys like Perry, Semin, Horton, Smid, Lubo, or hell even Iginla.

In a perfect world I'd rather see KH keep Filp and buy out/trade Franzen in order to make spaces for any UFAs, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

I'm in the boat too that Franzen would be better to trade than Flip. Give Flip 3.8-4 mil per for a few years and then assess him again then. He is a really good 2-way player who hustles and his only real knock is that he needs to shoot more...way more. Franzen on the other hand, while he had a good stretch of games this year, he's back to his lazy self. He stopped hitting, he's taking weak ass shots and he doesn't hustle in the least. I say try and trade Franzen to Calgary for a 1st round pick if they'll give it up. I don't care if we get anything else other than a 1st cause that would give us a good shot at getting a pick close enough to get Ryan Pulock and it'll free up a roster spot to keep Tatar and maybe bring up Nyquist, both of which also hustle and don't piss off the general population of LGW. So as far as i'm concerned, that would be win-win.

Let him go

That depends. We need o find out about Datsyuk first. Is he staying or going home. If he is staying then you can let Filppula go-trade him. If Datsyuk is going then resign Fil and we still have money left over for another player.