• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#61 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

I have nothing against Filps but I also agree with people stating, that he is our best asset. I could see a team like the Blue Jackets highly interested in him, they do have 3 round picks this year so if we could get a first round pick from them for him, it would be great. Better get something out of him than let him leave for nothing in the offseason right?

OR

Kick the tires for JayBo and offer Filps + 2nd + Kindl this would give the Flames a pick, an estabilished NHL player plus a depth guy.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#62 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

I have nothing against Filps but I also agree with people stating, that he is our best asset. I could see a team like the Blue Jackets highly interested in him, they do have 3 round picks this year so if we could get a first round pick from them for him, it would be great. Better get something out of him than let him leave for nothing in the offseason right?

OR

Kick the tires for JayBo and offer Filps + 2nd + Kindl this would give the Flames a pick, an estabilished NHL player plus a depth guy.

Quite a few here don't care much for J-Bo - however I wouldn't mind seeing what he could bring to thr Motor City, and yes - that offer you proposed might be good enough (although it's quite possibly the Flames would ask for a better Dman).

Forgive my ignorance, but is there any "decent" UFA available this summer?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#63 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

OR

I guess I wonder why Columbus would trade with us when they have no need of adding a guy like Filpulla this season (unless they go on a miracle playoff run) and can just persue him in the offseason as he'll ne a UFA. Same with Calgary really.

Quite a few here don't care much for J-Bo - however I wouldn't mind seeing what he could bring to thr Motor City, and yes - that offer you proposed might be good enough (although it's quite possibly the Flames would ask for a better Dman).

Forgive my ignorance, but is there any "decent" UFA available this summer?

Generally speaking:

Forwards? Yup. Defence? Nope.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#64 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Take out all the words in your post and then you have a worthless post.

Well, it's worthless either way.

As usual with Flip, look at even strength scoring. Third on the team, 2 less than Pav, 4 less than Z. He seems to not be scoring, but it's because he doesn't have any points on the PP. Why? Because he plays with scrubs on the 2nd PP unit.

That said, he has played pretty crappy the past few games. Last night was a little better. He'll get it going again, though.

PS: Who had the most even strength points last year? Filppula.

Worthless?  Seriously?  I think your crush on Flip is coloring your interpretation of what I wrote a little too much.  All I'm saying is it comes down to is the front office's expectations of what type of player Val would be for them going forward & whether the two sides agree to how much that's worth.  It's all a value equation, that's no different for Val than it is for any other player.  

Let's take a look at two examples from last season, Hudler & Stuart.  There was plenty of chatter in the media about neither re-signing with Huds wanting more money & a larger role on the team & Stewie wanting to go back to Cali for family reasons.  Even though neither were obviously traded at the deadline despite Kenny knowing they weren't going to re-sign, you better believe it was considered.  If their current+future value to the team is less than the value of what the Wings are offered in return, it can & will happen.  While Huds & Stewie held no future value to the team at the trade deadline last season, they held current value at the time because the Wings were jockeying for playoff position.  If they were out of the playoff hunt, current value is nil & the chances of both being traded at the deadline would have been damn close to 100% as far as I'm concerned.  

So let's say that Val & his agent want him paid like a top 6 defensively responsible forward who plays in all situations & puts up around 70 points a season like he did last year.  We're talking Kesler/Bergeron range so put it at $5m+ a year.  What if Kenny & his staff think his ceiling is the 40 point range which is worth $3.75-4m a year, Val & his agent disagree and say unless you pay him he's gone?  Not out of the realm of possibility at all.  (See Hudler, Jiri)  If the Wings are out of the playoff hunt at the deadline, they're sure Val is going to sign somewhere else, & a playoff team is willing to offer picks and/or prospects to rent him for a run at The Cup, Kenny would be insane not to consider it.

If the Wings front office doesn't know the price they would ask for every player in their organization, not just UFAs/RFAs but current rosters players & prospects too, no matter the circumstance i.e. lock for playoffs, in contention, out of the race, etc., they aren't doing their jobs.  To say with 100% certainly that a player would never be traded is just ridiculous. Better believe that right now Kenny has a good idea what it would take for him to trade even Pavel.  There's always a price, it's just whether or not you can find someone to meet it.

#65 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

^ Agreed ^

Listen, I love Flip. But if Detroit continue to free-fall and I were Holland, I'd let everyone know he was available. If Guastad gets you a 1st and 3rd or something, imagine what Filpulla gets you as a rental for a contender.

At some point you have to deal from your strengths (Detroit could possible replace Filp with Jarnkrok or Nyquist hopefully) to improve your weeknesses (more high-end prospects).

I would say the same thing about free agency. If Detroit can get a legit scoring winger for the same cap hit Filpulla may command, then you have to seriously explore this option.

All this being said, I'd have no problem if they kept him for the next 5-7 years either.

• DSM likes this
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#66 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

^ Agreed ^

Listen, I love Flip. But if Detroit continue to free-fall and I were Holland, I'd let everyone know he was available. If Guastad gets you a 1st and 3rd or something, imagine what Filpulla gets you as a rental for a contender.

At some point you have to deal from your strengths (Detroit could possible replace Filp with Jarnkrok or Nyquist hopefully) to improve your weeknesses (more high-end prospects).

I would say the same thing about free agency. If Detroit can get a legit scoring winger for the same cap hit Filpulla may command, then you have to seriously explore this option.

All this being said, I'd have no problem if they kept him for the next 5-7 years either.

I somewhat agree. If the Red Wings aren't in the play off hunt at the deadline, they could probably get a decent return for him from a contender. The guy may not be having a good season so far, but he netted 66pts last season and has one of the most impressive playoff resume's for a player under 30. He would bring a decent package.Then, they can replace him in the top 6 with Tatar or Nyquist, or sing an top 6 forward that brings a different dimension.

I think the same would go for Ian White at the deadline.

Once again (for the 4th time I think...) however, Filppula will have no value to teams like Columbus or Calgary.

OR

If I'm Jay Feaster and Holland calls me with that offer, I would hang up the phone immediately.

Edited by DSM, 22 February 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#67 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

filppula isnt going anywhere guys hes a ufa no one will trade us back a player thats  under contract for a ufa and the wings love filppula best thing to do would be resign him with a no trade clause and in a year or 2 if we wanna get rid of him we get something back

#68 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

filppula isnt going anywhere guys hes a ufa no one will trade us back a player thats  under contract for a ufa and the wings love filppula best thing to do would be resign him with a no trade clause and in a year or 2 if we wanna get rid of him we get something back

Huh?

#69 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Huh?

meant ... resign him with no  no  trade clause in his deal :) ... my bad

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 22 February 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#70 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Because teams facing losing a player to free agency NEVER trade them to Cup contenders to get some return on their investment right?  Like say a certain former Wing for 1 season that people are still butt-hurt over Kenny not signing in favor of Franzen as a recent example?  Not saying that Flip=Hossa but to say he's got no value in a trade because he's a UFA at the end of the season is a little short-sighted.  

#71 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

I've been of the mindset to keep Flip because we're going to need depth at center in the near future, but he seems to only be effective on the left wing. Really wanted to see a Filppula-Pulkkinen connection one day. That being said, I'd be up for moving him if it could shake things up in a positive way.

#72 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Because teams facing losing a player to free agency NEVER trade them to Cup contenders to get some return on their investment right?  Like say a certain former Wing for 1 season that people are still butt-hurt over Kenny not signing in favor of Franzen as a recent example?  Not saying that Flip=Hossa but to say he's got no value in a trade because he's a UFA at the end of the season is a little short-sighted.  

They certainly won't trade him if they are in postition to make the playoffs, or are still in the race for spot #8.

#73 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

Worthless?  Seriously?  I think your crush on Flip is coloring your interpretation of what I wrote a little too much.  All I'm saying is it comes down to is the front office's expectations of what type of player Val would be for them going forward & whether the two sides agree to how much that's worth.  It's all a value equation, that's no different for Val than it is for any other player.  

Let's take a look at two examples from last season, Hudler & Stuart.  There was plenty of chatter in the media about neither re-signing with Huds wanting more money & a larger role on the team & Stewie wanting to go back to Cali for family reasons.  Even though neither were obviously traded at the deadline despite Kenny knowing they weren't going to re-sign, you better believe it was considered.  If their current+future value to the team is less than the value of what the Wings are offered in return, it can & will happen.  While Huds & Stewie held no future value to the team at the trade deadline last season, they held current value at the time because the Wings were jockeying for playoff position.  If they were out of the playoff hunt, current value is nil & the chances of both being traded at the deadline would have been damn close to 100% as far as I'm concerned.  

So let's say that Val & his agent want him paid like a top 6 defensively responsible forward who plays in all situations & puts up around 70 points a season like he did last year.  We're talking Kesler/Bergeron range so put it at $5m+ a year.  What if Kenny & his staff think his ceiling is the 40 point range which is worth $3.75-4m a year, Val & his agent disagree and say unless you pay him he's gone?  Not out of the realm of possibility at all.  (See Hudler, Jiri)  If the Wings are out of the playoff hunt at the deadline, they're sure Val is going to sign somewhere else, & a playoff team is willing to offer picks and/or prospects to rent him for a run at The Cup, Kenny would be insane not to consider it.

If the Wings front office doesn't know the price they would ask for every player in their organization, not just UFAs/RFAs but current rosters players & prospects too, no matter the circumstance i.e. lock for playoffs, in contention, out of the race, etc., they aren't doing their jobs.  To say with 100% certainly that a player would never be traded is just ridiculous. Better believe that right now Kenny has a good idea what it would take for him to trade even Pavel.  There's always a price, it's just whether or not you can find someone to meet it.

Probably a very minimal consideration. Hollands #1 focus at that point was to strengthen the team for the playoffs. Even though they may not have been coming back, trading them away would've had the opposite effect and the rage probably would've overloaded the servers on this forum.

#74 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

They certainly won't trade him if they are in postition to make the playoffs, or are still in the race for spot #8.

Which is what I've already stated in a couple of other posts.  IF they're out of contention & IF they know that Flip won't sign for what they would offer....  Even if they know he won't re-sign & but he's a key piece for them making the playoffs if they're still in contention, he'll stick around like Huds & Stewie did last year.

Edited by ogreslayer, 22 February 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#75 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Which is what I've already stated in a couple of other posts.

Oh sorry, got confused with Hossa being mentioned.

#76 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Yeah obviously if we're out of a playoffs spot and if we knew he wasn't going to be resigned, of course trade him if we can. But he is going to resign and we won't be out of a playoffs spot. But the fact is Fil plays center, and no other center other than Z and Pav obviously come close to Z, Pav or Fil so he need to so we can play Pav and Z together if we need to. Fil's talent doesn't make him untouchable, his position does.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#77 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Fil can be replaced. Not sure if he is worth what some think he is on here as a trade asset. 

#78 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

I'm a big fan of Filppula yet I have to admit that I seriously hope they're shopping him or at least starting to get trade talks going.  Yeah I get that Kenny said "It's too early to judge this team" and "We don't know what we have yet with this team" or whatever but he should be aware of what can be realistically available for him as an option.  Trades can take a looooooong time to come to fruition and so you want to start those talks early but I'm sure he knows that.  I really don't want the organization to lose him for nothing. 

#79 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

I read that the Kings would be a good fit for him. Dont know about that.

#80 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

I read that the Kings would be a good fit for him. Dont know about that.

I doubt the Red Wings would trade him to LA unless the Wings are way out of the playoff race at the deadline. If they were to trade him to LA now, the price would have to be astronomical since the two teams are competing for the same playoff spots.

I'm a big fan of Filppula yet I have to admit that I seriously hope they're shopping him or at least starting to get trade talks going.  Yeah I get that Kenny said "It's too early to judge this team" and "We don't know what we have yet with this team" or whatever but he should be aware of what can be realistically available for him as an option.  Trades can take a looooooong time to come to fruition and so you want to start those talks early but I'm sure he knows that.  I really don't want the organization to lose him for nothing. 

I'm sure Holland is kicking tires out there, but I'm betting a lot of the other teams GM's are in the same "too early to judge the team" boat.